Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I don't buy the "road salt" problem. I have a 94 gmc pick up truck that I have plowed with and driven in the snow here in NH for 23 years. I have 220,000 miles on this truck and I have washed it maybe ten times since I have owned it. It still looks better than my 05 Journey. I think the problem is either poor treatment of the metal components during assembly or maybe because we don't drive them daily the chassis never dries out and the moisture just sits there eating away at the chassis. I wonder how the motor homes hold up for those people who store in a garage or carport?
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don G:
I don't buy the "road salt" problem. I have a 94 gmc pick up truck that I have plowed with and driven in the snow here in NH for 23 years. I have 220,000 miles on this truck and I have washed it maybe ten times since I have owned it. It still looks better than my 05 Journey. I think the problem is either poor treatment of the metal components during assembly or maybe because we don't drive them daily the chassis never dries out and the moisture just sits there eating away at the chassis. I wonder how the motor homes hold up for those people who store in a garage or carport? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

Move to Florida with that 13 year old truck and see what it looks like after 1 year in the Florida heat and humidity. The Southern climate greatly amplifies and accelerates the effects of road salt especially if where you park does not have a good vapor barrier underneath it and airflow around it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the Math correction, seemed longer to me.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Tom N, it is good to hear that Winnebago is stepping up to the plate in trying to correct your problem. Sounds like a perfect solution to me. Hope it all works out for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
Tom N, it is good to hear that Winnebago is stepping up to the plate in trying to correct your problem. Sounds like a perfect solution to me. Hope it all works out for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I have been contacted by Winnebago concerning my rusting chrome grill. They have offered to replace the chrome piece. When I receive the replacement, install it and it is satisfactory I'll be deleting my negative post concerning the rust and posting a positive post concerning Winnebago's goodwill policy.

-Tom
currently home near Pittsburgh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I am glad it is working out for you. After reading your original post I would suggest to others reading this thread that an email alone is not enough of an attempt to get an issue resolved. Consumers have to be proactive and not just send an email. Sometimes emails don't get there or get there and get lost due to the appropriate individual not getting the email. Phone calls are required and actually talking to someone who is a postion to offer advice and direction is needed. Follow ups are also required, be persistent.

As for posting negative comments, I believe all avenues need to be exhausted before I would do that.

Once again, I am glad winnebago has offered to help you with this issue.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I have been contacted by Winnebago concerning my rusting chrome grill. They have offered to replace the chrome piece. When I receive the replacement, install it and it is satisfactory I'll be deleting my negative post concerning the rust and posting a positive post concerning Winnebago's goodwill policy.

-Tom
currently home near Pittsburgh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I am glad it is working out for you. After reading your original post I would suggest to others reading this thread that an email alone is not enough of an attempt to get an issue resolved. Consumers have to be proactive and not just send an email. Sometimes emails don't get there or get there and get lost due to the appropriate individual not getting the email. Phone calls are required and actually talking to someone who is a postion to offer advice and direction is needed. Follow ups are also required, be persistent.

As for posting negative comments, I believe all avenues need to be exhausted before I would do that.

Once again, I am glad winnebago has offered to help you with this issue.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that Winnebago is quite up front on their contact page when they tell you not to email except for basic info. They are very straight forward on how they prefer to talk with you directly. I have always found my phone conversations with them the quickest and best route.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Tom, glad to hear they made good on your grille.
This not only makes you happy but it also gives me a "warm and fuzzy" about the good folks at Winny. They have always been great to me and most helpful. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Now, the BIG question is what's going on with the OP on RV.net (since closed) that started this thread.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Now, the BIG question is what's going on with the OP on RV.net (since closed) that started this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too, sent him a PM inviting him over here to this site and this thread that I started, but he never responded back to me.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Interesting thread. Our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer, that we purchased just this past May, has surprisingly little rust on it. In fact, when we were doing the PDI at the dealership, my husband and I had the opportunity to walk all underneath it while it was up on the lift (to have a rock guard installed). We didn't see any rust (there must be some somewhere, but it sure looked very clean); we were very impressed. We're the second owners, and according to the paperwork, the first owners had their new coach delivered from Winnie to the dealer in Aug. 2000.

I am not aware of whether or not the coach was stored in a garage or if they drove during the winter months or not. Btw...We (and the first owners) are in Ohio, so we do get snow, ice, and road salt.
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

There is something strange concerning this rust situation. I have a 2001 Itasca 32-V with 25000 miles. Driven every winter, I have almost zero rust anywhere on the coach underneath or any where else. If I drive on salted roads I do let it sit for several hours on top of a yard sprinkler and flush the undercarriage pretty completely. However I don't think this would prevent all rust. I also live in Ohio, the rust belt. Coach is stored outside all of the time.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 Meridian. I park it inside and wash it frequently and thouroghly. I have the factory undercoating. All my side compartment lower edges are rusted. I can repair it but it shouldnt have happened..
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmaserv:
I have an 04 Meridian. I park it inside and wash it frequently and thouroghly. I have the factory undercoating. All my side compartment lower edges are rusted. I can repair it but it shouldnt have happened.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever spoke to someone at Winnebago about this issue?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #35
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I had so much rust on the inner panels it made me sick. If a prospective buyer ever saw the rust they would definitely steer clear of Winnie products. A Winne rep inspected the rust and told me it was just surface rust and refused to fix it. It should not happen maybe after 15yrs but not after 2-3. I used a product called "por 15". It took me a while but the boxes came out looking like new.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Last week I received a new chrome grille from Winnebago for my Suncruiser.

I plan to install it this week. I'll take some photos of the new grill after I install it and post them.

Winnebago stepped up to the plate on my rusting grill issue and I'm a happy Winnebago customer.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Winnebago shipped a new chrome grill a couple weeks ago and I installed it this week.

I've deleted my posts concerning the rust as they now serve no purpose but to discourage a prospective buyer from buying a well made product.

Thanks Winnebago!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Tom - nice job! Also congrats on how you handled this situation with Winnie. It's nice to know they stand behind their product.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote