Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

RKL....I have spoken with SCS/Frigette. They were very helpful up to the point where I said I had a Winnebago. After that, we had to walk through a 'theory' session about where stuff was 'intended' to go. They were very friendly and worked with me, but the bottom line was the fact that they do not install the system....they only make it and send it to Winnebago for installation.

However...I did learn that the condensor fan relay is either on the condensor itself or on the low pressure line up front. I'll confirm tonight.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday the A/C was fixed....almost. A mobile service company I use found the wiring connection to the compressor was corroded. Now I've got cold air coming out of the dash for the first time in a few years.

The lingering problem is the condensor fans don't come on. So the were still working through that issue.

Ken (TXiceman) was correct. You can't accurately assess the R-134 level if the compressor is not running. We found that the system was indeed low (not overpressurized) and had to add a few cans. The company had the necessary gauges.

Now to see why the fans don't run and if they are still good.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

just found this thread via a search, and hope one of you may have the answer.
We also have a leak somewhere in our dash air, and hubby has used the DIY method to recharge. Question is, how many cans of this stuff do you need to totally fill it? And, he wants to know how much oil is needed?

As you can tell, he is the mechanical one, I am the computer one.
Thanks
Dual
dualgwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

If you go to this url http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2005...Heating%20&%20AC.pdf

you'll find servicing info for most of the dash A/C systems. Find yours and you'll find out how much 134 you should have in your system.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
DIY process </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you post the DIY on the board?

Also, I wrote up my AC issue over here:
I found the bad switch!

Have any of you replaced the pressure switches on the AC dash? My DP has 2 - a 12 volt power switch (2 yellow wires) and a ground switch (2 white wires). I know that the ground switch is not closing - when I jump it, the fans fire up on the side mount condensor. Have any of you replaced these switches. Are these pressure or temp switches? Will the system evacuate when removed? Thanks, Jeff.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

jhanan,

I sent you a Private Topic with the DIY process that was given me. Two words of caution....the Winnebago site and information about the A/C servicing states 40oz of R134 is a system charge. Don't overfill.

Secondly, make sure your compressor is running. That is the only way to measure pressure correctly. That being said, you may have to add a can (8oz) of coolant just to get the compressor to turn....but I would add no more than that.

I don't know if those 2 switches are pressure or temp switches or if replacing them breaks the system. I'm afraid you may have to have some professional place put the replacements in.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Jim - thanks. My system does cool now, and cools better when I close the switch to get the fans to kick on. I beleive the system is a little low, so I will add the working fluid with a gauge system and read up on the instruction manual on how to do this.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
I don't know if those 2 switches are pressure or temp switches or if replacing them breaks the system. I'm afraid you may have to have some professional place put the replacements in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I now know for sure that the white wired switch on the hot side is a pressure switch.

My system was very low on fluid - measured at 5psi with the gage I got from the auto store. I charged the system with an "RV" size canister and a gage and was able to get the system up to 30psi. Upon inpection, the cooling fans now kick on momentarily every few minutes and run for about 5 to 10 seconds and then shut off (I did not time the cycle). When only 5psi was in the system, that pressure switch would never close. According to the guide, the system should hold 45psi of fluid, measured on the cold side. I tried several times to get more in with the large can I had purchased - more was left in the can, but I could never get more than 30psi in the system, so it is still under charged.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Once you get above a certain level, it takes a lot longer to get the fluid into the system. I noticed that it was very slow going in the mornings and faster in the afternoons. The fans kick on and off about every 30 seconds for 10 seconds or so on our coach.

One other point....the gauge from the auto store may not be the most precise instrument you can use. I used 3 different ones and all three measured 'green' with different results.

In the end, if the system would take no more fluid, it didn't register over pressure, the fans kicked on, the airconditioning put out cold air, I was happy. I rechecked once a week for 3 weeks.

Glad this is working out for you.