Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Door and Compartment Lock Issue

I have just joined the iRV2 Forum and posted some information in the new member area about myself and a problem I am having. One of the responders encouraged me to post in the particular forum area, since most of you do not "hang out" in the new kid area. Sorry about that --- see, I told you that I am a new guy.

I have a 2005 Vectra 40AD and about a week ago, the locking mechanism for the front door and the compartment door locks started cycling. Every time you opened the front door or unlocked any of the compartments, they immediately relocked themselves. I was almost comical (I said "almost") as I unlocked the compartment on the panel inside the front door and moved as fast as I could to the first compartment, only to have it lock before I could get there. It repeated the locking operation over and over again, for hours. Then, it stopped for a couple of days and then started all over again. I called the factory in Forest City and spoke with a service representative and I have called a couple of repair facilities and spoken with service reps. They told me that the company which produced this locking system is out of business, but that I can get a replacement system. No cost was discussed. Now that I know where the panel where the module is located, but the activity stopped about two days ago, so I am tempted to leave well enough alone for now. I have an appointment for late next week, to just have them disconnect the module, but now that I know where the module is located, I can probably do that myself.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing whether anyone else has had a similar problem and how they resolved this issue.
niners843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Water/moisture problem most likely. Take a look at the main switches and see if you can tell if water got in. Does it happen after it rains/on a moist morning?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If those locks have keys,, You can always pull the fuse that feeds the lock control module and use keys as an emergency measure.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Did you get the drawings I sent you?
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Speaking of locking issues, ours is the manual locks, i.e., need keys to lock them. Does anyone know if it is possible to changeout the locks to the electric locking ones? I know the handles are different sizes, etc. Just asking.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

niners843,
there are a few threads here about power lock issues & solutions. A search should find you more info.
The water/moisture cause seams plausible.
Hope you find a solution.

doorguy,
upgrading to power locks requires lots of wiring, as well as the locks & controller.
I dont believe there is any 'easy' after market kit available.
If you find one, let everybody know!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

niners843;

I also think it could be moisture. I assume you have a key pad. Remove the key pad and disconnect the plug behind the key pad. If that stops the problem you could clean the contacts on the plug and apply dielectric grease on the contacts reconnect and see what happens. I had a key pad that did not work at all and after cleaning and applying the grease it has worked perfect for the past 2 years.

Good Luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Where was your DW while all this was going on? Over in the corner ?
Is there a wireless remote for these locks? Could be a neighbor's garage door opener or something operating on the same frequency?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

No remote and no neighbors. Good try though!
niners843 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door