Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I will attempt to re-string one of my blinds tomorrow and have read the posts about de-burring the grommet holes. What tool should I use for de-burring. Any recommendations?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I will attempt to re-string one of my blinds tomorrow and have read the posts about de-burring the grommet holes. What tool should I use for de-burring. Any recommendations?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just used a larger size drill bit in my hand to get the burrs off.

Also I found on some of my blinds the nylon grommet was installed on the wrong side of the hole. It should be on the side of the bar where the cord makes a right angle turn. This way the cord turns on the grommet and not on the metal edge.

I have restrung most of my blinds now. I used builders stringline which is slightly thicker than the original but works great for me. It was available at Lowes and much cheaper and quicker to get when the blind is down.

To thread the string I took a piece of 3/4" wide Scotch tape about 1/2" long and rolled it around the end of the string which gave me a stiff end 3/4" long which threads thru the blind very easy. After the first one I can have one down and back up in about 30 mins or less.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree with what Lindsay says. It's very easy to knock the burrs off with most anything - the grommets being on the wrong side of the hole is the big problem. Even on a perfectly deburred hole, if the string makes the turn rubbing against metal instead of the nylon grommet, it's gonna wear out fast. You'll see what we mean once you get inside the thing...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think most if not all the Day/Night Shades used on the Winnie '04 model years had the grommet on the wrong side of the middle slider. We've had to restring all of ours.

I can tell you what string NOT to use -- clear monofilament 60 lb fishing line. It was easy to thread thru the holes, clear so it works with any color blind & super smooth operation. This is the cat's meow - Wrong! Problem is that the monofilament line creates too much friction for the plastic grommets and cut a slot right thru. Ours worked really nice for only about 3 months of fulltiming & then 2 blinds began failing. We also tried the thicker polyester cord from Joannes - it didn't last very long either and was a lot more difficult to thread thru the holes.

Finally we used the oem cord. We got lucky when the rv store we found had a complete repair kit - large box of cord, grommets and the needle-threading tool. Wow, did that threader tool make it quick and easy. We borrowed the box, used what we needed and returned the rest - all for no charge!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Anyone know where the OEM repair kit can be ordered?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with every blind in the coach, had to re-string them all. Every plastic insert was installed backwards and I had to de-burr every hole. What I would like to know, has Winnebago hung the installer of these plastic inserts up by the thumbs yet?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

He needs to be hung by something more sensitive than his thumbs, if you know what I mean. I got Winnebago to replace several of my blinds the first year, and believe me I took each of the new ones apart and deburred the holes before installing them. And that was lots of fun with the cord still running thru the hole and trying not to cut the cord. Wish I could have corrected the plastic inserts at that time but would have had to unstring it first. Being easy raising and lowering the blinds and not keeping the tension too tight they seem to be lasting pretty good.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Will Winnebago replace them for you at GNR? I did one and it really drove me crazy.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote