Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Do you winterize your rv or pay to have it done

And if you do, do you use rv anti freeze. I have always done mine and did so last week using rv anti freeze.
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Was a new owner last year so I had my dealer do it while it was in for service. I'm going to do it myself this year.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Myself ... less than 3 gallons of the pink stuff
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just did it last weekend. Takes some common sense, a basic knowledge of the levers (and where they are), about 4 gallons of pink, and 90 minutes. If you are concerned, blow out the system first. Lots on YouTube to walk you through the process. We find that it goes much faster/smoother with two people (one inside and one outside). \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Always did it myself in the past, but with the current unit I'm having it done this Tues. I've never had to deal with a washer or residential fridge with ice maker in it in the past and felt that for the cost it's worth the peace of mind that it's done right by the dealer.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Always did it myself in the past, but with the current unit I'm having it done this Tues. I've never had to deal with a washer or residential fridge with ice maker in it in the past and felt that for the cost it's worth the peace of mind that it's done right by the dealer.
Your assumption is that the dealer will do it right, not always the case! I did my 2012 Ellipse last year with washer/dryer and residential fridge. Owner's manual had great instructions. Didn't trust the folks at Camping World.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We drive it somewhere warm now but before having that luxury we did it ourselves. I did blow it out before adding the pink stuff because it was easy enough and the temps where we lived got below 0°F in winter. The dishwasher got run on rinse cycle until pink came out and the ice maker run without being connected and let the line drain. The under the counter water filter has a bypass plug. Never had a problem.

Winnebago is pretty good about instructions in the manual on how to do it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you use the pink stuff, I recommend that you drain the water heater and then set it on bypass. It's hard to get that taste and smell out in the spring. Especially if it has set in the heater. Make yourself a checklist. Don't forget any filters.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I did it myself last weekend but wonder about it now. I have a 2008 35, Sightseer. I drained and rinsed the black & gray tanks. I drained the freshwater tank. I drained the HW heater and put it in bypass mode. I blew out the lines from the FW connection with 15PSI then I used the built in siphon hose and the water pump to apply RV anti-freeze. It took less than one gallon and I had pink coming out of every faucet, toilet & both showers. Why would I use 3 gallons? I just don't see what I am missing.
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I don't use the pink stuff. I've been blowing out my lines with compressed air for about 15 years and I pour a little pink down each drain, then leave the faucets/water heater drain open. Never had one problem.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Okay, this sounds a little nuts I suppose, but for years I have not used the "Pink Stuff". It tastes AWFUL! Instead I buy the cheapest Vodka I can find and use it. Of course many times I have been warned about the permanent damage it may cause to my pipes. Nothing has ever happened.

I pump it through the pipe system bypassing the water heater. I do pour the pink stuff in the drains. Vodka has these advantages.

!. Has a very low freeze point.
2. Almost as cheap as the pink stuff.
3. Leaves absolutely no after taste.
4. You can have a party in the Spring!

Wonder what the law would say about an RV traveling down the road with Vodka piped right out of the faucets. Open bottle??????
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I don't use the pink stuff. I've been blowing out my lines with compressed air for about 15 years and I pour a little pink down each drain, then leave the faucets/water heater drain open. Never had one problem.
Same here for 20 years.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks topdownman, that is what I did with the rest of the gallon I had, put it in the drain traps.
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
topdownman
Neither do I!

I winterize twice a year, (and have for the last 10 years), because we travel south from Wisconsin in late Dec. and north in March.

NOTE:
The following is NOT a recommendation, (just what I do/have done):

I simply "gravity drain" the water tank, hot water heater and ALL of the water lines, faucets and fixtures, (and I run RV antifreeze through the Splendide washer pump).......I have never "blown out" or put antifreeze into the fresh water system.

I also pour a cup of RV anitfreeze into down each drain, then leave the faucets, water heater drain and tank drain open, (and I have never had a problem).

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Three answers:

The first winter I used Pink Stuff (RV Antifreeze)
Next 3 I used air, lots and lots of air, Blew the lines out like 10 times (pausing between blows)

Now ... I still winterize myself. I drive 800 to 1000+ miles SOUTH.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My version of winterizing is to flip on the heater in the RV garage

I should add that one winter, I left the Tour on my RV lot in Show Low, AZ with the AquaHot on electric. It was fine afterwards. It can get pretty cold there. The lowest I've seen was -1° F.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We use ours all year long so I just keep heat in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We do ourselves by air purge and back fill with RV Afreeze. I have a small air compressor and recently I made an attachment to reduce output pressure to 30 psig so it wouldnt damage piping.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We winterize ourselves. After 7 seasons, we've got the routine down pat. $10 worth of RV antifreeze & about an hour of our time & it's all done.

Our dealer wants $119 for a basic winterize & $59 for each additional appliance (in our case fridge & w/d). Plus they charge more for the pink stuff than I can get it on sale. The $227+ we've been saving for the past 7 winters has gotten us half way to paying for the new tires we'll need next spring.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I do my own with RV antifreeze. Just did it a week ago. Took approx 3 gals with water heater drained and in bypass and including a cup or so down each trap. I also top off the fuel tank and add the appropriate amount of stabil to get it through Wisconsin winters.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter