Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I've got a hose leaking on my rear slide...one that goes to the main cylinder ram and all the way back to the pump amidships. I'm on hold with HWH now to see if they will send me one (since I understand they had problems with hoses in that year). I might need to replace myself since my trusted, reliable RV guys are going out of business next week .

Getting the fittings loose is simple but that hose seems to be buried in the belly of the beast. Just wondering if any of you DIY'rs have done this and, if so, any tips.

Thanks.

P.S. based on HWH part #'s, my leaking hose is not one affected by their TSB so no freebie. However, they only want about $45 for the hose so not too bad.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've got a hose leaking on my rear slide...one that goes to the main cylinder ram and all the way back to the pump amidships. I'm on hold with HWH now to see if they will send me one (since I understand they had problems with hoses in that year). I might need to replace myself since my trusted, reliable RV guys are going out of business next week .

Getting the fittings loose is simple but that hose seems to be buried in the belly of the beast. Just wondering if any of you DIY'rs have done this and, if so, any tips.

Thanks.

P.S. based on HWH part #'s, my leaking hose is not one affected by their TSB so no freebie. However, they only want about $45 for the hose so not too bad.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hello,
I had A 02 Journey DL 39QD. I had to replace the rear hose for the slide out as well.(Also the front hose)It was not that bad to replace, Maybe 2 hours or so. When your done you just run the slide in and out to bleed all the air out. Then top off your fluid, I used ATF.
Let me know if I can be of help!
Kevin
KKHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

By the way, I took the hose to Napa auto parts and they made me A hose in 5 min. I did not want to wait A week and HWH hose was more expensive. When I compared hoses It felt like Napa's hose was twice as strong.
Kevin
KKHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
gMw
Winnebago Owner

HWH replaced the hoses on our rear slide last year, under warranty, HWH had gotten a bad batch of hoses in the '02 time frame. The people at HWH were great and easy to work with...

One interesting thing I noticed was the replacement hose was a larger inside diameter. I'm not complaining, but noticed the slide moves a whole lot faster....

I'd recommend contacting HWH to see if the hoses you have are part of the bad batch or not...
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, should have added... If you want to replace the hoses yourself, contact HWH, they will give you instructions for purging the air out of the ram/system.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced a HWH hose to my front jack. HWH was great in giving me advice, I just took the hose of and went to a local shop and had one made up. Very quick job. worst part was getting under the beast and pull old hose out a rerouting new hose.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks, guys. I'll be crawling under the beast sometime this week and will get a new hose made up locally.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

smlranger
See my post under "quick disconnect for air"
Richard
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Update:

I was able to remove the leaking hose today and it may have been a blessing that that I had a leak at the fitting requiring removal of the hose. Unlike the other hydraulic hoses going to the rear slide, this one had been 'mis-routed??' so that it was very near the exhaust pipe. The protective plastic sleeve around the hose was completely melted away and the hose itself was nearly melted through. There is a V-shaped metal bracket welded to the frame that keeps the hoses away from the exhaust. This hose was routed outside that bracket and was sitting about an inch away from the exhaust.

I can only guess that if that hose ruptured while underway, it would have sprayed or spilled hydraulic fluid which may have caught fire .

Will be having a new hose made up tomorrow. I don't think routing the new hose up and over the rear axle assembly will be as easy as it was to pull it out.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

In response to the post by smlranger regarding the misrouted hydaulic hose next to the exhaust, I just came upon a recall for that problem, if anyone else may have the same situation. Here is the text:

Year: 2002 Make: WINNEBAGO Model: Q40E , Q40ED , ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE , ULTIMATE FREEDOM Recall Date: 07/23/2002
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 32
Manufactured: 10/2001 - 04/2002
Defect Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, THE HYDRAULIC LINES FOR THE BEDROOM SLIDEOUT MAY BE ROUTED ADJACENT TO THE ENGINE EXHAUST. THE TEMPERATURE OF THE EXHAUST COULD DEGRADE THE HOSE TO THE POINT A LEAK COULD DEVELOP.

