Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have dirty spots appearing on my ceiling of my coach. They have been coming on for awhile. They are in the seams of wood paneling on the ceiling. It appears to be dirt or something coming from the duct runs carved out of the foam. I just can't see where all the dirt would be coming from because I change the filter often! It is mainly on the passenger side of coach. I was thinking it might be aluminum dust but it doesn't transfer from a cloth to your fingers. I can clean up the spots somewhat by using Tech & blotting the spots. Any ideas on this. The dust is also way in back where the side walls meet the ceiling on both sides of coach.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have dirty spots appearing on my ceiling of my coach. They have been coming on for awhile. They are in the seams of wood paneling on the ceiling. It appears to be dirt or something coming from the duct runs carved out of the foam. I just can't see where all the dirt would be coming from because I change the filter often! It is mainly on the passenger side of coach. I was thinking it might be aluminum dust but it doesn't transfer from a cloth to your fingers. I can clean up the spots somewhat by using Tech & blotting the spots. Any ideas on this. The dust is also way in back where the side walls meet the ceiling on both sides of coach.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dave;

I am not sure what your ceiling material is but we used a product called RESOLVE on our previous 97 Adventure. It cleaned up the spots well.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't what it is made of but it looks like something you would line a coffin with.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds more like mold and mildew. When was the last time you checked your caulking on your roof?

Could also be from cooking and showering without using the vent fans.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have one area like that near the rear on the driver's side just in front of the cabinet over the washer/dryer. It is NOT mold or mildew. It looks more like dark dust to me, but curious shape in almost straight line from the sidewall and out about three inches before it fades away. I haven't tried vacuuming it ...might see what that does.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not a leaky roof! Not mold & mildew. No grease or oil base to it! Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

AFChap IF you take off the vents. You can see how Winne made the ceiling. First the outer shell, styrofoam sheets( with the ducts in them), a sheet of phywood with the coffin type material glued onto that. So any dust that is in the duct runs can get into any seams in the styrofoam & phywood & cause dirty spots on the coffin material from the inside out.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 99 Suncruiser diesel, and I have 2 spots as you have all mentioned. They are as straight as can be for about 3-5 inches. Have never tried to do anything with them, because I usually make something like that worse.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

In general, even if you clean your AC filters frequently, you may still get some dust coming from the ceiling ducts. According to Winnebago, dust typically either gets in around the edge of the AC filter or its too fine to get trapped. In any case, to remove the dirt, I actually vacuumed the ceiling (with a cannister type vacuum that had a head with a beater bar). It did a great job and the ceiling now looks like new again.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have dirty spots on our ceiling but it is dirt coming of off the cover over the slide out room as it is winding up as the room comes in. Our ceiling is fake cowhide (like the captains chairs) so cleaning is easy.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dirt coming of off the cover over the slide out room as it is winding up as the room comes in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill

You have fake cowhide on the ceiling?? ...I guess it is all vinyl colored, not "cow" colors?? My son has a pop-up that we re-upholstered in "cow print" so I am seeing black and white splotches on your ceiling in my mind.

...and it gets dirty from dirt coming off of the slideout topper? I'm having trouble imagining how that happens! The slide topper rolls at the outside edge of the slide, and anything on top of it should just fall over the edge. So, dirt on top of the slide itself gets on the ceiling??
Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

If these spots are actually dirt and not mold one of the OXY cleaners will remove the stains.

The dollar stores have oxy cleaners in the soap detergent aisle.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dirt coming of off the cover over the slide out room as it is winding up as the room comes in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill

You have fake cowhide on the ceiling?? ...I guess it is all vinyl colored, not "cow" colors?? My son has a pop-up that we re-upholstered in "cow print" so I am seeing black and white splotches on your ceiling in my mind.

...and it gets dirty from dirt coming off of the slideout topper? I'm having trouble imagining how that happens! The slide topper rolls at the outside edge of the slide, and anything on top of it should just fall over the edge. So, dirt on top of the slide itself gets on the ceiling?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it is not cow colored (that would be different) but what does Winny call it Pleather? It is off white. When camping in areas of high humidity the underside of the cover gets wet also. When the room comes in we get small pin sized black spots all over the ceiling directly over where the slide out comes in. They extend almost the full depth of the slide out and they clean off with soap and water.