Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Driver side mirror shaky

My drivers side mirror is shaky and my passenger side is very stable. Is this fixable, if so how?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Don't know if yours is the same as mine(2007 Meridian)but look at where the mirror mounts to the base there is a plastic cover that you remove and a Allen screw is behind it,just tighten it and that should do the trick Good luck
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

First you should address the question of "where is it loose?" Is it loose between the mirror head and the arm or between the arm and the coach body. If it's loose betweenthe head and the arm then Davey told you how to fix that.
In my personal experience I urge you not to delay finding the problem and fixing it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sometimes a shakey mirror is a symptom of tire balance.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It is loose from the mirror glass to the mirror housing. The housing to motorhome is snug.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
It is loose from the mirror glass to the mirror housing. The housing to motorhome is snug.
First I'll make a guess that your mirrors are the Velvac brand, since that's the brand most commomly used by Winnebago. If the glass is loose in the housing it can generally be repaired by either replacing or tightening the spring clips that hold the glass to the motor assembly.

To make the repairs the glass has to be removed from the housing. It's a pretty straight forward process, but I wouldn't attempt it without first contacting Velvac to make sure parts are available, then reading how to do it in the owners manual.

Here's a link to the technical support page on the Velvac website.

Untitled Document
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

If you have electric adjustable mirrors, the glass part is usually stuck on with back to back tape. See if you can pull it out and wiggle it,
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Be careful when you are adjusting the mirror - don't over tighten. You can download the Velvac instructions for the 2025 model that Winn uses. When you tighten the hex screw, you must not exceed 75-100 Inch-lbs torque. I can tell you that I did and it didn't help. The hex screw tightens on an aluminum cylinder on the mirrror so it is very easy to damage/compress the cylinder, hence the torque spec. Mine was replaced however it still shakes although much less than it did originally. Like you the passenger side mirror is rock solid.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the same shaky problem with my drivers mirror. In fact, it not only shakes, but emits a rather horrific screeching noise. My dealer replaced the entire head assembly with a new one and the replacement does the same thing. I think it is caused by the air coming off the front of the coach and hitting the mirror causing a vibration that then causes the noise because of the movement of the ball assembly that attaches the mirror to the housing. The passenger side sits out in front of the coach and gets "clean air". I wish someone would come up with a fix for this. It is the last thing on my warranty list and I don't know what to do next since two mirrors now have the same issue.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to this post, I have finally tightened and repaired my Velvac model 2025 mirror. I put up with a loose and vibrating mirror for a year and 1/2 until now, because I thought the mirror was broken.

The adjustment screw is very hard to see as it is between the motorhome wall and on the arm bracket. I used a 3/16" allen wrench to tighten and solve problem. It's a 10 second fix.

Thanks

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I contacted Velvac 2 or 3 times about my shaky mirror and they finally sent me a Dampening kit to install. It was nothing more than the metal clips that already are in the mirror, two to a mirror. So I added a third clip and the shaky mirror was ok after that.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The clips that stabilize the mirror with in its housing are usually the problem. I found by turning the glass all the way one direction I could reposition the clips to the point where they better contact with the mirror. The do the same on the other side of the mirror. There are usually two clips per mirror. It fixed my shaky mirror.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
I have the same shaky problem with my drivers mirror. In fact, it not only shakes, but emits a rather horrific screeching noise. My dealer replaced the entire head assembly with a new one and the replacement does the same thing. I think it is caused by the air coming off the front of the coach and hitting the mirror causing a vibration that then causes the noise because of the movement of the ball assembly that attaches the mirror to the housing. The passenger side sits out in front of the coach and gets "clean air". I wish someone would come up with a fix for this. It is the last thing on my warranty list and I don't know what to do next since two mirrors now have the same issue.
You could try making some vortex generators and place them on the coach where you think the wind is hitting the mirror. I'd try putting them on the coach just as the wind makes the corner heading toward your mirror.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Make them out of small aluminum, plastic, etc angle stock and some cheap double coated foam tape.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My drivers side mirror is shaky and my passenger side is very stable. Is this fixable, if so how?
This PDF may help
Dampening Clips (spring fingers) installation [1].pdf

This Link may also help: http://www.lichtsinn.com/PDFs/Velvac...Adjustment.pdf
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
I experienced a horrific screeching noise that I thought could have come from my mirror....but it was actually coming from the trim piece that is screwed in on the side of the front window. A screw had come loose and the trim panel was catching air. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
We have a 2007 Adventurer and the drivers mirror shakes, I remove the plastic cover and tighten the allen screw and we are good for another few thousand miles.
Herb
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver