Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Drip.. drip.. drip...

The prior owner let this 2002 go: both end caps leaked at the corners and most of the window seals appeared dodgy. I got the corners pretty well-taken care of ...and I thought J-channel over the top halves of the windows would seal them ...but, as you can see the dirt stain on the window, the J-channel is an imperfect fix; they allow lots of water over the levee. (the lip is not tall enough to handle the volume we get)

Amazon had the Camco drip spouts for <$8 set. I guess I was paying more attention to the price than the fit; they clearly are not made for my drip rail. They were easily modified but look like a fudgy gargoyle. A new band of showers on on-the-way, so I will know soon. If they work, maybe I look for some small plastic skulls to dress'm up...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	170328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	170329  

Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you tried running a bead of Geoflex Pro around the window frame or between the channel and frame? It is what I used to seal between the gutter and top rail of the slide topper so water wouldn't get behind the rail.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Negative, younger-than-me... I have used a lot a caulk around boats. I wasn't confident I could lay a clean bead around all the windows. (..sure as hell not going to 'tape' them all!) My calculation was the 5/8s wide, VHB tape on the back of the J-channel would seal better than I any fine bead around the window I could put down.

However, it looks, either way, I get rain from above the windows running onto the windows. I hadn't considered a perfectly horizontal gutter could not contain the volume I was getting from that top corner. I am still stuck with the laws of gravity. I expect this gargoyle help...

I looked at Geoflex. There are lotsa urethanes. I remember Sikaflex from the boating community. I used some OSI 'Quad' on this after hearing about it here. It was available at Lowes or Home Depot ...I'm lazy. Cheers.

Jim
Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used 4" wide rubberized vinyl tape on the middle and bottom of my front windows while I was at it. The Journey's are well known for leaks around the front window and where you found your damage so you need to worry about that too. Sometimes the frames the windows live in get so rusty that it cracks the front windows. $600 each. Also used Eternabond tape along the front and rear end caps seams to prevent leaks there. And along both sides where the roof seals to the J channel.

Here's a link to my blog post page for links to the weatherproofing articles I've written about it. Oh, and the running lights leak too. Often.

Weather Proofing, & Windows... | Chaos Leaves Town

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jim, I've been to your link several times as I've worked through the process of making my 2002 Suncruiser 35U weather tight. I slacked off a bit when summer rolled around but I need to get back to it for the finishing touches. Thanks for your info.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Jim, I've been to your link several times as I've worked through the process of making my 2002 Suncruiser 35U weather tight. I slacked off a bit when summer rolled around but I need to get back to it for the finishing touches. Thanks for your info.

You are more than welcome, Bob. I try to find low cost solutions to high cost problems in these big machines and the leaking or ripped off fiberglass roof of a Winnie certainly qualifies in a number of ways.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jim_HiTek,

While in FL this last winter we had a rock chip to the front windshield driver's side. We had had to replace that windshield the year before due to a crack and were really frustrated with this.

While having the driver's side replaced the passenger side cracked. Company (Duncan Systems in Elkhart, IN) contacted our insurance and go the other windshield replaced. While having the windows of our 2004 Itasca out they found the rust issue. It wasn't to bad but it was there. They took us back and showed us the damage and explained the process as you explained it.

They then sanded and cleaned the area, rust inhibitor painted it and then reinstalled the windshields. It was a blessing having the second windshield crack or we would not have known about this. The guy there said this is a design issue with Winnebago MH's.

Now we just have to not get another chip. Saw an article where someone said to paint a chip area with clear nail polish. Ever heard of that?

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

He who has not read Jim's/HiTek's blog should... You do it well, thanks for the effort.

I'll do some search for UV-resistant RTV or the like. I can 'tape-for-painting' pretty good and get those glass-contact seals - sealed. Thanks for the thought of doing the top line with the vinyl channel.

Like many of you - I lost one of the front gargoyles on my first run. I have a spare set and switched up to self-adhesive Velcro. As mine is more a yard ornament than not, I will simply pull them before I bomb down the highway. I did have to cut/notch them to get a better a fit.

Remnants of Michael tonight - 3-4" will be a good test. Cheers.

Jim
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Jim_HiTek,

While in FL this last winter we had a rock chip to the front windshield driver's side. We had had to replace that windshield the year before due to a crack and were really frustrated with this.

While having the driver's side replaced the passenger side cracked. Company (Duncan Systems in Elkhart, IN) contacted our insurance and go the other windshield replaced. While having the windows of our 2004 Itasca out they found the rust issue. It wasn't to bad but it was there. They took us back and showed us the damage and explained the process as you explained it.

They then sanded and cleaned the area, rust inhibitor painted it and then reinstalled the windshields. It was a blessing having the second windshield crack or we would not have known about this. The guy there said this is a design issue with Winnebago MH's.

Now we just have to not get another chip. Saw an article where someone said to paint a chip area with clear nail polish. Ever heard of that?

Lynne

Great that your insurance covered that work. Usually, the adjuster knows about this Winnie issue and won't cover cracked windshields. Especially when it's caused by removal for no other reason then to check for rust. I've heard of them denying front windshield claims several times over the years. I think it might be how you approach them with the 'cracked windshield' claim. And how many claims you've made with them over the years.

I haven't heard about using clear nail polish for window repair for several decades now. I don't think it works all that well. As an alternative, you can buy DIY glass repair kits now days at any Auto Parts store that have a small vacuum syringe tool that helps get the glue deep into the glass, plus the glue is formulated for auto glass.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Like many of you - I lost one of the front gargoyles on my first run. I have a spare set and switched up to self-adhesive Velcro. As mine is more a yard ornament than not, I will simply pull them before I bomb down the highway. I did have to cut/notch them to get a better a fit.

Jim
I also bought these gutter extensions. But they are not for the type of gutter I have on my 2000 Itasca Sunrise 33V. How did you get them to fit? Did you unscrew the gutter to slip them under? How did you notch them?