Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dual Pane Window - lost seal

We have a 2002 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis. The window on the driver's side directly in front of the driver side door has evidently developed a leak as it has moisture inside. Has anyone replaced this window themselves. It appears to be screwed in. Where would we purchase one?
Nick and Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2002 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis. The window on the driver's side directly in front of the driver side door has evidently developed a leak as it has moisture inside. Has anyone replaced this window themselves. It appears to be screwed in. Where would we purchase one?
Nick and Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
KCE
Winnebago Owner

I don't how close you are to Media Camping Center in PA but they replaced the top DS window (dual pane)in mine about a month ago. I'm pretty sure they can order you one. 1-800-726-4761
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I haven't personally changed one out, but I have tried to remove a small one that had a leak when the coach was new. It was firmly stuck with the sealing tape and I gave up (the coach was in warranty.) Don't think the screws do much more than hold the inside trim together.

Pretty sure techs use a putty knife coupled with knowledge of watching somebody else remove a window.

If it was my coach, I would bite the bullet (wallet) and pay somebody to do the window swap.

My windows are made by Excel (Excell?) which I think is an Attwood company

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I need that one replaced also, I had the passenger side window replaced by my selling dealer for the small cost of $600 These windows must be junk. My bottom flip out bedroom window needs replacing also. I know that sticky tape under the frame is REALLY STICKY for sure. you could use a plastic putty knife very carefully to scrape it off.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn motors can get you the window. A car window replacement place can install it if your dealer doesn't want to. My dealer ordered AND replaced the glass for me.

The right side forward most window on mine was completly fogged up on mine
,could not see the mirror and until I could get it fixed I had the Car place remove the INSIDE glass so I could see the mirror worked fine.

Now the left side is showing signs of wanting to fog, but its not bad enough to replace as yet.. Good Luck

Now
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the same fogging problem with the double pane windows on both front forward windows in my coach. They have been fogged for 4 of the 5 years I have owned it. Local glass company says it will be an expensive repair. I personally think this should be reported to NHTSA as a re-call item. It really interferes with viewing the rear view mirrors on the passenger side. I have filed complaints, but it will take a lot of complaints to get them re-called.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Go to a car glass repair shop ask them to remove the inside window of the double pane.

They careful drill a hole in the bottom corner, the window pops and spider webs in a thousand pieces. He then careful removed the glass into a plastic bag and vacuumed up the pieces. I then only had one piece of glass instead of a double pane cleaned it and could see the mirror just fine..Course did not have the insulating factor of two panes,,but I could see the mirror and you would never have to put in a new glass if you didn't want to. I did and my dealer ordered the glass from Winnie and if I remember correctly it was about $170.00 + freight...Good miles.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ichn2go: Very interesting way to handle the problem. Insulated glass at that location is not as important as being able to see your mirror. One could always focus a 12V fan on the glass in cold weather to keep it clear.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my 2002 Adventure. I drilled 3 1/16" holes between the inside and outside glass. Right into the seal. I know I gave up the whole dual pane thing, But after a few days the moisture dryed up.

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with my 2001. I like the idea of taking out the inside pane..... at least until spring when I can either do it myself or have it done. I am pretty handy (used to be mechanic) but I am afraid of causing a leak.

Bill

01 adventurer 35U
tun75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

"dual pane window - lost seal"¯

We have the dual pane windows in our Itasca Sunrise. This spring I noticed moisture in three of the "awning style"¯ crank-out windows in the two bedroom windows and the one side isle hall-way window. Keeping fingers crossed about the other dual pane windows we actually look out of in the living area.

Since we do not look out of the effected windows I will probably leave them be. But if the other dual pane windows fog up with moisture then the pane will become a real pain.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Do you use a pressure washer on your Itasca???

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick and Sonia:
We have a 2002 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis. The window on the driver's side directly in front of the driver side door has evidently developed a leak as it has moisture inside. Has anyone replaced this window themselves. It appears to be screwed in. Where would we purchase one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing on my 2001 however I will be using my vehicle insurance to pay for the replacement. Where I live glass replacement in the front is covered 100% with no deductible. Check you insurance you may already be covered for this.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Nick, you can get one from your local dealer ,, they will order it for you. Lichtsinn Motors is another source...A car glass installer can install it for you. My local dealer ordered mine and replaced it too. Good luck
Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Do you use a pressure washer on your Itasca???

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Tom,
No we never have used a pressure washer on our Itasca just bucket of soapy water with long handle soft brush, and rinse with garden hose or using a bucket of rinse water with clean brush.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I had the one above the driver's door replaced in July on my 2003 Adventurer. It fogged up last year. The main reason for replacement was the window started leaking in both the front and rear lower corners.
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

This msg is for Ken.

We purchased our 2002 Winnebago at Media Camping center last month. At the time of purchase, the driver side top window had a leaking seal like yours. MCC fixed everything else for us at the time of purchase but we never pushed to fix the window since it wasnt in the line of site when driving. We figured we would fix it the following year.
Do you remember the approx cost and time to fix from MCC?
Want to plan ahead for $$$
The people at MCC have been great to deal with.
We live in Bucks County which is where MCC is located.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

The material they use between the glass dries out and allows air to get in between the glass. I really haven't had any fog in the windows so far, Knock on wood. To prevent the ones from leaking I used Black Silicon(RTV)from the Auto store and sealed the surface between the 2 glass edges. I could only fill the crank outs and the ends of the sliders... I also checked the seams where the window seal come together in the metal window frames on the outside.
Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!
But there not cheap to replace, just to build!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Me too. 2001 Itasca 35U. Small window above driver door and the side forward window on the passenger side. Amazing how many there are with this.

Tags
seal, window