Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our 2003 Journey windsheild is delaminating on the lower right drivers side. (All windsheilds are 2 pieces of glass with plastic between the two pieces). It appears water is 'wicking' between the two pieces of glass causing that corner of the windsheild to turn cloudy. The cloudy part (half moon shape)is growing about an inch a month. Called Winnebago and of course they stated '12 month warranty is up call Guardian, the glass maker. They did give me Guardians 1-800 number so I will call and see what their response is. Oh, I did get an estimate to replace the drivers side glass.....$950.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our 2003 Journey windsheild is delaminating on the lower right drivers side. (All windsheilds are 2 pieces of glass with plastic between the two pieces). It appears water is 'wicking' between the two pieces of glass causing that corner of the windsheild to turn cloudy. The cloudy part (half moon shape)is growing about an inch a month. Called Winnebago and of course they stated '12 month warranty is up call Guardian, the glass maker. They did give me Guardians 1-800 number so I will call and see what their response is. Oh, I did get an estimate to replace the drivers side glass.....$950.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow! Let us know what Guardian says about the problem. I have never ever heard about a windshield delaminating.

Welcome to the forum

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Florida Guy....keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Aboard!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Update:

Talked to Guardian this AM. He requested pictures, which I will be sending. He didn't sound promising (said it was most likely Winnebago's fault, not properly sealed) all I can do is send the pictures and see what happens. For those interested, I will keep ya'll posted. I did notice a new Country Coach at Lazy Days Super Show last month had the exact same thing happening on its windsheild. Interesting how you look for and notice similiar defects on other motorhomes. Would have never noticed the CC windsheild if ours didn't have this problem.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the update....there's a link at the top right of every page to a "photo" section here on iRV2.com.

If at all possible,I'm sure your pictures would help a lot of folks identify with this issue.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

In Florida glass damage of any kind is supposed to be covered 100% by you vehicle insurance or at least that is what I have always been told. I may have been misinformed but you may be able to get your insurance carrier to foot this one if out of warranty.

Check it out and hopefully you may have a quick and easy solution available if neither Guardian nor Winnebago will step up to the plate on this one.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Florida Guy, ask the repair people to inspect the winshield glass rubber gasket very carefully. I suspect there may be gaps or cuts in the rubber which, with the weight of the glass, caused the windshield to rest upon steel structure in the front cap. I vaguely recall reading something like this quite awhile ago...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

For those interested, I posted the pictures of my windsheild that I sent to Guardian Glass. There are in the Photo section under Florida Guy. (Don't know how to post the pictures in the Forum section). I will keep ya'll posted when I get a response from guardian. Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions. Isn't owning a motorhome fun?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hard to tell but is the windsheild resting directly on the steel frame in the second photo? Looks like rust in that area. Would think it would need to be resting on either a rubber gasket or sealant.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,

It appears the windsheild is resting the metal bracket. Yes the bracket has some rust on it but the picture makes it looks worse than it is. Really surface rust. Haven't heard from Guardian yet. Sent the pictures yesterday.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Guardian sent me an E-Mail. Final answer:

Sorry Larry, we can't help since its over warranty. Looks Like water is getting to the glass some how, because that's why it 's turning
milky white. We don't give credit when it turns milky white.

Guess I will live with until it gets really bad, then replace the windsheild.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Florida Guy:
Guardian sent me an E-Mail. Final answer:

Sorry Larry, we can't help since its over warranty. Looks Like water is getting to the glass some how, because that's why it 's turning
milky white. We don't give credit when it turns milky white.

Guess I will live with until it gets really bad, then replace the windsheild. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

You may not have to dedending on your insurance carrier. Obstructed vision windsheilds are supposedly a mandatory free replacement with no deductable in Florida. Check with your insurance carrier they may just cover it 100% for you.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Larry
I just replaced my driver windshield on my 2003 Journey. I ordered the windshield from Lichtsinn and it was about $260 plus $100 shipping. The installation was about $300 (which I think was a little pricey). It was out of pocket for me because a have $1000 deductible on comp.
Roy