Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Winnie with 8.1 Vortec engine with 12000 miles on the rig. At about 62-65 mph a fairly loud Allisson tranny whine can be heard through the doghouse over the engine and tranny. In summer, I have also notes a noticeable amount of heat radiating off the carpet covering the doghouse.
When I opened the doghouse today, I found little to none sound insulation material...just a thin layer on metal reflective sheeting.

Question: Has any one installed any added sound-heat barrier material along the under/interior of the doghouse to reduce radiated noise and heat?

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Winnie with 8.1 Vortec engine with 12000 miles on the rig. At about 62-65 mph a fairly loud Allisson tranny whine can be heard through the doghouse over the engine and tranny. In summer, I have also notes a noticeable amount of heat radiating off the carpet covering the doghouse.
When I opened the doghouse today, I found little to none sound insulation material...just a thin layer on metal reflective sheeting.

Question: Has any one installed any added sound-heat barrier material along the under/interior of the doghouse to reduce radiated noise and heat?

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Pubtym,
I used this kit Insulation kit
It did a nice job of reducing the noise and heat.

Brgman
brgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we had the gasser (Adventurer w/454 Chevy) I used a similar doghouse insulation kit (got mine from Camping World). The difference in both sound and heat transfer was astounding. Well worth the effort.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pubtym, are you sure it is the Ally thats whining.? I assume your in OD at that speed. My 2004 WH was delivered to me with a noisy rear axle, and it was the worst at that exact speed.. There is alot of activity in the tranny in OD so its sure possible that its the tranny, but it could be the rear axle too. If you shift back a gear or even two, holding the same road speed, does the frequency of the whine change?.. ..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

At 55 - 60 mph in OD it's quiet. But at 62-65 mph in OD, the noise seems to originate right under rear of dog house.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Kit from Camping World made a big difference for me.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

As others have said, insulate. You will be suprised at the difference.

Might want to do a search on the subject...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 55 - 60 mph in OD it's quiet. But at 62-65 mph in OD, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about those same speeds in a different gear?.. I dont know if you have a 5 or 6 speed, but if the noise stays about the same ( at the same speed )in a different gear, I helps point to the diff. If the noise doesn't appear in a different gear, probably is in the trans..The noise I had in the differential was so loud at those exact speeds, a travelin' buddie said it drownd(ed) out my voice over the cb.. WH replaced the entire center section(3rd member).. A diff noise will only get worse, never better...rgr...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #10

Winnebago doesn't insulated their doghouses, and putting a GOOD sound and heat insulator on them is a MUST.

I used the Dynamat Hood Liner insulation. Self adhesive, just cut and press on you doghouse cover. I covered all edges with aluminum tape. This is quality aluminum backed 3/4" hoodliner and is much better than the stuff Camping World sells...

This is VERY quality insulation for sound and heat, and now the heat bleedthru factor is totally gone, and us up front passengers can actually HEAR each other talk.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

FrontRanger Is one sheet of the material sufficent to cover the entire area.
Did you cut in strips to install?
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #12

Yes, one sheet is plenty.

I removed the doghouse cover, brought it inside to work on, and cut the sheets to fit it, removed the self adhesive, pressed it on the cover, then taped all the edges with aluminum foil.

Every square inch of my doghouse is covered now, and we are really pleased with this product.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Last year for a winter project I undercoated the area above the front wheels and installed 3/8" FiberMat/Foil Heat/Sound Insulation under the Doghouse Cover and inside the open area above the engine/under the dash. Never did feel like it was to loud in the Adventurer but was something to do. Did a great job in making for a quieter ride. Well I guess I'm running out of projects because the improvement prompted me to carry the idea on a little further.

I have now:

Installed 3/16" neoprene inside the hood/under the dash and then undercoated the whole area. Neoprene is held in place with spray adhesive and several screws before the undercoating was sprayed on (several coats).

Installed 3/8" Hardboard Insulation over the 3/8" FiberMat/Foil Heat/Sound Insulation I installed last year inside the open area above the engine/under the dash and then spray coated with Silver High Heat Ceramic paint. Hardboard Insulation is held in place with spray adhesive aluminum foil tape and several screws before the Silver High Heat Ceramic paint was sprayed on (several coats).

Installed " FiberMat/Foil Heat/Sound Insulation over the 3/8" Insulation I installed last year under the Doghouse cover. "Pins" were epoxied to the Doghouse Cover before Adhesive was applied and the insulation installed. Then strips of aluminum was placed over the pins and "plastic washers" pushed onto the pins to hold everything in place. Aluminum Foil Tape applied around the edges and then everything sprayed with Silver High Heat Ceramic paint.

I am very happy with the results. Everything has stayed in place. This Adventurer is "QUIET".

Pics below. Look in Web's Stuff folder
Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Pubtym, your getting alot of advice about how to keep from hearing this "whine". If indeed it is abnormally loud, you would do yourself a favor by determining if it is "normal" or not before you "block" it from your hearing.Tho years ago, I have a background in the auto service business, and I am really tuned to strange sounds, and my 2004 Allison sure doesn't do what you describe...rgr...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Winnebago doesn't insulated their doghouses, and putting a GOOD sound and heat insulator on them is a MUST.

I used the Dynamat Hood Liner insulation. Self adhesive, just cut and press on you doghouse cover. I covered all edges with aluminum tape. This is quality aluminum backed 3/4" hoodliner and is much better than the stuff Camping World sells...

This is VERY quality insulation for sound and heat, and now the heat bleedthru factor is totally gone, and us up front passengers can actually HEAR each other talk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangerRVer:
I ordered the Dynamat Hood Liner yesterday and it should be here the 1st if next week..
1: Where did u get the aluminum tape??
2: Did u just set the cover onto the liner and trace??
Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

This is VERY quality insulation for sound and heat, and now the heat bleedthru factor is totally gone, and us up front passengers can actually HEAR each other talk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed the kit today. Very easy. Used aluminum tape to edge all seams.
Tomorrow I'll put the cowling back on and go for a drive. One kit/sheet was enough...and I have about 2 sq feet left over.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:

FrontRangerRVer:
I ordered the Dynamat Hood Liner yesterday and it should be here the 1st if next week..
1: Where did u get the aluminum tape??
2: Did u just set the cover onto the liner and trace?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get large roll of aluminum tape at hardware store. It is usually in the section where they have metal duct parts.

I took the piece approach and worked with measured cut pieces anywhere from 12 " wide to two inches wide. Cover the seams with alluminum tape. I also ordered the small roller with my kit. The roller really helped lay it down tight.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Pubtym, your getting alot of advice about how to keep from hearing this "whine". If indeed it is abnormally loud, you would do yourself a favor by determining if it is "normal" or not before you "block" it from your hearing.Tho years ago, I have a background in the auto service business, and I am really tuned to strange sounds, and my 2004 Allison sure doesn't do what you describe...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who would do the sound eval...a Workhorse center?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Get large roll of aluminum tape at hardware store. It is usually in the section where they have metal duct parts.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...ACE Hardware.....
Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who would do the sound eval...a Workhorse center? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, ultimatly, but you can do a rough evaluation..on a level stretch of road, run the coach at the "noise" speed, in 6th, then 5th, and then 4th, each downshift done manualy, and always maintaing the same load and speed. If its the tranny, the noise should change significantly, even going away in 4th..Try as closely as you can to maintain the same "load" on the drivetrain.. 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, causing extra action inside the trans.. 4th is direct, and far fewer gears are turning.. If the noise persists at the same speed thru all of the gear changes, its likely the differential..rgr...