Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We own a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer and have had issues with our door latch since the beginning. It seems we have to slam it so hard to close it and make it latch! My husband has adjusted and adjusted the screw/latch, etc....to no avail. Any advice? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We own a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer and have had issues with our door latch since the beginning. It seems we have to slam it so hard to close it and make it latch! My husband has adjusted and adjusted the screw/latch, etc....to no avail. Any advice? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Try sqirting some silicone inside the door latch mechanism.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Oooops, it's squirting, not sqirting. The door adjustments are done in pretty small increments, so maybe he's overshooting the correct adjustment point. I know I've gotten frustrated at times trying to adjust door latches.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had that problem a while back and I called Winnebago and they told me how to adjust the striker bolt and it has been perfect ever since. Do you have any signs of wear on the striker bolt?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SewBzzzy:
We own a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer and have had issues with our door latch since the beginning. It seems we have to slam it so hard to close it and make it latch! My husband has adjusted and adjusted the screw/latch, etc....to no avail. Any advice? Thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2005 has the same problem... it's been adjusted numerous times but it doesn't stay 'adjusted' for long before I'm slamming the door again to get it to close. And if the MH is on any incline, like my driveway, forgetaboutit! And you learn pretty quick to throw the deadbolt before driving down that freeway, or, SURPRISE!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had the same issue, adjusted strike bolt and then wrapped the bolt with three turns of black or electrical tape, problem solved.

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I also had the same problem on 05 coach. Adjustment did not help. It would rattle as well. I then wrapped with two turns of duct tape. That was over two years ago and I have not touched it since. I wish every fix was that easy. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Some motorhome doors (including the one in our 2004 Brave) are vulnerable to flexing problems. In our case, the door often sticks when the rig is parked on a very uneven site. The folks at the dealer indicated that RV bodies actually flex slightly under various conditions. When this happens, it can impact the fit of your door.

If the duct tape trick doesn't work, try installing star washers before you adjust the latches again. I used this approach two years ago and have eliminated the problem in most cases. In our situation, the adjustments simply weren't holding over time. However, the star washers cured that problem.

Occasionally, when the rig is really uneven, the door will still stick. If the duct tape doesn't work, try a few profanities and a little silicone. Works for me. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think that slamming the entry way door leads to a lot of the dual pane door windows to separate slightly, but enough that they fog up under the right conditions. I slam the door on occasions but try to watch the tricky door adjustment because of the suspicion stated above.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote