Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dometic Weatherpro Awning not working

The entry door awning on my 2005 Itasca Horizon has suddenly stopped working in the retracted position. With either the remote or the switch all I get is a click coming from the motor when the switch is turned on. When I turn the switch on, I get only .5 volt coming to the motor! When checking this. I was using a sharp probe trying to penetrate the insulation of the wires. When I took apart the casing of the awning, I really don't understand what exactly is the motor or how it is constructed. I believe that the entry door motor functions differently than other awning motors with the motor outside the casing of the roll up tube. I have looked all over this coach looking for the control box. If I there is anyone that has a similar coach or has had a similar problem that knows where that control box is or how to further troubleshoot this problem, I would appreciate some help. I called Dometic but all they did was to refer me to a dealer. The dealer doesn't want to help me.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

All I know about that awning is there was a lot of problems with it in the year you have.
We have a manual crank. Dometic should have been able to help you on this instead of blowing you off.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The connection between the motor and the roller mechanism broke on my door awning .... I had to buy a new motor and connection because the design of the motor and connection changed.

I watched the tech remove the awning ... it is not easy ... you have to cut the wire, remove a couple of screws. and then slide the whole mechanism forward ... it took two techs on two ladders to remove it ...

I am not aware of a control box for the door awning.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Talking Dometic Awning malfunction

The schematic on their website indicates a control box somewhere. Dometic told me that if it is a motor issue that I would have to replace the awning for $1400!
[email protected]
Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
The schematic on their website indicates a control box somewhere. Dometic told me that if it is a motor issue that I would have to replace the awning for $1400!
I replaced my awning a year ago and the RV store kept after me to upgrade to the powered unit, but since I'd already read plenty of reviews with the same type of failures as you, I held firm and said no way.

Hope you find a less expensive alternative to repair it. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Motor fail

I had this problem as well. The motor failed and Dometic was of no help. Sliding the awning off is a problem but can be done with some additional ladders and help. Never did find a replacement motor but finally took the old motor to a motor shop in Florida who rebuilt it. Had to beg them to do it but it worked.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Dometic Awning not working

Would you be willing to share with me the contact information of the motor shop that you talked into rebuilding your awning motor? I am sure that my motor is shot as I rechecked the voltage at the motor and am now getting 13 volts with the switch on.
Thanks
[email protected]
Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

No control box.

Search on the Web for 'RV door awning dead save up to....' You should get a hit on the site called 'doityourselfrv. See what you think.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ours is a 2003 and the motor went bad soon after purchasing our Horizon. The dealer couldn't fix it but split the cost and did the installation for a new one. I think we paid $500 total for the replacement. There is a control box in the passenger side front compartment, on the right when you open the door, but that may be only for the large awning, I just don't know.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
The entry door awning on my 2005 Itasca Horizon has suddenly stopped working in the retracted position. With either the remote or the switch all I get is a click coming from the motor when the switch is turned on. When I turn the switch on, I get only .5 volt coming to the motor! When checking this. I was using a sharp probe trying to penetrate the insulation of the wires. When I took apart the casing of the awning, I really don't understand what exactly is the motor or how it is constructed. I believe that the entry door motor functions differently than other awning motors with the motor outside the casing of the roll up tube. I have looked all over this coach looking for the control box. If I there is anyone that has a similar coach or has had a similar problem that knows where that control box is or how to further troubleshoot this problem, I would appreciate some help. I called Dometic but all they did was to refer me to a dealer. The dealer doesn't want to help me.
The awning control box in the 36RD is a black box on the rear/side wall of the outside compartment just in front of the right rear wheels.

You should also take a look at this new thread: Dometic Door Awning Parts Resource

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update on my awning

I sprayed the motor with liquid graphite and lo and behold the awning moved? It only moves 6" to a foot at a time but at least I can get the awning extended so it can be removed from the coach. I still need to get the motor overhauled but this is a giant step forward! So try the liquid graphite!!
[email protected]

Tags
awning, dometic