Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thudman- I just went out to the RV to retrieve my blinds folder and found that I actually went up TWO sizes when restringing my blinds. The original string was the skinny 0.9 mm size. I opted to skip the 1.2 mm size and went to the 1.4 mm size( approx.0.055 inches) realizing that two strings would not go thru the approx .090 ID grommets. Easy solution-I simply removed those grommets and deburred the holes. As I said previously the strings have no obvious wear after two years.
A 300 foot roll of the 1.4 mm string costs about $30. To give you an idea of how much string is required my notes say the long blinds behind the sofa and dinette each require two(2) 22 foot strings. The blind behind the recliner chair required two(2) 16 foot strings. The dining room table works great for this operation.
NASAGuy in Florida
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

NASA:

Thx for the great info. I'll see how my monofilament holds up. I prefer not to remove the grommets, but I'll wait 'n see. I used the bed to work on mine. I have two more shades in my storage shed to practice on. Ugh!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

NASA:

Just noticed that the long shades (my Fwd Slide) cords are single cords, whereas the other shorter shades have double cords that run thru the grommets. So it seems that a heavier (single) cord (ie, 1.4 MM) could be used on the longer shades and will easily fit the grommet holes. Agree?

The FixMyBlinds site says standard RV cord is 1.2 MM.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thudman-you are correct. I removed a total of about 14 grommets from the smaller blinds. I did not remove any grommets from the large blinds. I know removing some grommets totally may seem a radical thing to do but after two years I have not noticed any adverse effects from doing so. After viewing the string samples that fixmyblinds sent me I made the decision to use the 1.4 mm string. 1.4 mm string is about 40% larger in cross-sectional area than 1.2 mm string and almost 250% larger in cross-sectional area than the original 0.9 mm string.

NASAGuy
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I also requested string samples from fixmyblinds, and await delivery. I'll probably use the 1.4mm on my spare shades.

Thudman