Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I took delivery of a new 03 Journey DL on Oct. 3rd., took it out for a week a put a punch list together and brought it back to the dealer to have the items repaired. One of the items on my list are dents on the side of the roof that are visible from the ground (just above where the sidewall meets the roof). Hard to believe that I didn't notice these dents until I got it home, there are six on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. The dealer told me today that it's at their body shop and they are waiting for an estimate to send to Winnebago, they claim it's a Winnebago problem and can't do a thing until they get authorization to have them fixed. They say if Winnebago doesn't approve the repairs there is nothing they can do. They say these dents may be normal, possibly where the roof structure is mounted to the sides. I'm trying to determine if this could possibly be a common problem. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

2003 Journey DL 36LG 330 Cat

2007 Honda CRV
tpsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I took delivery of a new 03 Journey DL on Oct. 3rd., took it out for a week a put a punch list together and brought it back to the dealer to have the items repaired. One of the items on my list are dents on the side of the roof that are visible from the ground (just above where the sidewall meets the roof). Hard to believe that I didn't notice these dents until I got it home, there are six on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. The dealer told me today that it's at their body shop and they are waiting for an estimate to send to Winnebago, they claim it's a Winnebago problem and can't do a thing until they get authorization to have them fixed. They say if Winnebago doesn't approve the repairs there is nothing they can do. They say these dents may be normal, possibly where the roof structure is mounted to the sides. I'm trying to determine if this could possibly be a common problem. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

2007 Honda CRV
Old 10-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

First thing I would do is look at other Journey's on the dealers lot. If its not on them I don't see how that could be considered normal.
I have found Winnebago EXCELLENT to deal with on the phone, and if I were you I would not hesitate to give them a call.
Other than these dents and your punch list, how did the Journey perform for you on her maiden voyage?

Lou & Robin Mitchell
2001 36W Itasca Sunflyer
Yellow Lab."Chloe", a Fat Cat "Grey", a Cockatiel "Pepper", and a African Grey "Newt"; they go where we go !!
FLORIDA BOOMER
Old 10-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This is my sixth Class A and first DP, I have to say I really loved the way it handled. Can't wait to get it back.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 10-24-2003, 04:34 AM   #5

We have an 03 Journey DL39QD and there are no dents in either side, and by rights there shouldn't be. That material is fiberglass, not aluminum. Something is wrong, that's not right. Make sure you call Customer Service and tell them the problem, so it can be documented from YOU as well as the dealer. Make sure you get the Customer Relation Person's name and keep records of you call and what was said. You might
also let them know, that you've stated your Porblem on IRV2 and the responses you got, are that no one has experienced this, why are you faced with this problem.

Keep us informed as to how it goes.

Tomcat F15
"Maybe ripples, but not dents."
Old 10-24-2003, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tomcat, took your advice and called Winnebago customer service this morning. They said they were contacted by the dealer yesterday and authorized them to remove the sealent at the J-channel and pull the fiberglass roof up and see if the roof was cut too long causing it to buckle along the roof line at various points. They are proceeding with this plan of action right now. Winnebago assured me that it had nothing to do with structual integrity. They seem to think once they trim the roof to the proper size, no repair will be necessary, the roof will just not buckle anymore. I'll keep the forum informed.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 10-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It appears to me that Winnie needs to address the Quality Control on its roof fabrication. First we heard some were cut too narrow and would pop out, now we hear they may be cut too wide and will pucker up the fiberglass! This does not surprise me, the J channel is only about 1/4" deep, any error in cutting the roof width could be a serious problem. Those of us with correct fitting roofs should count our blessings.....

Don Harris
Savannah, GA
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, 35C, Class A, Ford V10, 20,500 GVWR chassis.
1995 Saturn SW2 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa towing system, SMI Toad brake.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

As a follow-up, they still have my brand new coach at La Mesa RV after five weeks (I had it one week) and Winnebago's solution is to install a 9-inch strip of fiberglass over the existing roof at the roof radius, with an extra J-channel on the roof. This is supposed to basically cover the dents. In my opinion their fix is unacceptable, if I accepted the coach with this fix I would be begging for future problems. I've been reading about the problems with Winnebago fiberglass roofs popping out of the J-channel when the sealant dries up. Their fix is to have two fiberglass panels tucked into the J-channel, that won't leave much room for sealant. The specs say "After tooling a MINIMUM of 6mm's of bead must be left". If they cram two fiberglass roofs into the J-channel I will only have room for about 2 mm's of bead to hold the roof in. I just got off the phone with La Mesa's customer service liaison and he's bringing in Winnebago's local Rep. All I want is what I paid for, a new rig not one that has been jerry rigged with a secondary roof that is not stable.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 11-13-2003, 10:36 AM   #9

tpsps,

Sorry to hear your having such a problem with your roof. After reading your first posting, I went and checked mine. My radius is smooth and nicely rounded. It doesn't make any sence as to how there is such a difference in yours. I've been throught the factory numerous times and watched that part of assembly. I thought the roof panels were a standard width, as Winnebago uses the same material on all their coaches. Besides that, the roof assembly is welded in a fixture and held to tight tolerances. It just doesn't make sence.

Just for the record, who have you been talking to a Winnebago, and who suggested the fix you mentioned?

Tomcat F15
Old 11-13-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

tpsps, What about the roof on the other side is it too short in the J channel, was the roof panel not centered on the top of the motorhome when it was installed causing this problem? How will your roof look with the patch on one side and not the other and will this patch be a maintainance issue? Just thought I would ask.
Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The Winnebago rep that La Mesa is getting involved is Dick Higdon out here on the west coast. Does anyone know of an email address or contact with Owners Relations that I could send an email to, I would like to have this documented at the factory.

PS; to Bob, they plan on putting the 9-inch fiberglass strip on both sides of the roof radius and yes I do think it will cause future maintenence issues because the J-channel wont have enough room for sealent if they put to layers of fiberglass in there. Thanks.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 01-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

La Mesa RV took a total of 90 days to correct my punch list. This was spread out over 4 visits. They seem to have a problem with taking care of the customer "after" you take your new coach off the lot. I spoke with the customer service people at Winnebago about the poor service I was given and Winnebago extended my warrenty to allow for the 90 days. That was the best I could get. Better then nothing.
Trevs push-her is offline   Reply With Quote