Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Of all the stupid things I've seen on this forum, this takes the prize !
Must have been the regional manager of morons.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Last year while traveling East we were going over the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge in Louisiana, and heading West was a vehicle pulling a TT (coulld have been a truck pulling a fiver - but hey, it was last year) and the driver side slide was all the way out. He was going slow and traffic was stacked up way behind him. I commented to DW that he should pull over and let people pass. He was dead smack in the right hand lane of a two lanes going in his direction and the slide was encroached in the left lane. People were passing slowly and having to go onto the shoulder of their side of the road.

For those unaware, the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge is 18.2 miles long.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

When I reported my slide issues to the NHTSA like it says to do in my owners manual, I was told by the gentleman that the slides malfunctioning was a pretty serious issue because they have actually had reports of them coming open and killing bicyclists.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

102" wide is max for the vehicle and max width for mirrors from outboard side of one to outboard side of the other is 120" PERIOD.

I agree he was the regional manager of morons! I find it hard to believe that a person would tell somebody to dive 50 miles at 55 MPH for servicing. Even more amazing that somebody would even ask, let alone do it!!!

They live among us, breed, AND eventually vote. Pretty much explains our current national mess.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155

They live among us, breed, AND eventually vote. Pretty much explains our current national mess.

Wise words, common sense would never allow me to ask this question. It was asked by someone who clearly had no knowledge of how an RV works. She believed the answer. I find unless people have actually traveled in a motorhome they have no idea to the complexity of the vehicle. Even after riding they still won't.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

For those unaware, the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge is 18.2 miles long.
18.2 miles of THUMP THUMP...THUMP THUMP. Loads of fun when there's an accident on the bridge, and you're stuck for hours. There's a nice rest area with separate parking for RVers on the west end of the bridge, I make it a rest stop when I'm traveling to San Antonio to visit the daughter, son-in-law and grandson.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
Another great idea! Maybe put caution yellow and black stripe tape that says pass at your own risk.....EXTRA WIDE LOAD.
I have 3-m Reflective tape (Black/yellow as I recall) on my slides, near the top, just inside of the seal flange, Visible when extended.

But that is another story.

As I said, I think the problem in this thread is folks are thinking "SLIDES OUT ALL THE WAY" and the person who said it could be done did not say that.. He said "Only so far as the mirrors still work) and truthfully, that is not more than a couple of inches on most RV's. The gap that is often left after you crank 'em in manually.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

He didn't say as they don't "block" your mirrors... What was said was, as long as they don't extend PAST your mirrors.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

I have to change my opinion that I made in post 5. Friday at a rest stop we had a passenger slide out and when retracting it the rear did not retract all the way in but the front did. Well, I found a flashlight had fell into the gears mechanism of the rear of the slide. I was able to remove the flashlight but the slide will not completely retract. I called Winnebago and talked to the technician. I was in North Texas and said I was supposed to be at the Factory in Forest City on Tuesday. He said the slide would not work its' way out on the highway and to go ahead and drive it to Forest City. (over 1,000 miles). I hate it when things like this happen!!!!
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

How far out is it? Did the guy that told you to drive it to Iowa that way promise to appear in court, pay the fine and accept any financial responsibility should something happen?

Din't mean to be critical, just playing devil's advocate. Isn't there a repair facility nearby your route that can do a temp fix for safety sake? 😳
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

The front of the slide is/was out about 4 or 5 inches. I could still use the rear view mirror and doubt there was a safety or vision issue. I marked the slide position in the rear view mirror for fear it might work out a bit as I traveled. It did not. If I felt there was a vision problem or safety problem I would not have made the trip or would have stopped traveling if the slide moved out. As for the most of the questions court, financial responsibility - certainly not. As far as finding a local shop, keep in mind this was Friday afternoon in almost in the middle of nowhere on a secondary US highway. I doubt I could have found a shop that would have gotten the slide in without further damage. Be the devils advocate or as critical as you chose. I Appreciate your comments but it was my decision right or wrong and I'm safely parked in the Winnebago parking area in Forest City.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

THis could really reduce set up time between CG
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
THis could really reduce set up time between CG
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
Well we learned from a regional manager under oath that if your slides are malfunctioning you can safely drive the vehicle with them open as long as they aren't extended past the mirrors. Who knew this whole time I could have had that extra space while traveling.
who wants to loan this guy there RV for the weekend?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
who wants to loan this guy there RV for the weekend?
what is that supposed to mean?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #36

It's quite an experience if you ever have to do it - been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. We broke a gear on a slideout drive while preparing to depart for home on New Year's Eve - the main living room slide was out about 6", and with the gear broken, the slide couldn't be manually retracted. With the holiday, no mobile RV service was available, but we were fortunate enough to be able to contact our dealer who managed to contact another RV dealer about 30 miles up I-35, so we had to drive up to that other dealer where his service department stayed past their noon closing time to force the slideout in and wedge it closed to get us home.

Ah, the experiences of RVing....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote