Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Dinging chime in dash

What causes the occasional chime sound in the dash? It is a pleasant sounding ding-chime that occurs infrequently while at highway speed-60/63 (about 1-3 hours between chimes). The turn signals are not on, so that should not be the cause. All gauges show normal readings. All fluid levels are normal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What causes the occasional chime sound in the dash? It is a pleasant sounding ding-chime that occurs infrequently while at highway speed-60/63 (about 1-3 hours between chimes). The turn signals are not on, so that should not be the cause. All gauges show normal readings. All fluid levels are normal.
When that happens to me, I get my jack panel. Sometimes one of my jacks might get bumped down and an alarm will sound. Sounds like a ding.

I turn the panel "ON" and just push on the store button. The ding goes away immediately.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I will second jacks. There are other things but Jacks.. POWER GEAR the jacks down alarm is operated by a level sensor.. If its right on the edge, then going down teh highway it can drop to "DOWN" ding a time or 3, and pop back up.. Some other level sensors can as well (Coolant level, brake fluid, oil if equipped).
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would agree that the sound is most likely the jacks down alarm. As mentioned earlier if this is the problem the best cure is to turn the panel on and hit the store button. All the jacks should return to the stored position and the alarm should stop.

Once the jacks are stored don't turn the system to the off position, just let it go to sleep. If you turn off the system the solenoids will close trapping any oil trying to return to the reservoir in the lines and jacks. If there are any lines that run close to a heat source (engine block, exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, etc.) the oil will warm and expand. If it can't return to the reservoir it will push a jack down slightly and sound the alarm. A jack only needs to be extended about 1/8" to sound the alarm.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A high or low alternator voltage will also sound an alarm. Some coaches have a sensor on the steps and tv antenna. If the antenna or steps are bouncing that will also sound an alarm.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try to remember them. I've been considering replacing the HWH retract springs anyway, only one has the new-type springs with tapered ends. I'll check the oil level again too. The chime is not like the jacks down alarm, which is a harsh loud dinigng. The TV antenna doesn't have a sound, only a light on the dash. The Kwikee step does not have an alarm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our jacks will chime every time after driving a ways unless we press "store" on the panel. We often forget after getting fuel to press "store" again but it reminds us. nothing wrong with it, just the way it works. Temperature changes can make the jack move down a tad and do it too. Just always run with the "store" light on.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
KJD
Winnebago Camper

How do you guys turn your jacks on while driving down the road ? On mine I have to have the emergency brake set for the on button to turn on to hit store .
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine allows the store button while driving.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

kjd what kind of leveling system do you have? all hwh systems on winnebagos allow the store button to operate without setting the brake. alpine built some coaches that you had to do that, but not winnebago. there is a chip on the 610 control box pc board that controls that function. maybe the control box has a problem.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
kjd what kind of leveling system do you have? all hwh systems on winnebagos allow the store button to operate without setting the brake. alpine built some coaches that you had to do that, but not winnebago. there is a chip on the 610 control box pc board that controls that function. maybe the control box has a problem.
I have the HWH system in my Coach. I bought it new in 2005 and it has been that way all this time. Now you have me wondering if something might be wrong with mine now.......... But on mine if I do not have the emergency brake set The HWH System will not even turn on..............KJD
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

while its true that you have to set the park brake to get the pump to run, the system will turn on and the retract function will work without the park brake.
its the only function that works that way.
turn the key on, do not set the park brake, turn the hwh system on, and touch the store button. the jacks are designed to retract at that point. try it. dont just assume that it doesnt work.
thats the way your system is designed. if it doesnt work, something is wrong with your control box. if it doesnt work, please contact me. i can help.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The chime sound is a single sound/ding, never multiples. As I said, it is a pleasant chime sound, nothing like the harsh, loud, jacks down alarm-which also turns on a dash light. I've got to look into the low alternator output causing a chime sound when our weather allows me to open up the RV garage so I may run the engine(right now we have ice under snow, which is still falling).
This weather, man-wish we'd stayed in Key West another month.

Tags
dash