Consequence Summary:

IF A LEAK WERE TO OCCUR, HYDRAULIC FLUID COULD SPRAY ON TO HOT EXHAUST OR ENGINE COMPONENTS AND COULD IGNITE RESULTING IN A FIRE.

Corrective Summary:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE AND CORRECTLY ROUTE THE HYDRAULIC LINES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT WINNEBAGO AT 1-641-585-6939.
CtYankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CtYankey:
In response to the post by smlranger regarding the misrouted hydaulic hose next to the exhaust, I just came upon a recall for that problem, if anyone else may have the same situation. Here is the text:

Year: 2002 Make: WINNEBAGO Model: Q40E , Q40ED , ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE , ULTIMATE FREEDOM Recall Date: 07/23/2002
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 32
Manufactured: 10/2001 - 04/2002
Defect Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, THE HYDRAULIC LINES FOR THE BEDROOM SLIDEOUT MAY BE ROUTED ADJACENT TO THE ENGINE EXHAUST. THE TEMPERATURE OF THE EXHAUST COULD DEGRADE THE HOSE TO THE POINT A LEAK COULD DEVELOP.

Consequence Summary:

IF A LEAK WERE TO OCCUR, HYDRAULIC FLUID COULD SPRAY ON TO HOT EXHAUST OR ENGINE COMPONENTS AND COULD IGNITE RESULTING IN A FIRE.

Corrective Summary:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE AND CORRECTLY ROUTE THE HYDRAULIC LINES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT WINNEBAGO AT 1-641-585-6939. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting....no mention of the 2002 Journey but the main hose coming from the pump to the rear slide synchronizing cylinder was melted. Perhaps the original owner got the notice but failed to respond???
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger...I replaced the same hose myself..I disconnected both ends and then duct taped the new hose to the old one at the rear and with some help gently pulled (while my buddy pushed)the old hose frontward. Took some tweaking at various spots but it worked...Be carefull to seal up both ends of the new hose....good luck....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RKL:
Smlranger...I replaced the same hose myself..I disconnected both ends and then duct taped the new hose to the old one at the rear and with some help gently pulled (while my buddy pushed)the old hose frontward. Took some tweaking at various spots but it worked...Be carefull to seal up both ends of the new hose....good luck....RKL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I would have done if I had the new hose. I removed the old hose, took it to the rubber place and they made up the new hose. I even told them to make it a foot longer so I could re-route it away from the exhaust. When I got home, they had made it a foot shorter than the old hose . So, I had the local auto parts store make an 18" extension.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2002 Journey DL 36GD and are the original owners. We never received any recall notice regarding that hose, but the hose did melt due to the proximity to the exhaust and had to be replaced on our nickel. Apparently there were other Journey's of our year that had the same problem. Shame on Winnebago.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have been putting off the replacement of our hose-hoses for a while, I will probably replace all of the hoses located in the area of the hot exhaust while under the MH soon as we now have some drips. It would make sense to me to protect the hoses and fitting near the hot exhaust to extend their lives, I would like to wrap the hoses with some type of insulation like I see on the front brake lines of the new Ford diesel pickups or something like it. Any ideas?
Also has anyone gotten the bleed procedure from HWH--can save me from bothering them.
Thanks, Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I don't know the insulation you talk about, but when I got my new hose made at a local place they offered to put on a nice protective cove, the price was cheap compared to the hose.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also has anyone gotten the bleed procedure from HWH--can save me from bothering them.
Thanks, Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob:

FWIW, when I talked directly to HWH about bleeding air after installation of my hose, they said only that I needed to run the slide in and out several times to purge the air...air returns to the fluid reservoir. Now, if you have to replace the synchronizing cylinder (I thought it might be leaking but was not), HWH said there was a specific bleed procedure for that and they suggested only they could do it properly.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

rvcarpenter-smlranger
Thanks for the help, I called the local NAPA parts and said that they do make hoses. I will ask about the protective coating that sounds like a good idea. Our rear balancing cylinder was replaced several years ago under the warranty and I observed the tech run the slide in and out to bleed the system at that time.
Thanks again, Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote