Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Do you really need slider locks?

I was told by fellow RVers that they really aren't necessary.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The day my DW tried to open a slide without removing the slide lock is the last time I ever used one. That was three years ago and nothing bad has happened yet. We do have a 5er with electric slides so I wouldn't have a clue if they are neccessary if you have hydrolic slides. I still keep them stored under the bed just in case I would need them for some unforseen reason.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

IF you forget to check (when installed you can not see them) and open the slide you will tear the top molding off, if you look in your side mirrors and see "slide creep" you can just pulll over and close it or have a passenger hit the retact button. The choice is yours, I'm a mirror guy. (winnies are not known for "slide creep" but I do still watch the mirrors).
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
IF you forget to check (when installed you can not see them) and open the slide you will tear the top molding off, if you look in your side mirrors and see "slide creep" you can just pulll over and close it or have a passenger hit the retact button. The choice is yours, I'm a mirror guy. (winnies are not known for "slide creep" but I do still watch the mirrors).
Todd
If you went to the Winnebago seminar at GNR you may find a difference of opinion. Each year the same question is asked, and each year the answer is the same. Winnebago recommends slide locks be used. They use the example of wind comming from the left rear causing the upper rear corner of the main slide to move up to 6" from the body. When it returns it's usually with a loud bang. It may or may not cause damage but at the very least it would be an unpleasant surprise.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I haven't used mine in three years and 35K miles. HWH says there's 3K lbs of pressure holding them in, and if lose the fluid (happened once), the slides only move a couple of inches off the high point and then stop. Since my locks required a hole in the slide roof, I already had one slide leak and don't want to take the chance of it happening again. As I said on another post, the Winnebago tech at Forest City told me he thought it was a stupid idea to put a hole in the roof, and that in his opinion it was only because of their liability attorneys. I'm sure others will disagree, and if you want to use 'em, go ahead. I'm a real rebel - I don't even use wheel covers, just Formula 303.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine was delivered with only the front locks installed, and on the PDI the sales rep told me most people take them off. I too removed mine. I don't see how they could hold the slide as they only attach to the trim with 2 small wood screws. 9 years later all is fine, no creeping.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have never used the slide locks that came with the motorhome. I drive in windy locations all the time (Santa Ana Winds of Southern Calif). I have never had a problem or any form of creep in the slides.
Am I just luck? I don't know, but I believe I would do more damage forgetting to remove the locks after a long, which in my mind is a more plausible scenario.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If you went to the Winnebago seminar at GNR you may find a difference of opinion. Each year the same question is asked, and each year the answer is the same. Winnebago recommends slide locks be used. They use the example of wind comming from the left rear causing the upper rear corner of the main slide to move up to 6" from the body. When it returns it's usually with a loud bang. It may or may not cause damage but at the very least it would be an unpleasant surprise.
That wind is called a TORNADO !

2004 Winny,79000 miles, big wind from every angle, no straps and it has never crept out !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Todd
My sister has a Winnebago and their bedroom slide had the creep problem. It would extend about 4" while they drove. A friend with a Winnebago found he had the slide creep on his way to Alaska. His big slide would extend about 8" every hundred or so miles. So yes, Winnebago motorhomes do have the slide creep problem.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Hikerdogs,
Sorry I had misread your post so this is an edit.
I think You would notice (mirrors) and hear (wind noise) a 6 inch slide creep long before it was a problem. Did the Winnebago rep say weather this was due to a slide mechanism failure? On my Cambria when installed (top mount behind moulding) you can not see the slide locks. While I do think they are a good idea, if you forget you do wind up with a ruined slide that will cost a lot to fix. It cost me nothing to look in my mirror and listen for excessive wind noise.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

HI FDchief,
Mine was also deliverd with the 2 living area slide locks installed (Winnebago did not provide one for the bedroom slide?) and it was reccommeded they not be used, major cause of slide damage was the reason given.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I believe they cause more harm then good.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi Norm4015,
I'm pretty sure I would see a 4 or 8 inch slide creep using my mirrors and I'm positive I would have heard it in the form of excessive wind noise long before that. I also think that with that much creep the problem is most likely a slide mechanism failure (hydrualic or electric) and repair would solve the problem.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Think you need to assess the replies and make your own decision. Remember you dont have a 3000 lb hydraulic restraint on today's slides. I previously owned a 08 Cambria. All slide mechanisms were electric as are most on all Winnebago RVs now. I wonder if the gear on the electric motor shaft is all that is restraining the slide. Winn puts two electric locks on their Class A diesel slides that use the same electric slide mechanisms / motors. I suspect that they would not spend those $$$$ if they were unnecessary and they would have been eliminated in their cost cutting initiatives. The final decision is yours.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The hydraulic lines in our front slide in our previous Winnebago 35L failed while we were driving. We didn't notice it until we arrived in Winnemucca, NV . . . had we not had the slide locked, I shudder to think what would have happened. Upon arrival in Winnemucca, one side of the slide was flush with the coach but the other side was out about 2 inches. Incidentally, be wary of a repairman named "Vance" in Winnemucca!!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We recently had a hydraulic hose failure and the LR slide jumped out about 4 inches. Luckily we were parked and in the process of setting up and had not extended that slide yet. If the slide had not been locked I don't know how far the slide would have come out. Putting it back in manually was not fun. We have also had the water leak in that slide and will be at the factory the end of August for repairs. It will be interesting to see what their solution to the leak is.
bilcol81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
I was told by fellow RVers that they really aren't necessary.
my bedroom slide self extended 9'' while i was crossing the columbia river on the l 5 bridge, a very scary situation. the lanes are narrow.
i engineered a strap lockdown for my rear slide and always use both of my front straps. imho slide retainers are necessary.
i also cut 3 2x4 pieces to length and install them in the overheads to make sure the slides do not extend. i installed long ribbons on the lumber to remind me to remove them before extending the slides.
we also use checklists.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
As someone who has forgotten to lower the TV dish (a couple of times) and started to drive off (once) still connected to power (just moving to the dump station so didnt do the full check) I need another thing to forget like a hole in my head (which I obviously already have...) I have an electric slide and every time I go to put it out, some sort of ratchet slips. I stop the motor and the next time it goes out perfectly. I must find out what causes this - next week.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #19

We were told at GNR That someone had met a large truch on the highway and the suction sucked the slide out; I belived that tell I had to pull mine in because the motor stopped working ;; Friend I'm here to tell you they don't move vary easyly; . with that being Said They do creep In and out , When setting for a while. I forgot to remove ours once And it pulled that nice OAK trim off the slide, Shissh; They now live somewhere in the coach. they will last a long time, couse they are not used.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote