Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Diesel Reg. Maintance

As I am going to be the new owner of a 2007 Meridian, I have a large learning curve to work with. I have done the oil change, air filter change, grease the zerks that kind of stuff on gas MH. The diesel is another animal all together.

How many of you do your own oil change, grease, filters etc. ? And those who do is it fairly similar to the gas MH?
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did all matiance on ours oil, filters, grease etc. pretty easy other than 5 gallons of oil to dispose of ,plenty of room to crawl around ,check owners manuel for grease zerks and it takes 2 kinds of grease ,also pre fill fuel filters before re installing if you can do a gas you can do a diesel check for transyd in transmission my oil dip stick reads at the add line with 19 quarts that where I run it. 2005 Itasca meridian Cat c7
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
aa1ssradio

Nice to have a fumoto valve on the oil pan so you can open it and fill a gallon milk jug with oil . . . close it . . . get another jug . . . do it again.

I would also change the desiccant filter for the air system as that is usually overlooked and who knows when or if it was done.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's just no fun doing that work. RV'ing is suppose to be fun. Hire someone to do it. $250 is all it typically costs. Diesel truck shops will do it without trying too much funny tack on business. There is a chain of oil change businesses that are set up for trucks that will do it less expensively...but I don't recall their name.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Jim some of just like to get greasy and filthy.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When we had a DP we often used Speedco on the road. Some shops were better than others but they even let you watch the torque when they reinstalled the drain plug. If we were near Tiffin in Red Bay we used well known service shop there to do everything at one time for the big hit maintenance. Oil&filter, transmission fluid, air brake dryer cartridge - all the stuff and it was in and out in an hour or so and done right.

I think Speedco is now Love's and I don't see the price list they posted a few years back for RVs. Now they say commercial truck?
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Doing General maintenance on a DP is no different than a Gas. The principals are the same. When i first got into doing work on my rig i was intimidated by it but i soon fingered out that it was not difficult. First of all, you can find video or discussion on line for just about any issue. I have done my own filter changes on motor and trans, diff fluid, front hubs. changed air bags, and new air dryer. Have adjusted the valves on my Cat 330 and inspected the turbo. Start out simple you will build confidence.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thank you all, guess its time to put the shop cloths on and get dirty. However will have a cold beer close by.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

you can dispose of oil at any facility that sells oil. EPA ruleing they have to collect waste oil.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Make sure you buy some diesel Kleen available at Wal Mart. The grey bottle for southern states in winter white bottle for the cold north. Use year round it keeps algie out of fuel tanks. Since they took Sulphur out of diesel there is nothing to kill algie. which destroys injectors & fuel system.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel