Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I restrung 2 day-night shades yesterday and 3 total on this coach. I am getting better at it, but taking the valences down and putting them back on is the hardest part of the job. No need to buy a kit, just get some good replacement cord or monofilament.
I am interested in the MCD shades. Can anyone who has them tell me if they have any tendency to curl at the edges? That is one issue I have had with ordinary shades.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Another vote for MCD shades. Had them in my Vectra from day one. They're a year old now - zero problems, work and look great. Worth every penny.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
MCD shades. Can anyone who has them tell me if they have any tendency to curl at the edges?
We've had ours for a little over 18 months now, running them up and down nearly every day as fulltimers. I haven't noticed any edge curling on ours. They all still work great, and look as good a new.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

i'm starting to feel real good reading all the posts on the mcd's as we are having the full deal done tomorow at 8:30am at classic coach in lakeland. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
DW and I just replaced the cords on a third shade system in our MH. A crude analysis as to why the cords become frayed and then break seems to be due to burrs around the holes in the center metal bar (between the dark and light shade). It appears that the manufacturer of our shades neglected to de-burr the holes or put "shade cord guides" in those holes. Whether you do the job yourself or have it done, be sure that you have the burrs removed and the plastic guides put in all holes that the cords run through. Oh, yes, DW and I are still speaking to each other.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Tow
The migration North from here in Mesa, AZ, seems to have begun!
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Day/Night Shades

After 33 years of RVing we've subscribed to the remedy of replacing all the Day/Nights as soon as the first string breaks. The replacements are cloth curtains which are able to slide either way on the rod. This allows the slider window to be opened and the curtain is opened equally. We simply make the curtains out of whatever fabric we like from Wal-Mart etc.
Steve

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncircles View Post
A crude analysis as to why the cords become frayed and then break seems to be due to burrs around the holes in the center metal bar (between the dark and light shade). It appears that the manufacturer of our shades neglected to de-burr the holes or put "shade cord guides" in those holes. Whether you do the job yourself or have it done, be sure that you have the burrs removed and the plastic guides put in all holes that the cords run through.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Tow
The migration North from here in Mesa, AZ, seems to have begun!
I agree. On both sets we have done I filed/sanded the burrs off and noticed a fair amount of dust from the strings wearing there.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

It has been noted in past posts that it is also very important to have the plastic guides placed in the proper position. The guide is shaped somewhat like a "top hat" that is also open at the top. It must be placed in the holes in each rail so that when the string makes a 90 degree turn it is protected from the metal rail by the curve of the "brim" of the hat. I have restrung 7 of 8 shades in our RV and in every one the guides were in the wrong postion.