Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well, I tried to use my inverter today to run the TV while running on
batteries, and got the error message "Inverter Overload". Got to my
destination and plugged into shore power, the inverter briefly hissed
and smoked (got that burned electrical smell briefly). I appear to be
OK running on shore power, all the AC and DC circuits seem to be
working. Not sure if I'm recharging the batteries or not (I'll have
to watch the house battery voltage and see if it goes down over the
next hour or so. It shouldn't be a battery issue, just replaced all
three of the house batteries a few months back.

My questions are:
Anybody else have this problem with a Dimensions Standby Power System
model #WIN-12X20B3RT?

If so, is it something that can be repaired or do I need to replace
the whole unit?

Where can I get it repaired or purchase a replacement?

If replacement, are there better units/manufacturers that I should
consider or just replace with the same one?

All help/comments/advice appreciated.

Tony
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
w/Harley Softail Towed
Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well, I tried to use my inverter today to run the TV while running on
batteries, and got the error message "Inverter Overload". Got to my
destination and plugged into shore power, the inverter briefly hissed
and smoked (got that burned electrical smell briefly). I appear to be
OK running on shore power, all the AC and DC circuits seem to be
working. Not sure if I'm recharging the batteries or not (I'll have
to watch the house battery voltage and see if it goes down over the
next hour or so. It shouldn't be a battery issue, just replaced all
three of the house batteries a few months back.

My questions are:
Anybody else have this problem with a Dimensions Standby Power System
model #WIN-12X20B3RT?

If so, is it something that can be repaired or do I need to replace
the whole unit?

Where can I get it repaired or purchase a replacement?

If replacement, are there better units/manufacturers that I should
consider or just replace with the same one?

All help/comments/advice appreciated.

Tony
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
w/Harley Softail Towed
Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tony, count your blessings. The dimensions inverter is a modified sine wave device, much disliked by many on this forum. Do as many of us have done, and replace the beast with an Xantrex RS2000 inverter. You will be happy, and your tvs and microwave will be much happier.

Search on this entire forum (not just Winnebago) and see what has been done regarding this replacement. I replaced mine this spring after the dimensions unit crisped my tv and also would not properly charge the house batteries.

By the way, we have a 2004 36 ft. Journey, close relative to the Meridian.

Wendell
Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have a Demented inverter, after it fried our batteries and a micro,conv,we sent it back and had it rebuilt. If we have further problems we will replace it with a good unit.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

They will not send out schematics to have it repaired,you can only have them rebuilt by the factory at about $461.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ironically, this same thing happened to me this past weekend too. I have a 2004 Journey 32T and travel by myself to dog shows. On Friday morning at about 4:00 a.m. I realized there was a burning smell in my bedroom. After checking everything out, I realised it was my invertor going bad. I had the same "Overload" message on my panel. Thankfully a friend was camping next door to me and he by-passed the invertor so that I could have some electricity (we flipped the breaker on the invertor so I wouldn't have a fire or so the batteries wouldn't burn up.)

I contacted Dimensions and they have a flat rate to re-build the 2000 Invertors for $471.00. If you call the company they will give you a MMA number for the return. That said, I'm considering whether I can put in something else instead. Dimensions obviously knows there is a problem with these invertors.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bonnie:

I have dealt with Dimension technical people. They have always tried to help me by sending new display control panels to aid with my problems. They also stated to me that their units are extremely reliable, causing virtually no problems.

When our Journey was new, the inverter caused my three trojan batteries to fry (run dry) and caused them to be totally damaged; the dealer replaced the inverter and three batteries of less than "Trojan" quality. About a year later, the inverter/charger would switch from charge to invert cycling every two or so seconds, while AC was applied to the inverter by generator. (Subsequent checks by an Onan service center found no problem with the generator, so that problem was unresolved. After another year, the charger got to where it would not sufficiently charge the house batteries. A few days later while in inverter mode, our AC TV burned out (we needed to change to an LCD digital anyway). I now have a Dimensions inverter with two control panels which I will give to anyone who will come by an pick it up. Otherwise I will have to drag it to a waste disposal facility. I would not wish this thing on anyone. The only things I used from the Dimensions unit were the aluminum terminals to connect the DC cables to the new RS2000 charger/inverter.

While on that subject, the RS2000, while it seemingly does everything correctly, will not report the charge mode properly (float, bulk, absorption) on the panel. After running down the batteries in invert mode and returning to charge mode, the panel always indicates "float" even though it indicates a current flow of 60 - 80 amps. Further observation indicates that the rate of current flow tapers down over time until rate indicates 1 amp, essentially "float" mode. So I believe that the charger operation is correct, even though the panel indication does not show it. The Xantrex technician was not forthcoming about this discrepancy. Other than that, I have no reason to be displeased with the RS2000 unit.

Wendell
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Small world! We just replaced our Dimensions with another Dimensions. Apparently, a power dip fried the 12V circuits in the unit. It would no longer charge the batteries or work in inverter mode. Dimensions offered to rebuild it for $700 (I notice they quoted a much cheaper price in the posting above!) but wouldn't warranty the work. The new unit was about $1700 with NC sales tax and shipping. It comes with a 3-year warranty.

They modified the interior control panel since our 2005 model. New one looks identical.

If we were electronic nuts or had LCD TVs, we would have gone with Xantrex. We're pleased with the Dimensions performance. We learned our lesson and now have protection at the RV park utility post.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

$1,521.00
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I talked to the Dimensions folks awhile back about the 4 position switch on the side of the unit, and what it really did.

During the conversation (really nice guy) I mentioned that I see posts in this forum about their 2K inverter burning up batteries, etc. He kinda sighed and said that they really couldn't explain the problem because they have thousands and thousands of these units out there in 1st responder vehicles, etc., and that the problems mostly show up in Winne products; specifically Diesels. His guess was the fact that the batteries are essentially next to the engine, and some of these failures may be helped by heat from the engine (there is another thread running around here with several noting that their inner batteries take considerably more water than the rest).

I didn't ask if the Xantrex had similar failures because there are very few in the exact same service and probably no data.

(edit incomplete sentence)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Unless there is a good reason to replace the Dimensions (you need pure sine wave, or yours has gone to inverter heaven), I would keep it until you meet one of those two conditions.

Of course I almost immediately replaced my new Dimensions with a Xantrex RS2000, but that's just me

There is no way I would spend a few hundred dollars to have a Dimensions unit rebuilt. For about 1200 bucks you can have an RS2000. My RS2000 weighs about twice what the Dimension 2000 watt unit weighed.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Maybe we need to put a heat shield for deflection up on the inside of the batteries.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We just came home a day early from a month's trip in WV due to what I think was/is probably an inverter failure. Of course a Dimension.

I notice the lights were getting dim and went to check the panel. No lights on the inverter panel and voltage was down to 11.5 volts. Started the gen and still dim lights. I was hooked up to shore power with a surge protector.

When I turned off the inverter circuit breaker and reset it I could heat the inverter click 3-4 times then nothing.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

AA4WP...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While on that subject, the RS2000, while it seemingly does everything correctly, will not report the charge mode properly (float, bulk, absorption) on the panel. After running down the batteries in invert mode and returning to charge mode, the panel always indicates "float" even though it indicates a current flow of 60 - 80 amps. Further observation indicates that the rate of current flow tapers down over time until rate indicates 1 amp, essentially "float" mode. So I believe that the charger operation is correct, even though the panel indication does not show it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problems here on our RS2000 like you describe. System Control Panel is correct. When you think the charger is in bulk or absorption, what does the front panel lights on the unit itself say? Are they correct?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

NoMoreAZ: Well, that is an interesting point. I never thought to look there (as there are no such indicators on the Dimensions unit, I never considered the lights on the Xantrex) and next time I get out to look at the systems in the MH, I'll see what happens. My conjecture is that the panel won't indicate charge mode IF the system is set to anything other than default. Other things have come up.

I suppose I don't like the idea of transients being generated by the switching of transistors when the square waves (modified) are created as in the Dimensions unit. Probably the Xantrex unit has a massive toroidal coil setup to "soften" the effect of the switching, resulting in the more sine wave effect. Again, purely conjectural, since I really don't know what is inside the Xantrex unit. Only based on what I have read when trying to learn enough to gain a ham license.

Anyway, it's getting too expensive to play with MHs these days.

Wendell
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

NOT A FAN. Back in April I sent my unit in for repairs ($461). I got it back just a few days later and "bam!" it didnt work. I sent it back and they stated the unit was faulty so they sent it back "repaired". Guess what, it didnt work either. They did ship me a new unit at no charge, but "bam!" again. That unit didnt work either. To make a long story short, I finally received a unit that worked last week. Whew! If this one goes bad, Ill find the nearest Xantex dealer. This has been the only issue Ive had with my Journey. maybe I should consider myself lucky.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, I'm sensing a trend here. Plan now is that I have attached an outboard battery charger to keep me topped off (went from 11.9V to a little over 13 in the last couple hours). When I get home I'll pull out the Dimensions and see if I can fix it (fairly electronically inclined). If not, a Zantrex RS2000 is in my future. I appreciate the help! - Tony
Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NoMoreAZ:
AA4WP...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While on that subject, the RS2000, while it seemingly does everything correctly, will not report the charge mode properly (float, bulk, absorption) on the panel. After running down the batteries in invert mode and returning to charge mode, the panel always indicates "float" even though it indicates a current flow of 60 - 80 amps. Further observation indicates that the rate of current flow tapers down over time until rate indicates 1 amp, essentially "float" mode. So I believe that the charger operation is correct, even though the panel indication does not show it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problems here on our RS2000 like you describe. System Control Panel is correct. When you think the charger is in bulk or absorption, what does the front panel lights on the unit itself say? Are they correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm - I have also had problems with the RS2000 reporting the wrong battery charge state. In fact the auto gen start has started the genny when it thought the batteries were low (DcVoltLow trigger.) I've had this issue on *two* different RS2000 units (the first unit developed noisy fans.) Xantrex sent me a dongle (hardware to interface a laptop with the Xantrex bus) to upload the latest software for the control panel and AGS which I did - but that didn't fix the problem.

The charge state reporting problem doesn't seem to be a big deal except when my genny starts unexpectedly

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
We just came home a day early from a month's trip in WV due to what I think was/is probably an inverter failure. Of course a Dimension.

I notice the lights were getting dim and went to check the panel. No lights on the inverter panel and voltage was down to 11.5 volts. Started the gen and still dim lights. I was hooked up to shore power with a surge protector.

When I turned off the inverter circuit breaker and reset it I could heat the inverter click 3-4 times then nothing.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug & Cassi: this is EXACTLY what happened to us when we realized the Dimensions unit had failed. Wasn't charging the batteries, dim 12V lights, and the clicking noice when trying to engage the inverter.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield

Hmmm - I have also had problems with the RS2000 reporting the wrong battery charge state. In fact the auto gen start has started the genny when it thought the batteries were low (DcVoltLow trigger.) I've had this issue on *two* different RS2000 units (the first unit developed noisy fans.) Xantrex sent me a dongle (hardware to interface a laptop with the Xantrex bus) to upload the latest software for the control panel and AGS which I did - but that didn't fix the problem.

The charge state reporting problem doesn't seem to be a big deal except when my genny starts unexpectedly
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John... What is the software level of your SCP so I can compare to mine?

Any possibility that there is noise on the CAT5 cable due to the cable itself or what the cable is near?

Do we need to start another thread for this to not bother the Dimensions folks with any more problems?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote