Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My wife decided it was time to defrost the freezer so we followed the instructions in the reefer manual. When I went to put the freezer drain hose in a bucket as directed I first had to remove a small black plug from the end of the hose. Is that plug supposed to remain in that hose after the defrosting is complete? If so, why? The drain cup did already have a small amount of water in it, but it obviously came from another source since that hose was plugged. The manual was very vague and didn't mention the need to remove a drain plug from the hose. Any help from you experts is appreciated.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My wife decided it was time to defrost the freezer so we followed the instructions in the reefer manual. When I went to put the freezer drain hose in a bucket as directed I first had to remove a small black plug from the end of the hose. Is that plug supposed to remain in that hose after the defrosting is complete? If so, why? The drain cup did already have a small amount of water in it, but it obviously came from another source since that hose was plugged. The manual was very vague and didn't mention the need to remove a drain plug from the hose. Any help from you experts is appreciated.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You should find that the little black plug has some small holes in it. The intent is to allow the water to drip out while keeping bugs, etc. from getting in.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The plug should remain in the hose. I found that on mine the catch pan inside the refrig didn't have the hole punched out to allow the water to drain. Found this out when the water tray overflowed.
Had to remove the tray to remove the plastic part that was covering the hole. Norcold apparently had a faulty mold for the tray on mine.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, those replies make sense.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep, the little "plug" has tiny holes in it to allow the water through. HOWEVER, several months ago I found the tray in the back our our Norcold full of ice. After I thawed it, I found it would not drain. I checked outside and found the little catch pan totally dry, and the "plug" was plugged up with crud. I'll be checking mine periodically now to ensure it doesn't plug up again.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
KCE
Winnebago Owner

I always take the outside cover off and reach in and take the hose out of the cup and as I put the cover back on I pull the hose thru the cover and let It hang outside just far enough so the water doesn't run down the side of the RV and just leave it that way. Never had a problem with doing that and I can easly check that it is draining ok. My last 2000 Brave stayed that way 4yrs and this one a 2005 Sightseer has been that way since I purchased it new. I did that because my Brave over filled the cup an ran out on the floor and buckled the plywood. It's posible I could be cutting the effiency a little but if has is I haven't noticed it.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brave over filled the cup an ran out on the floor and buckled the plywood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If the cup overflows on mine, it runs onto a metal ledge that has a drain toward the rear, and the water runs through a tube and exits under the motorhome.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Neat Idea! I'll check that out.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hm.. I Didn't even know about the drainage tube so thanks for the information. I checked it out and yes it was plugged tight. Pulled out the plug and opened it up.

We don't live aboard so have not paid much attention to defrosting. But we are planning some long trips so will eventually probably face a defrosting. Went back and read the Norcold owners manual and sure enough drainage is mentioned under "Defrosting." Norcold's defrosting process suggests using inserting the drain hose into a half gallon jug. I don't think that idea is practical on our Journey as the space looks to small. I think I'll just let it drain overboard in a way that will clear the side walls.

Small thing, but helpful so thanks again for the information. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I leave my hose hanging outside the cover all the time. I defrost my refrigerator a lot due to my quick weekend trips.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just found my drain hose on my Norcold (only had the rig a few weeks). Called Norcold customer service and they said it was fine to let the drain hose extend out the side of the RV through one of the vent holes. I will need to extend the hose a bit, but easy peasy. I don't like the idea of letting water drain inside the coach and worrying about that cup getting mucked up.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote