Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driver Door Wind Noise

I have 2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J and have had driver door wind noise ever since I bought it. I have tried adjusting the side view mirror with no success.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have you adjusted the striker posts/plates to tighten the seal? I had door noise and after adjusting the two striker posts the noise stopped. Some Monaco coach owners experienced wind noise at the door so the factory designed and installed a right angle piece that ran the full length down the front of the door hinge that sticks out from the side about 3/8 of an inch. Mine appears to work as I don't have any wind noise at the door.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bobg43, I have a 2005 37B and had a similar wind noise from basically the same area during my last long trip. It would diminsh when "cracking" open the drivers window. Thought it was certainly the door seal but it turned out to be the gasket around the uppermost, large, fixed window above the door. Actually it became so loose the window could be pushed outward. Just re-ordered a gasket but in the meantime found the galss now had moisture inside. Awaiting a new one.

Not sure anyone has thought much about it, but I believe the pressure increase when closing the larger slides may cause window seals to weaken or dislocate somewhat. I usually open a vent (as per factory suggestions) but have forgotten more than once. It'd be interesting to know how much pressure increase there really is. Good luck with it...

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have wind noise at the door.. Odds are the door is not properly sealing... Can take a while to figure that out but the old dollar test works.. Close the door on a dollar bill and pull it out.. If it's hard to pull, open door, re-position dollar, try again.. Best places to try are corners.

Odds are one of 'em it will pull out easily.. And that means you need an adjustment.. Chiropratic kind,,, (Of course finding a motor-home-chiropractor can be a bit trickey) I know how to do it on cars. but never tried a MH
Old 11-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg43 View Post
I have 2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J and have had driver door wind noise ever since I bought it. I have tried adjusting the side view mirror with no success.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bob,

On our 2005 Suncruiser 38R I have had the same annoyance since new. I have sealed, with tape, every conceivable opening and seam at one time or another to no avail. Have tilted the mirror housing and glass this way and that - no real help. One day I drove the rig with the mirror head pulled in flat against the body - no wind noise!!!

Well, I can't drive it like that so I just have to live with it and hope for a following tail-wind, when it diminishes to next to nothing.

BTW, I talked to the mirror folks and they didn't really have any ideas for me.

Keep trying - your results may vary.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up Wind Noise

Thanks for your feedback.

"Mygrayhound": I will check the upper window the next time I am at the coach.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine was moving outward at the bottom, toward the front. Just a slight push on it and it really loosened up-could have popped it out easily. Duct tape worked for the remainder of my trip from out west. If your glass is in good condition, Litchsen Motors had the seal for about $34.00.

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My problem (with the driver's door) is an annoying squeak that goes away if I push on various parts of the door when driving. I've had it since the rig was new (in 2004). Can't really figure out a workable solution.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote