Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Does your amber door step light stay on?

Gang,
Just wondering. Our step light, the one under the steps for the front door, the amber one, stays on anytime that door is in the open position. It NEVER GOES OFF as long as that door is open. But, if I close the door, it goes out. I'm pretty sure that is all normal.

But, a buddy has a newly acquired '06 Meridian 36G with the 350 CAT and, his apparently has a timer on it. He states his light goes out after 5 minutes, even if the door is in the open position. Just wondering, is his normal, have they (Kwikee) re-engineered the light system, how do all of yours work, stay on, timed, what????? Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Mine goes out as soon as the door closes. I would like to control it with the outside light switch.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine has a switch on the cabinet near the bottom of the door. Switch on, light is on. Switch off, light is off.

GL Arnold
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
Just wondering. Our step light, the one under the steps for the front door, the amber one, stays on anytime that door is in the open position. It NEVER GOES OFF as long as that door is open. But, if I close the door, it goes out. I'm pretty sure that is all normal.

But, a buddy has a newly acquired '06 Meridian 36G with the 350 CAT and, his apparently has a timer on it. He states his light goes out after 5 minutes, even if the door is in the open position. Just wondering, is his normal, have they (Kwikee) re-engineered the light system, how do all of yours work, stay on, timed, what????? Thanks
Scott
My under step light will stay on indefinitely, or go off, depending on the position of the "step" switch above the door.
A step light that goes off via a timer makes no sense to me, (I sometimes want to leave that light on).
Mel
'96 Safari
Kwikee automatic, (two step)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If I turn on my stay-out-all-the-time switch, the amber light goes off when the step is out.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gang,
I certainly appreciate the come-back here. But, let me re-frase this.

If you have an AUTOMATIC system that, turns the light ON, when the door is opened, and, you DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR OR, TURN OFF ANY SWITCHES, does your light STAY ON INDEFINITELY WITH THE DOOR IN THE OPEN POSITION? Or, does it turn itself OFF (with the door STILL in the OPEN position) after a set amount of time, and you were no where near the coach?
Scott
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The light under my step comes on whenever the steps are in the open position with the step switch turned on. Turning off the step switch causes the orange step light to go out. Separately from that, my assist handle, the passenger spot/reading light, and the footlight just inside the door turn on when the door is unlocked via the touchpad or remote and then all three of them turn off on a timer shortly thereafter.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ok Gang,
I have sort of, clarify myself here. I apologize for any misguided questions/inquiry here. I never mess with my door steps operation. There is the normal, red, door switch for the step on the vertical console of switches in our coach.

That switch, in the "ON" position, allows for step to come out, with ignition off, and STAY OUT, no matter how many times the door is opened or closed. The step stays out. And, along with that, the step light is in the "ON" position, as long as that step is out, FOREVER!

Now, turn that RED switch to the "OFF" position, and, as many of you know, that step, will extend and retract, each and every time the door is opened and closed. That's all normal. But, here's where the light operation DOES change. That light, will go ON, when the door is opened and, the steps extend. BUT, the light DOES have a 5 minute timer, and goes OFF, even with the door open.

If, while the Step switch is in the "OFF" position, you open and close the door, the light will come on and go off for each opening and closing of the door. But, as stated, if left open, the light will remain lit, for only five minutes.

So, I've now answered my own question. But, also as stated, we NEVER change the position of that step switch, it remains in the "ON" position as long as we own the coach. So that means, as long as the door is open, that light will stay on.
Scott

On edit: Putting it in another words, with the switch in the "ON" position, the step remains out and all the door does is, turn the light on and off. Door open, light on, door closed, light off.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My brain hurts..
My '06 is on anytime the step is out and the door is open, which is why it's now an LED.

Don't know anything about a timer because anytime I'm paying attention to it, we're out camping and the step is locked in extend mode

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Up, I knew what you meant the first time you posted. I will go check mine and set the kitchen timer for 6 minutes. BRB!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That's a negatroid. Stayed lit.

I want my 6+ minutes back.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
That's a negatroid. Stayed lit.

I want my 6+ minutes back.
Dunner,
I certainly don't mean to beat a dead horse here. All I'm trying to do is establish that there are two different modes for that light. One has a timer, and one is permanently on. And, the "mode" changer for it is, the switch position.

So, you're saying that in the "Off" postion, the one where the step goes in and out, each and every time you open and close the door, that light stays on indefinitely if you leave the door open? I'm just trying to learn all about my coach and, all of it's operations. That way, I can tell if somethings not working correctly by knowing how it's supposed to work in the first place. Thanks again to all for helping me on this.
Scott
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi Scott, Mine is also an 06 Itasca Meridian. I don't know the answer to your question but I will take a look tomorrow and let you know.
Steve
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Mine worked for a while. Dont know the positions the switched were in.
I guess the bulb blew.
It did not serve a useful purpose, so....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Don't know if the switch is on or off, but when it is in the position that in/outs the steps, every time you open/close the door, then yes, the light on mine stays on until the battery is dead or the neighbors gets confused and knock on your door.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Scott:
Now that I think about this you're probably right. When I unlock the door via Keyfob, the patio light comes on, and I THINK the step light does as well, then goes out ~15-30 sec?

I'm in Texas all week but can look this coming weekend when home

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Scott:
Now that I think about this you're probably right. When I unlock the door via Keyfob, the patio light comes on, and I THINK the step light does as well, then goes out ~15-30 sec?

I'm in Texas all week but can look this coming weekend when home
Steve,
I surely appreciate your response here. But, it has nothing to do with the key fob and, locking or unlocking the door. It's just the "Step" switch position that dictates;
1. If the steps retract and extend, each and every time the door is opened or closed
2. In that mode, the light only stays on for five minutes if the door is left open for over the five minute period.
3. In the mode that the steps stay out, no matter if the door is closed or not, the light stays on. This is not hard to figure out. Two modes, two different light settings.
Scott
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Bad enough that I can't sleep, now I am gonna wonder about that damn light that really means squat in the grand scheme of all things motor-home. Thanks brother from another FD.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Here's all the possible combinations on my National Sea Breeze in my signature. If you have a key FOB - it may be different - deal with it.

1)Door closed - door switch in any position - Amber under step light off.

2)Door open switch set to auto-extend/retract when door opened/closed - Amber light on with door open. Amber light off with door closed. No time out in over 10 minutes. I could build a 555 timer circuit to do that, but I see no reason for it.

3)Door open with switch set to Stay Open all the time - Amber light off.

4)Close door - set swith to Stay Open all the time, the step will stay closed, even if the door is opened and the Amber light will stay off. Good for emission inspectors and border agents who want to enter your MH. "Officer - it's brokted." "Climb on in, and bring that mutt."

Fire, I could type slower or use bigger fonts, if you'd like
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I appreciate all the responses.
Scott

Tags
door