Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I am the member whose Dimensions inverter Darryl took out last weekend. I had written about my inverter failure the first of November. The message on the panel when it went bad was "Inverter overload".

After much reading of this forum and hand wringing over the expense of a new inverter, Darryl and I decided that we would try a rebuilt Dimensions inverter (since we really don't know how much longer I'll keep this coach anyway)rather than the Xantrex. We'll see how that decision works for me.

I am wondering from Beabop and Mark293 how long it took to get your rebuilt inverters back from Dimensions?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

I had a Surge-guard connected when the problem occured. Since I wasn't there at the time, I have no idea if there was any noise or smoke at the time. Wondering if that was the problem initially...
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

It took less than 2 weeks to get our Demented inverter back. That was a year and 8 months ago.
So far it has worked. We also had a surge protector so it was an internal problem with their inverter. If we notice anything with this one it will go .
Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Party Barge:
... At about 7am we heard a click/pop noise in the bedroom, and then a elect burn smell. I ran out and opened the elect. compartment and got a puff of light smoke and then shut off the 50 amp breaker.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could have been the MOVs (metal oxide varistor) blowing in the surge protector. MOVs have the duty of clamping any voltage spikes in surge protectors. Could have been a problem with the MOV themselves, or they were doing their job and sacrificed themselves to protect your line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, to your knowledge does the surge-guard still work once the MOV's blow?

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Party Barge
I have 540 watts of solar on the roof and have experimented with running on inverter with the refer on AC. So far OK, but after the incident with the elect smell. the Microwave which is on the inverter circuit was making noises?? After opening and closing the door the noise stopped, but re-acurred again. I swiched the inverter off for more investigation. Any suggustions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have the same make and model MH as we do so I will assume we can compare apples to apples. I also assume you have a Dimensions Inverter. Your microwave makes noise when running off your inverter because it is a modified sine wave inverter (read noise generator, not clean power). Does your fridge operate on propane when the microwave is running off the inverter? Ours did not because the AC voltage hash, and possibly RF, caused the fridge to have 'AC Relay' errors even while running on gas. Fridge on AC was ok.

Don't ever try to charge rechargeable flashlights, etc off a modified sine wave inverter.

Above verbage is one reason we now have a Xantrex RS2000. We have 400 watts of solar on roof.

If the MOVs have been 'used' they obviously should be replaced but the remainder of your monitor system should operate.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, NoMoreAZ,
The noise from my micowave was making noise when it was not running, just pluged into the inverter curcit. if I remember it seemed that the intertior light was flictering as well.

As for the refer it seemed to work ok on the inverter, I was just concerned about the amp. draw. The panel showed the inverter running at 500 watts., which should work fine on sunny days.

I'm considering an inverter change out. It. was blowen on delivery and the tv, back up cam. system, and I think some other elect. equipt. failed and were covered in warrentees.

On another issue, how does your unit handle the heat and grades? Ours is iffy once the temps reach the 100,s and even on steep pulls in the high 80's.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Party Barge..
On another issue, how does your unit handle the heat and grades? Ours is iffy once the temps reach the 100,s and even on steep pulls in the high 80's.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry for the delay in answering, had to restring a day-nite shade.

Rig seems fine, moves fine. There has only been two instances, I think, of the engine temp gauge reading hot enough to turn on the digital version on the Freightliner message panel. I try to keep the RPM as close to 2K as possible when climbing grades, which usually means downshifting to 4th early enough. I can climb through Lookout Pass on I-90 at the MT - ID border during the summer, temp in the mid to upper 80s, no problem. Same is true going over MacDonald Pass on US-12, The Continental Divide, going to or coming from Helena MT. Higher engine temp was in Oregon, climbing on US-97, with air temp in upper 90s, but once level, engine temp cam right back down.

I catch up to trucks and gas machines (read Adventurer and the like) on the way up, but trucks pass me on the way down 'cause I use the compression brake a lot.

I stay out of the Southwest in the summer! Who cares if it's a Dry Heat!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #48
Old Bluesman

While this thread seems to be old, the problem is not. We bought our '04 Journey 36H about three months ago after evacuating from the California fire and losing our '90 Airex. Our Journey has only 20,000 miles on it!

Last night the AC shore power evidently lost one leg and nearly fried the Microwave. What it did do is take out the charging circuit on the Dimensions WIN-12X20B3RT. I am thankful for this thread! Wife just picked up a battery charger to keep us going until I buy a non-Dimensions replacement.
RGblues is offline   Reply With Quote