Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Disable leveling jack alarm?

When my HWH jacks are down the alarm will squeal like crazy if I start the engine on my Class C............for good reason, of course. There are times though when I would like to run the engine; e.g., to supplement the roof A/C when camping in a hot area but I would need to quiet that alarm, temporarily. (I always have my jacks down for stabilization even when the spot is fairly level.) Anyone done the alarm disabling thing?

Guess I could call/email HWH, but I doubt they would want to tell me how to "cheat the system" ............. even on a temporary basis.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't recommend disabling the alarm, it's there so you don't try to move with jacks down. Not hard to disable though, just remove the fuse supplying power to the jacks system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good approach, Bob. Guess I could look into installing a switch in that line .... maybe one that would light a strategically located red lamp when the feed to the HWH was disabled? Food for thought, anyway. Thanks much.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Make sure the buzzer goes off with the fuse pulled, it could be a switched ground type alarm control system. When we raise the TV antenna, I have a warning sign I hang from the shift lever so we don't move with the antenna up. Problem with a warning light, it will drain battery over time.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm planning on using a momentary switch and a latching relay system to turn mine off. But then it will reset when the key is turned off again. That way I don't forget about it.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mine only beeps if the key is on and you turn off the parking brake.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The decibel level of the alarm is insane. I crawled under the dash, found the siren and put adhesive putty over it. Still plenty loud but not ear piercing. If too quiet, you can peal back the putty until it gets to the level you prefer.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I made a little tag that I zip tie to the steering wheel that said "Raise the levelers, Stupid!"

It seems to work pretty well.
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I found the control box under the dash, cut the red power wire and installed a switch. When I use it to silence the alarm it is just something I have to remember to turn back on again.

No different than remembering to pull in the slides BEFORE raising the jacks. Or remembering to drop the antenna, or roll up the awning. And no more dangerous. IMO.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've had the annoying buzzer cut out for about 8 yrs now. My Winnie has a big red light on when the jacks are down and that works for me.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
When my HWH jacks are down the alarm will squeal like crazy if I start the engine on my Class C............for good reason, of course. There are times though when I would like to run the engine; e.g., to supplement the roof A/C when camping in a hot area but I would need to quiet that alarm, temporarily. (I always have my jacks down for stabilization even when the spot is fairly level.) Anyone done the alarm disabling thing?

Guess I could call/email HWH, but I doubt they would want to tell me how to "cheat the system" ............. even on a temporary basis.
Yea, Ed. That thing is loud on my rig too. I had to pull the dash cover off to get to it. I put a baggie full of cotton balls around it to soften the sound.

In your case you might wire a relay to the hot lead of the alarm. Operate it with a switch and have it hold up as long as the ignition is on (alarm mode). Wire the hot lead to the NO contacts (if I remember my relays correctly). The goal here is to have the relay operated instead of the alarm screeching when you are simply running the A/C when parked.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2001 dp journey the starting is erract ,I have tohit the sw several before the engine will start --I been told to check battarys (INSTALLED 2 NEW ONE)also check the pos and neg cables (did that)and sprayed with protective spray-is there any thing else that would pervent the engine from starting --perhaps some interlock I am unaware of?
wr35616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I'm planning on using a momentary switch and a latching relay system to turn mine off. But then it will reset when the key is turned off again. That way I don't forget about it.
jt
This is the best idea...and if you don't have a red warning light, install one.
then use the latching relay to inhibit the alarm only so the light will always be on.

It is annoying when you want to run the engine or tun on the ignition when jacks are down. Wife hates it....

Dan
Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
This is the best idea...and if you don't have a red warning light, install one.
then use the latching relay to inhibit the alarm only so the light will always be on.

It is annoying when you want to run the engine or tun on the ignition when jacks are down. Wife hates it....

Dan
Already have the warning lamp. Just gotta do the install.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr35616 View Post
I have a 2001 dp journey the starting is erract ,I have tohit the sw several before the engine will start --I been told to check battarys (INSTALLED 2 NEW ONE)also check the pos and neg cables (did that)and sprayed with protective spray-is there any thing else that would pervent the engine from starting --perhaps some interlock I am unaware of?
:welcome:

This thread is about disabling a leveling jacks alarm. You'd get better response if you started a new thread on this new topic.

Erratic starting could have a number of sources. Your ignition switch could be faulty. It is probably connected to a relay that actually switches the fuel flow solenoid on. If the ignition is O.K. but the starter fails to engage, it could be another solenoid or the actual starter solenoid itself. The starter motor could have a dead spot on it that causes erratic starting behavior.

Spraying electrical connections may or may not actually improve their ability to make good contact. Remove battery connections, use steel wool or a wire brush to clean them, then replace. Same for other connections, disconnect, clean, then fasten them together again. This includes the connections at the starter, all solenoids that plug in a socket, etc.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Find the warning alarm unit under the dash, install toggle switch between each side of alarm unit and mount switch in dash and your good to go. Will not effect red jacks down lamp installed by Winnebago on the dash. Works on my 2016 Solei 34T. Cost about $5.00 for the switch.
Good Luck
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr35616 View Post
:welcome:
Glad you found us!

Being new to this forum it takes some time to understand the best approach to finding the information you are needing. Use the "powered by Google" search box at the top of the page to find current threads on your topic. If you can't find one then start a NEW thread. In all fairness to you, you may have thought you were posting in the generator start issue thread.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSUNRISE View Post
Find the warning alarm unit under the dash, install toggle switch between each side of alarm unit and mount switch in dash and your good to go. Will not effect red jacks down lamp installed by Winnebago on the dash. Works on my 2016 Solei 34T. Cost about $5.00 for the switch.
Good Luck
This will work but I don't think it is the best solution. If just once you forget or think you put the jacks up and try to drive off, that will be a sad day for you. You could bend all of your jacks. I like the latching relay idea. I just wish I would have thought of it before I put all of those cotton balls around my alarm speaker.

Even with the latching relay care must be taken. If the reason the alarm were disabled was to run the main engine for a time and one is inspired to drive off without shutting it down, DON'T FORGET THE DEPLOYED JACKS.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The big red warning lamp on the dash is not effected by installing a switch to just disable the audible alarm.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSUNRISE View Post
The big red warning lamp on the dash is not effected by installing a switch to just disable the audible alarm.
Keep in mind the HWH system does not have dual acting jacks like the Lippert systems. On HWH they are powered down and spring return up. If you're sure the jacks will not drift down while under way it might be a valid solution.

However there have been some instances (our 2001 Adventurer included) where a hydraulic line was run close to a heat source like an exhaust pipe or manifold. Under the right heat and humidity conditions the hydraulic fluid in the line would heat up enough to expand and force a jack to extend. With the alarm at least you'll know the system has to be reset. Without it you may not know a jack is extended until something is damaged.

Personally I would go with those that have muted the alarm rather than disable it.

Tags
leveling