Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Do our '04 Itasca Horizon headlights fit other vehicles?

Gang,
Many coaches, makes, models and years, have headlights that were "stolen" off of cars, trucks, suvs, etc. so the manufacturers of those coaches, didn't have to "redesign" the wheel so to speak. They just simply design the headlight area to accept the lights they've chosen to use. A good move on their part.

But, in our case, an '04 Itasca Horizon, I don't think that's what happened. I've done a search (minor one) to see if I could recognize the same headlights on various vehicles, trucks, vans and SUVs and, no luck yet. So far, our headlights are working fine, albeit a bit on the dim side but, never the less, they work.

I'm asking this just in case I have a hard time finding any replacements if and when I might need to. But, here's a link to some on ebay that started out about 7-8 months ago at $90.00 each and now their up to $110.00 each. I probably ought to get a set of these before they go up any higher. But, I'm just wondering.

Itasca Horizon 2004 2005 2006 Right Passenger Front Head Light Lamp RV Motorhome | eBay
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm sure that your lights come off some other mass-produced vehicle. The headlights on my 2005 Vectra come from a Mercury Mountaineer and the tail lights come from a Corvette.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Take a look at a 2001-2004 Nissan Frontier (per this thread over on rvforum.net).

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just a quick note on headlights in general....

Winnebago typically does not use OEM lights. They are often aftermarket. Those lights on ebay are very likely (like 99%) aftermarket too. You'd find that real Nissan (or whoever) lights would cost 5 or 10 times as much. Besides voltage and aiming, aftermarket quality is the third leg on the the "poor headlight" stool.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Just a quick note on headlights in general....

Winnebago typically does not use OEM lights. They are often aftermarket. Those lights on ebay are very likely (like 99%) aftermarket too. You'd find that real Nissan (or whoever) lights would cost 5 or 10 times as much. Besides voltage and aiming, aftermarket quality is the third leg on the the "poor headlight" stool.
Tim,
Well Sir, I'm no expert on the body pieces and parts, that's for sure. Now, in the event that, the link below just "happens" to be an exact match, than wouldn't you think Winne would have legal battles over using such a close match and say "they" invented that particular headlight??? I'm not a lawyer and, could be way off base here but, that's just what I'm thinking and, again, if Winne and Itasca "should" use already designed and proven headlight assemblies, then why invent one and, all that's done is pay the manufacture of those, (maybe Nissan) for the use of their headlights. Seems like a "win-win" situation to me. Again, just guessing here.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Take a look at a 2001-2004 Nissan Frontier (per this thread over on rvforum.net).
Chris,
Take a look at both links I'm presenting here, highlight, shrink, transpose and do whatever you have to do to put both headlights on the screen and tell me what you think please. Sure looks like a dead on match to me. But, not having both in my hand, looking at them physically in all dimensions, shape and size, I'm still a bit iffy, not much though. Thanks.
Scott
Itasca Horizon 2004 2005 2006 Right Passenger Front Head Light Lamp RV Motorhome | eBay

Nissan Frontier Depo 315 1141R AS1 NI2503130 26010 8Z325 26010 9Z425 New Lamp | eBay
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's a pair of them on ebay for $65.94 including shipping: NEW 01-04 NISSAN FRONTIER HEADLIGHTS HEADLAMPS PAIR SET NEW DRIVER+PASSENGER

Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Take a look at both links I'm presenting here, highlight, shrink, transpose and do whatever you have to do to put both headlights on the screen and tell me what you think please. Sure looks like a dead on match to me. But, not having both in my hand, looking at them physically in all dimensions, shape and size, I'm still a bit iffy, not much though. Thanks.
Scott

Nissan Frontier Depo 315 1141R AS1 NI2503130 26010 8Z325 26010 9Z425 New Lamp | eBay
If you bring both of those links up in browser and switch back and forth between the tabs you'll see that the picture doesn't change (except for a little 'noise' in one of the pictures) between the two pages.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago never said they invented them. My headlights are from a Chevy Impala. They aren't OE Chevy lights, they are made by TYC. It's just like a fender (or even a tire). You can buy the OEM one, or a cheap copy.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The 2004 ITASCA Headlights are from a 96-98 Pontiac Grand Am.
I have re aimed and installed upgraded bulbs and they are still poor. I adjusted the "fog" lights so they don't shine in oncoming drivers eyes. They work much better than the headlights if you are interested in seeing whats in front of you. They are wired so that they only come on with the low beams which is just fine. I was thing of chasnging the wireing so that the come on with both High and Low but have not done it yet.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The 2004 ITASCA Headlights are from a 96-98 Pontiac Grand Am.
I have re aimed and installed upgraded bulbs and they are still poor. I adjusted the "fog" lights so they don't shine in oncoming drivers eyes. They work much better than the headlights if you are interested in seeing whats in front of you. They are wired so that they only come on with the low beams which is just fine. I was thing of chasnging the wireing so that the come on with both High and Low but have not done it yet.
Chuck 1935,
I'm assuming you mean a 2004 Itasca "MERIDIAN". Yep, they are completely different than the HORIZON headlights. Yours don't work so good huh? Well, that's par for the course. I'm not sure what, if anything I'll do with mine to try and improve their operation. We'll see. Here's what yours look like in comparison to the ones on the Horizon.
Scott

Pontiac Grand Am 96 98 Headlights Headlamps Pair Set Left Right Lens Housing | eBay
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Be careful when buying lights (or anything else) off the Internet.

There are so many counterfeits that even the RV manufacturers are getting taken. The fake ones will even have DOT certification numbers on them. The fakes are much lower in quality, give poor light distribution and aren't legal for sale or use in the US.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Chuck 1935,
I'm assuming you mean a 2004 Itasca "MERIDIAN". Yep, they are completely different than the HORIZON headlights. Yours don't work so good huh? Well, that's par for the course. I'm not sure what, if anything I'll do with mine to try and improve their operation. We'll see. Here's what yours look like in comparison to the ones on the Horizon.
Scott

Pontiac Grand Am 96 98 Headlights Headlamps Pair Set Left Right Lens Housing | eBay
Oppps, sorry about that Scott. I saw Itasca and not the Horizon.
I did read on another forum post that if your headlights have two seperate bulbs, hi & low beam, you can put a relay on the low beams so that when you turn on the high beam the low beams stay on. I am going to do that as well as wireing in my clear fog lights so they can be used with both the Hi and Low beam and not just the low beam like it is now.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

My Itasca uses headlights from the 1999-2004 generation Chevrolet Suburban, which I also have. I bought two sets off of eBay and already installed them in the Suburban. Perfect fit and look exactly like OEM's. Night vision is the same as before, though it took of couple of tries to get them adjusted similar to the original ones.

Buy from a seller that specializes in headlight assemblies with a lot of transactions and you won't be disappointed. I bought two sets for just less than what I would have paid for one set at the Chevy store. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
My Itasca uses headlights from the 1999-2004 generation Chevrolet Suburban, which I also have. I bought two sets off of eBay and already installed them in the Suburban. Perfect fit and look exactly like OEM's. Night vision is the same as before, though it took of couple of tries to get them adjusted similar to the original ones.

Buy from a seller that specializes in headlight assemblies with a lot of transactions and you won't be disappointed. I bought two sets for just less than what I would have paid for one set at the Chevy store. -RT
RT,
There are times when purchasing "dealer items" and there's times when aftermarket ones will do just fine. Now, I've not purchased any headlight assemblies from those ebay stores but, like you've experienced, at 1/2 price, to me, it's worth a shot.
Scott
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

"Depot" is an aftermarket Tiawan product manufacturer. They ship huge quantities of body parts, including headlights to distributors throughout the good ole USA.

Many body shops use their "cost effective" parts. It has been my experience that their body parts are lower quality, poor fits and, most of all, they are not rust-treated at all, just given a quick shot of primer. If you have an older car and don't want to spend much money, they will work fine.

A reputable insurance company will not allow after-market replacement parts if you have a collision.

When it comes to the headlights, I have found that they are just fine. They seem to fit well and, in most cases the bulbs are just plug-in's and the illumination is not affected.

I seriously doubt that any (mainline) motorhome manufacturer has their own lights made especially for them, except for the million dollar rigs like Newell, etc. But, I'd bet they buy the Depot brand or equivalents. My Country Coach had Depot brand from the factory.

If you are in a metropolitan area, the chances are that you will have an after-market body parts supplier who will stock your head lights if you know what vehicle they are patterned after. Chances are they will cost less tan E-Bay and you can inspect them before buying.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

DEPO lights are what Tiffin installed at the factory on my MH. The headlamps fit a Honda Oddessy and the tail lamps fit a Honda Pilot. They are SAE certified and work just fine.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Search 2003 Nissan Frontier Headlights. Everyone has them, even JC Whitney.

Tags
itasca