Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dead Microwave

We have an '01 Journey and our microwave just died. Has anyone replaced one and if so, what did you buy to replace it? It is a Sharp Carousel Convection oven.

This just happened so I have not taken the old one out but I'm not sure where to begin so if you know where to begin in the removal I would appreciate your guidance.

Nick
Journey '01
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Most microwaves have a fuse inside of the main housing so take out the mic. and check the fuse before you junk it. May be a cheap fix.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My Sharp has two diagonal bolts that go from the bottom front of the unit to the top rear of the unit. Then the top has two bolts run down into it from the cabinet above the microwave.
To get to the top bolts I had to remove the cabinet bottom shelf which was stapled in with about 15 staples. The shelf is now attached with wood screws. I couldn't believe it.

What problem are you seeing? There is a known problem of them running 59 seconds and then stopping.

Do NOT try to remove it alone. It is very heavy and you need a helper.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Had ours replaced under warranty at CW and I think they ordered a new one from Winnebago. You probably could get one cheaper elsewhere,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Trouble shooting a dead nuker....

Step one: DO you have power to the outlet? Use a lamp, not a volt meter, or.. I have some nightlights with passthrough.. Kind of neat cause I can plug one into the outlet, then plug the Nuke-o=matic into it and if the Neon Light goes out.. Bad power to microwave)

Then remove the microwave and search for a fuse (CAUTION.. If you have to take the cover off the microwave there are SHARP edges that can slice you up fairly good.. I know a man who built his microwae from a kit and read the above warning.... a bit too late.. Thankfully he recovered with minor scars.

Removal depends on the install.. ON MY coach you pull some screws from teh trim they put around it and the microwave comes out with trim attached just like it was sitting on a shelf... Well, actually, it IS sitting on a shelf.. Some RV's you have to find mounting bolts sometimes UNDER the thing, sometimes inside the compartment.. How to do yours I can not suggest other than lay the eyes on it and figure it out. Or if parked near me I can likely see the mounts for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Everything works except it won't heat. The timer works, the turntable rotates, etc., but no heating. It did give off an odor as if something burned so I unplugged the unit.

Nick
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Nick,

I had a similar problem with a microwave in my house. Turned out to simply be a loose wire connection behind the control panel. Tech found it and put a new tighter wire connector on the end of the wire and stuck it back on. Might have worked loose due to vibration of the turntable. In your case, possibly vibration from going down the road etc. Worth checking out before replacing.

Good luck!

John
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The Sharp Carousel Grill 2 model 820 -BK-F in mine (I think the BK stands for black and WT would be for white) was not designed for cabinet installation and came with a "build in kit" that consists of additional sheet metal on the top and bottom.
It redirects the fan air flow so that room air is sucked in from the front and hot air blows back out of the front.
If you have the model and replace the unit with the same model you will need to reuse the kit sheet metal.
When mine died a few years ago I couldn't find a unit designed to be built in that would fit the space available so I had to use another R820.

Yours may be a different model though.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sharp 1875 replace with same
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

That sounds like a sixteen dollar part.. But alas.. You need to know which part and how to replace it... (A job I've done once or twice).

I used to own a "Vintage" microwave. had to replace that part a time or two.. That microwave lasted a long, long time (like 20+ years) with a bit of tender care.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You'll find a new convection/microwave is very expensive, $1000 - $1200.

We had ours repaired by someone sent to us by A&E, a national chain, and the final cost to us was $130. In our case it took no parts, he found a wire had burned off the end of a connector (I suspect it had been poorly assembled). By looking on-line we were able to find the location of the fuse (which I was able to buy at the local Home Depot) and replace it, but it turned out that was not the problem and we called A&E after they were recommended by friends.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I am told that the matching Sharp Convection Microwave is available though special order at Home Depot for under $500 delivered to your door. This was recently posted here in another microwave thread.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I am told that the matching Sharp Convection Microwave is available though special order at Home Depot for under $500 delivered to your door. This was recently posted here in another microwave thread.
Just checked and the price was around $425 delivered for the replacement Sharp Convection Microwave using basically the same mounting plate.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
YC1
Winnebago Owner

So you let the smoke out of some components?

This manual is not great for pictures but may offer some help. I had mine down to change the vent from inside to outside. Huge difference in noise level and does not simply recirculate the stuff inside.

The holding screws were hard to locate. I think they are inside the filter area on the bottom and reaching up. It has been a couple of years and 100 mods later. There were also a couple of screws through the side of the outside skin into the cabinets added by the mfgr. Be sure to have an extra pair of hands for support. The oven had to be tilted forward and then lifted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp Insight Model R-1880L microwave.pdf (652.3 KB, 119 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Just checked and the price was around $425 delivered for the replacement Sharp Convection Microwave using basically the same mounting plate.
Do you recall the model number? Thanks.

Nick
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Do you recall the model number? Thanks.

Nick
I just checked Home Depots Web Site and they have them in White (R1871T) or Black (R1875T).

Product Comparison Page
Old 01-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, that helps a great deal.

Nick
Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Just ordered the1875T in black as it looks almost exactly like my current one. Now to figure out how to remove the old one.

Nick
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Mine is brown and the plastic parts are starting to fail and fall off it when someone slams any door within 10 feet of it. The replacement of just a few of the plastic parts when available would far exceed the cost of a new one delivered from HomeDepot. Once it gets so I can no longer glue them back on I will seriously be giving HomeDepot my consideration.

The thought of a bigger more powerfull one came to me as some others have mentioned however I have a 30 amp coach and it would be pushing things in the dog days of summer to go larger.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

If my old brain is working I'll post a note about the removal and replacement of the new unit. It won't be in for at least a week.

Mine is under a cupboard that has the Heart Interface, 12v breakers, electric hot water switch and engine heater switch. Looks like all of those will have to be removed to get to the top screws that hold the oven in place.

Not a great job for a non-handy guy like me. Will definitely need a 2nd person for the removal/installation as the unit is heavy and bulky. Wish me luck.

Nick