Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Day/Night shades

There has got to be a better way!

A string broke on one of our four string Day/Night shades. Fortunately we are becoming seasoned shade repair people. The last MH had one break so we bought a repair kit from RV Shade and Blind Repair It includes everything you need and a CD with pictures and instructions. Had enough parts to do the second one and had it on board.

It is time consuming but if you go slow and follow the instructions you can do it. Problem is the string needs to be tightened and it took all of one day to need to be re-tightened. A rainy day today so we don't mind except why do they had the tension adjustment behind the sofa so it is such a pain to get at? Secondly isn't there a better design than strings in a pleated shade? They don't rattle like Venetian type blinds do when down and in motion. That part is good.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I found my better way. I replaced all my broken day/night shades with old fashion roller pull down shades.

We have tinted windows and outside awnings which contributed to our decision. This configuration results in less need for a 'day' shade.

The roller shades are much more durable than the fabric in the day/night shade, fold (roll) completely out of the way, and block all light when needed.

Just our preference.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We replaced the 'sting' with fishing line on several shades in our previous RV. Use a fairly heavy weight line and it should last forever.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a pic of the roller shade and maybe a pointer for them?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I can post pictures next week. Every Lowes and Home Depot has them.

They're the old fashioned shade. Vinyl on a cardboard roller. Pull down, they stop. Pull down a little bit more and let go and the roll up.

Here's a link to the ones at Home Depot:
designview Cut-to-size 37.25 In. x 78 In. White 6 Mil Room Darkening Vinyl Roller Shades - 37-3010-01 at The Home Depot

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The better mousetrap, IMO, are the MCD shades. They come in either solo (room darkening) or duo (day/night). Many of the coach manufacturers, including Winnebago, are now putting them in their new coaches.

We tired of fooling with the pleated day/night shades and got the MCD's. They are very nice and no strings to break.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Use 130# test dacron fishing line. It is available at Cabella's. It comes in a 500 yd. roll. This should be enough to change all your strings, and do what I did, redo a friends also. This string should last a long, long, loooooooong time.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The MCD shades look really nice. I priced them on their web site and WOW are they pricey Worth it I'm sure but way more than my first car to replace all of our shades.

The fishing line sounds like a good idea. next time one busts we will try that.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I hate the pleated day/night shades!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The better mousetrap, IMO, are the MCD shades. They come in either solo (room darkening) or duo (day/night). Many of the coach manufacturers, including Winnebago, are now putting them in their new coaches.

We tired of fooling with the pleated day/night shades and got the MCD's. They are very nice and no strings to break.
We just bought them and as soon as DW gets the valences recovered will install them. Pricey but appear to be a very high quality.

We plan to drive down to TX this summer to have the factory install the motorized remote controlled ones in front of the windshield and on the cabin side windows. That requires cutting into the center and middle vertical trim pieces and is going to be a bigger job than I want to tackle.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Due to the dark tint of our windows, it might be arguable whether or not we need the day shades other than in the cockpit, but we too tossed all of our pleated day/night shades a couple of years ago for MCD shades. The day shades do keep significant heat out if you don't want to put awnings out, and you can see through them. We put manual day shades in the cockpit with power night shades connected to the switches for the OEM power sunshades (they were so small to be nearly useless).
Old 03-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have to make this decision when I get home. My largest day/night shade broke a string the first week into the winter season. I am not the kind of person that can fix this sort of thing. So if I can't find a source to do it for me. I am going with the roller blinds or some similar fix. These day/night shades are really flimsy. I don't want to put a big investment into something I use twice a day when the coach is in use.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Homer -- we had a mid-sized one re-strung by a local "blinds & shades" place for $35.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Homer -- we had a mid-sized one re-strung by a local "blinds & shades" place for $35.
Thanks for the info AFChap. I would pay that in a heart beat. I will check around home and see if I can find a place that will do it. I know there is a place about 45 miles from home that makes blinds. Never gave this a thought before.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Could someone explain the advantages of the MCD shades? From the pictures on the internet, they look like light blocking vinyl shades with a secondary shade made of mesh to filter light.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

They are a modern version of the old roller shades with a controled assent rate.

You are correct that there are two shades, one totally light blocking and one that allows light to pass like the string type day/night shades.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

With the MCD shades, for the "night" shade portion there area several materials/color shades available. The "day" portion blocks all view form outside but lets you see form inside out, and it also blocks a good bit of the heat ...I think they claim 80%? Whatever it is, they do make a big difference.

You can get them in manual versions which slowly retract after you give them a tug, or in powered models run either with a wired switch or with a remote control ...all depends on how much you want/have to spend...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

to the person who replaced with roll-ups---how did you install the roll up holders..did you have to take the valance off so you could get to the window sills?

thanks
firesafety55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The MCD shades are "roll-ups" ...the instructions say you can install them w/o removing the valences as all you have to do is attach a bracket near each end. After trying one, I decided removing the valence was easier as then I wasn't working upside down in a tight space. Most valences are not difficult to remove once you get the oem day/night shade down.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

The first two that I replaced the day/night pleated with the rollups, I did on my back and a screw driver and installed the brackets into the top of the valence.

The last 2 I did, I took the valences off and installed the brackets on the valence while it was on the table. MUCH MUCH easier.

The valences in my Ultimate are only held on by 6 screws.