Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are the second owners of a 2005 Winnebago Minnie Class C. We've had two motorhomes previously but this is our first Winnebago.

I've read a lot on this forum about the Eternabond/caulk/roof separation issues but I still have a question.

As I understand it, at least part of the reason for maintaining a good caulk seam at the roof/sidewall junction is to prevent the roof from flying off (which I realize is a rather rare occurrence, but nonetheless possible).

Here's my question: assuming the seam is properly caulked when the Eternabond is applied over it, what is to prevent the caulk from degrading at some future date? If this were to happen, the degradation would not be visible due to its being covered by the Eternabond. If this should happen, is the Eternabond itself strong enough to prevent the roof from separating?

Thank you for any help/advice.

'05 Minnie 29B
gypsynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are the second owners of a 2005 Winnebago Minnie Class C. We've had two motorhomes previously but this is our first Winnebago.

I've read a lot on this forum about the Eternabond/caulk/roof separation issues but I still have a question.

As I understand it, at least part of the reason for maintaining a good caulk seam at the roof/sidewall junction is to prevent the roof from flying off (which I realize is a rather rare occurrence, but nonetheless possible).

Here's my question: assuming the seam is properly caulked when the Eternabond is applied over it, what is to prevent the caulk from degrading at some future date? If this were to happen, the degradation would not be visible due to its being covered by the Eternabond. If this should happen, is the Eternabond itself strong enough to prevent the roof from separating?

Thank you for any help/advice.

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Having applied Eternabond this is my view be it right or wrong. The caulk is a non issues once covered with the Eternabond, in fact I see no reason to repair degraded caulk before applying the Eternabond. All the caulk does is keep water from entering the joint causing separation in the sidewalks and roof material. Once the Eternabond is applied it takes the place of the caulk and keeps water intrusion out.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your response, N8XV.

After applying Eternabond, I can see that water intrusion would be a thing of the past, regardless of the condition of the underlying caulk. However, if the caulk is not the culprit, do you have any thoughts/ideas about what causes the rare instance of a roof coming off?

To me, it seems ridiculous that a bead of caulk could play any role whatsoever in preventing a roof from flying off; however, some folks apparently disagree. All I'm trying to do is determine exactly what can cause that to happen and then do whatever I can to prevent it on our coach.

Bottom line question: does anyone out there know what causes the occasional Winnebago roof to fly off?

Thanks again for any advice/help on this issue.

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Does this mean that after paying the better part of 100K for my coach, I am expected to climp up on a ladder and re-do the seam around the roof and sidewall seam? Wow, seems to me that Winnie could come up with something better than that! For example, they might get together with Workhorse and see if they couldn't come up with some better MPG.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Gypsynut: As I understand it and from looking at pictures of roofs sections that have raised. Once the old caulk lets a little water in it causes the caulk seam to loosen even more. Eventuality in traveling the seam opens farther as the wind gets into the seam and forces the roofing up. If a front corner especially opens at 55/60 mph there is a lot of air pressure pushing air between the roof and substrate. I'm not sure how the roof is bonded to the substrate. But I'm sure once water gets to the plywood substrate the plywood itself would start to come apart even if the roof bonding held. I would think it would take an extreme case of no roof maintenance and all the bad luck one could get before the roof would completely detach.

Craig a 100K rig does not mean no maintenance needed. I don't know what your rig calls for as to roof maintenance, but I'm sure in your Winnie paperwork it's spelled out someplace. I would suggest you read up on the maintance required and even if you can not do it, learn what has to be done so when you take to the dealer to be done you can look it over and know the dealer did what you paid them to do.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here in our relatively small WIT group in North Dakota, we have had two members loose their roofs. They were both motorhomes that were about 3yrs old and both happened when the motorhomes were stationary in camp sites. In both cases Winnebago did nothing and the claims went to the insurance company.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you to all who have replied.

N8XV, what you said about air getting under and lifting the roof makes a whole lot of sense to me and I can certainly see how such a thing could cause the roof to lift off under certain conditions. I also agree that one would have to have really neglected the roof seam maintenance and be cursed with a trainload of bad luck for such a thing to happen. But I've come out on the short end of Murphy's law from time to time in the past and don't want it to happen again if I can prevent it. I'm pretty convinced now that Eternabond is the way to go.

John, your report is the first I've read about anyone losing their roof while the coach was sitting still. However, I suppose that the same phenomenon described by N8XV would apply whether the air pressure was caused by a moving coach or by wind blowing on a non-moving coach. Do you happen to know if the two members of your group who lost roofs had been diligent in maintaining their roof/sidewall seam with caulk and/or Eternabond?

Craig, I wholly agree with N8XV's recommendation that you check your manual regarding Winnebago's recommended seam maintenance. It's a PITA, but better to suffer a little pain every few months than to look in your rear view mirror one day and see your roof following you down the highway, huh?

As for me, I'm ordering and installing Eternabond. Afterward, if my rear view mirror shows my roof skidding down the road behind me, I'll at least have the satisfaction (miniscule though it may be) of knowing that I tried to prevent it.

Mike

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

As far as I understand it roof separation was an issue on a small segment of coaches as the fiberglass was cut short and did not tuck under the gutter rail enough for the gutter rail screws to go through it. The way it is designed the fiberglass overlaps the sidewalls by at least 1/2 inch and the gutters are screwed on through this overlap. You would have to neglect the coach for some time and possibly sideswipe a few trees before things would loosen up enough to cause a problem.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
Here in our relatively small WIT group in North Dakota, we have had two members loose their roofs. They were both motorhomes that were about 3yrs old and both happened when the motorhomes were stationary in camp sites. In both cases Winnebago did nothing and the claims went to the insurance company. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would love to hear the details on this one..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have had the roof come loose twice. Both times was from large gusts of cross winds.

The first time you could feel the entire coach flex, but only the seam and the first 6-8 came up, or the curve part as I was able to slow down before anymore damage. I saw a semi in front of me get blown into the oncoming traffic. Problem retaining rail not deep enought to hold the room.

They replaced the rain, but I still don't think the fiberglass went far enough into the rail. Lost the entire rear 1/3 of the roof.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeeperrmartin:
We have had the roof come loose twice. Both times was from large gusts of cross winds.

The first time you could feel the entire coach flex, but only the seam and the first 6-8 came up, or the curve part as I was able to slow down before anymore damage. I saw a semi in front of me get blown into the oncoming traffic. Problem retaining rail not deep enought to hold the room.

They replaced the rain, but I still don't think the fiberglass went far enough into the rail. Lost the entire rear 1/3 of the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On what date was this event and how long had you owned the coach? Were you driving through a tornado at the time? Wind blowing semi's across the road into oncoming traffic sounds pretty severe. Why were you moving at all if it was that bad? Seems like the time to slow down and pull over had long past. It's amazing the roof stayed on at all.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
Here in our relatively small WIT group in North Dakota, we have had two members loose their roofs. They were both motorhomes that were about 3yrs old and both happened when the motorhomes were stationary in camp sites. In both cases Winnebago did nothing and the claims went to the insurance company. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would love to hear the details on this one.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too...No offense to the poster of this, but I find this extremely hard to believe.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The first time in happened we were driving along a woods following the shoreline of Lake Superior. We were sheltered by the woods. Then the woods stopped and the gust came in off the lake. Wind had not been real bad, it was in 2002 Nov.

2nd time was down by St. Louis, we had been heading west into the wind, and turned south only went about 3/4 mile that time with the cross wind.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Does anyone have pictures of an eternabond installation. I am curious to see what it looks like after proper installation.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Jim, there is a great series of pictures of an Eternabond installation. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with using this site to know how to find them again. If I happen to find them, I'll post their location.

Mike

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Jim, the pictures of the Eternabond installation were posted by Jim Bob on January 26, 2006. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a link to them but if you click on "Photos" at the top of the page you should be able to find them, or maybe some more knowledgeable soul will post a link for you.

Mike

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I found then by searching jim bob.

Pretty clean installation.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote