Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Day/Night Shades

Looking at a Vista and we noticed it only had a night shade in the bedroom.... salesman said that it is standard in the bedroom to only have a night shade. Just wanting a conformation on that from an owner. Seems strange not to have the day shade...there is room for it but it's not there. Just wanting to make sure from someone else other than just taking a salesmans word.

Thanks
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My 2013 Vista 27N also has only the night shade in the bedroom. I questioned the dealer because the brochure says "Day and Night shades." They told me same thing, only night in bedroom. I saw a post here from another owner who said he ordered the "day" portion from MD and it was an easy install. I think I'll be doing that this year.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I'd bet there's a couple of reasons for not having a dual "day-night" shade in the bedroom. One, COST, and two, maybe they (the manufacturer) doesn't think that there's not that much time spent in the bedroom to warrant the added cost and labor to install the dual shade, because maybe they figure that the "day" section might not be used all that much, heck, I don't know, just speculating here.

Our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT has them all over the place with the exception of the kitchen window and, the bathroom window, both of which are really small windows. So, again, who knows why they did what they did.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 2012 has day & night on all windows except windshield. Must have been a change in 2013 +. Or a change to interior upgrade packages.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our 2011 View had day and night shades in the bedroom. Our 2015 has only the night shade. Cost cutting?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our 26 HE came with only a night shade. Part of the agreement to buy was the installation of day/night shades in windows. If your interested then get such items in the agreement.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

our 2014 Solei 34T had night shades standard and day/nights optional. But kitchen and windshield were only day shades.
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Day Night Shades

This is how little I know about our "new to us" 2006 Winnebago Outlook ... how do I know if we have day/night shades? All of the shades appear to be the same but light does filter through the bedroom shade. Is there another part of it tucked away somewhere that I don't know about? LOL ;-)
swasson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swasson48 View Post
This is how little I know about our "new to us" 2006 Winnebago Outlook ... how do I know if we have day/night shades? All of the shades appear to be the same but light does filter through the bedroom shade. Is there another part of it tucked away somewhere that I don't know about? LOL ;-)
swasson48,
A "Day-night" shade, will be typically pleated, and, it will have two "handles" or, "bars" for extending or, retracting two different sections of the shade. It's all basically one shade but, it's in two sections. The "day" part is the first section, and, can be seen through but, it's like looking through fog. The night section, is the section above the day section and, like stated, has it's own handle/bar to pull it down. They both operate on the same strings.

But, when you pull the second section down, the "night" shades, you cannot see through them. Most of the time, they're not as good or, sealing on the sides etc. as "room darkening" shades but, they do their job well enough.

But, if you have "pleated" shades, (horizontal pleats that is) that doesn't necessarily mean you have "day-night" shades but, on the other hand, if you do, then the second bar, is tucked up, under the window valance. Hope this might help some. Good luck.
Scott
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
swasson48,
A "Day-night" shade, will be typically pleated, and, it will have two "handles" or, "bars" for extending or, retracting two different sections of the shade. It's all basically one shade but, it's in two sections. The "day" part is the first section, and, can be seen through but, it's like looking through fog. The night section, is the section above the day section and, like stated, has it's own handle/bar to pull it down. They both operate on the same strings.

But, when you pull the second section down, the "night" shades, you cannot see through them. Most of the time, they're not as good or, sealing on the sides etc. as "room darkening" shades but, they do their job well enough.

But, if you have "pleated" shades, (horizontal pleats that is) that doesn't necessarily mean you have "day-night" shades but, on the other hand, if you do, then the second bar, is tucked up, under the window valance. Hope this might help some. Good luck.
Scott
Excellent, well-written description.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you... I'll know what to look for now!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Well, that kinda stinks ... just checked our Outlook and even the bedroom appears to just have day shades. Wonder where I would find/order day/night shades for a 2006 Winnebago Outlook?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swasson48 View Post
Well, that kinda stinks ... just checked our Outlook and even the bedroom appears to just have day shades. Wonder where I would find/order day/night shades for a 2006 Winnebago Outlook?
swasson48,
While the Day/night shades are common and, for the most part, work fairly well, if I had to do it over again, I'd opt for the MCD shades. The day/night shades, while have a good operating principle, are sometimes known for their share of problems. And those are when a string breaks. You see, you might have as many as 4 strings or more in your setup (depending on window width and size) and, if you break just one, that shade is kaput. And, as many of us know, re-stringing a day night is not the most fun thing to do, at home or, on the road.

I've done it to about 95% of my windows. And, it's all been done at home where conditions allow for patience to prevail. Day/night shades depend strictly on "Friction" between all the pivot points of the strings. The tighter the friction, the harder it is to move the shades up and down, both the day and the night sections.

If you loosen the tension on the tensioners too much, the shades become too sloppy and, in many cases, will not hold themselves at the level you left them at or, as you raise one, the other comes down. There is a happy medium. But, in some cases, even the swinging temps of daytime and night time will have effects on day/night shades and their ability to operate correctly.

The MCD ones are totally different design. There's actually two roller shades, very close together at the top of the valance. You pull on one and, it's the day shade, then, you pull on the other one and it's the night shade. And, while I don't have them personally, I understand that the night ones are considerably more effective at darkening a room than the Night ones in Day/Night shades. Someday I'll change over.

You can get mechanized MCD shades where you use a remote control and they come down and go up electronically or, you can have the old "Manual" ones. Those are the one's I'd get. But, I'd look into the MCD ones if I were you. What have you got to loose by just checking options? Good luck.
Scott
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Our 2013 Sunstar 26HE only came with night shades. Instead of having day shades installed, we decided to have the windows tinted with a lifetime guarantee.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone. We bought the Vista 36y and we are going to tint the bedroom window and both the driver and passenger windows as well. That should do the trick and maybe ad a few small tabs of velcro to the night shade if we have too much morning light seeping in. Won't know till we use it but that's the plan at this point.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
Thanks everyone. We bought the Vista 36y and we are going to tint the bedroom window and both the driver and passenger windows as well. That should do the trick and maybe ad a few small tabs of velcro to the night shade if we have too much morning light seeping in. Won't know till we use it but that's the plan at this point.
Make sure you do your research on tint. There are various grades of tint, some more durable and UV efficient than others. I had Llumar ATC 15% tint installed. If I had to do it again, I would probably go a little darker.

Good luck
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote