Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Well, if you don't like the way it operates (no matter which way it does )

change it - put a switch, or timer, or .... in line and you can control it how you want...

a switch to turn the light off no matter what the auto system says...
a timer to allow it to turn off when it's timed out....
or both to allow any of the combinations...

oh, and one other thing - a photo cell so it stays off during the day...

then you certainly have it covered
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
I certainly appreciate the come-back here. But, let me re-frase this.

If you have an AUTOMATIC system that, turns the light ON, when the door is opened, and, you DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR OR, TURN OFF ANY SWITCHES, does your light STAY ON INDEFINITELY WITH THE DOOR IN THE OPEN POSITION? Or, does it turn itself OFF (with the door STILL in the OPEN position) after a set amount of time, and you were no where near the coach?
Scott
Scott
Calm down!
I'm quite sure my step is the same as yours....it has NO TIMER for the light!

Anyone
Please....
If you have a Kwikee step, (or any other brand), with a light that turns off via a TIMER, let Scott, (aka Fireup), know.
(That, if I understand correctly, is all he wants to know).
Mel
'96 Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I thought about changing it to a Bright White LED or two and maybe leave my porch light off at night if the moon is out or there is enough ambient or other light. The amber one is a poor excuse for a step light. In fact, since it's going to be 85°s today, I might just do that today.

My problem is leaving the porch light on all night. It's LED, but maybe a timer on it. Yeah, I know I could buy one of those Starlite thingies RV Smart Light SL 1000 12-Volt Motion Light White, but what fun is that? So many options.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

Steve,
I surely appreciate your response here. But, it has nothing to do with the key fob and, locking or unlocking the door. It's just the "Step" switch position that dictates;
1. If the steps retract and extend, each and every time the door is opened or closed
2. In that mode, the light only stays on for five minutes if the door is left open for over the five minute period.
3. In the mode that the steps stay out, no matter if the door is closed or not, the light stays on. This is not hard to figure out. Two modes, two different light settings.
Scott
The point is that the light is controlled by other external sources having timers on them as well

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #25

20 plus replies!
As far I can tell, no one has answered the simple question in the OP:
"Do ANY Kwikee electric steps have a light that is controlled by a TIMER"?

Mine has no light timer, but my coach is older than Fire Up's '04.
How about some of the newer coaches?

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

The OP wants to know if it is working right... so if it stops working right, he will know how it is supposed to work right.

I added a 3 LED mini-light on the left side bottom of my steps. So simple. Ground and slid the wire into the quick connector that was already there. Looks cool and I can actually see the steps.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The OP wants to know if it is working right... so if it stops working right, he will know how it is supposed to work right.

I added a 3 LED mini-light on the left side bottom of my steps. So simple. Ground and slid the wire into the quick connector that was already there. Looks cool and I can actually see the steps.
Does it go off with a timer?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

No, mine stayed on for 10+ minutes. If I ever ran out of things to do, I could build a simple 555 timer circuit.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

04 three step, no timer.

mike
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth, the bulb in my Kwikie(sp) is a 194 type and draws at tested ~250 ma(.25A). In contrast, the 3 LEDs I put under there only draw ~50 ma(.050A). The 194 is about 1/5th of a 1156 incandescent bulb. I think if I, for some reason, wanted to leave the switch in the in/out position, I would want it on a timer.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

My amber step light (under the steps) comes on when I turn on the rocker switch for the handrail light, patio light (on the side of Coach by the top of the door) also comes on with the same switch.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Pictures, Dunner, PICTURES!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I took a sawed (machined) off 9 LED light/reflector, and put a 10 ohm resistor in series with three bright white LEDs and emblem taped it under the step. You want night time pics?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Sure would like to see some night time pictures, be sure to let thing get good and wound up first Dunner!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My amber step light (under the steps) comes on when I turn on the rocker switch for the handrail light, patio light (on the side of Coach by the top of the door) also comes on with the same switch.
I am almost sure amber entry step light comes on when I turn on the patio light. At night, when the patio light is on, the step light is on. The only time I know this is at night with the steps extended and the step switch shut off, so the steps are permanently extended.

I finally realized why the steps continued to retract and extend with the door opening and closing and the rocker switch off.....it is because the keys were in the ignition, which overrides the shutoff switch.

Another tidbit: I realized that if the entry door is left open, and the switch is shut off with the steps extended, they will not retract with the key in the ignition nor while starting the motorhome. I found this out with the ex-pens deployed around and behind the steps and I had to start the engine to level the coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Camera's here waiting till the Sun don't shine.

Somebody define switch off and switch on. What is it when the switch is in the position where the steps go in/out with the opening/closing of the door. It could be "on" so the steps are automatic and off so the steps don't do anything. This ought to be good!

Kent, I'm going to check my switch settings. All of them.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I took a sawed (machined) off 9 LED light/reflector, and put a 10 ohm resistor in series with three bright white LEDs and emblem taped it under the step. You want night time pics?
If you can take it, but a pic of the LED's in place is what I was thinking.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

I am going to go with "automatic or manual" for the switch positions......
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Camera's here waiting till the Sun don't shine.

Somebody define switch off and switch on. What is it when the switch is in the position where the steps go in/out with the opening/closing of the door. It could be "on" so the steps are automatic and off so the steps don't do anything. This ought to be good!

Kent, I'm going to check my switch settings. All of them.
My definition:

Rocker switch off: down position, light (switch light) is off; steps don't retract and extend with door open and close (only when key is removed from ignition)

Rocker switch on: up position, light (switch light) is on, steps retract and extend with door open and close
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Just to further confuse things, and this has nothing to do with the light, My 97 Endeavor Kwikee steps (WITH THE IGNITION OFF) work as follows:

Switch in OFF position - steps do not extend or retract with door opening/closing.
Switch in ON position - steps extend or retract with door opening/closing.
If the door is open, and the switch is OFF, turning the switch ON extends the step.
Once extended, if you then turn the switch OFF, the steps will remain extended regardless of door position.
If you are leaving, and want the switch OFF (circuit and red light OFF), you close the screen door (steps retract), push the handle access panel open, reach thru the hole, and turn the switch off, then close the outer door.

All of the above allows storing the vehicle with the steps retracted and no battery drain (switch is OFF and little red switch light is OFF).

Oh ... and I disabled the Kwikee light (bulb is removed). If I want a light, I turn the porch light on. If out and returning after dark, we carry keychain flashlights.

Tags
door