Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dash Heater Core Leaking

The heater core on my dash heater (2002 Itasca Horizon 36LD) started to leak. I closed the supply valves so I could drive without losing coolant. Has anyone out there done their own repairs? If so how did it go? How about having it repaired-Who and how much? I've been quoted $800 from a local radiator shop-Thanks
VCBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My '02 Journey core sprung a leak and I replaced the core myself. It is a job but can be done if you are handy with tools and not hesitant to remove the lower front cap.

Do a search on Journey heater core and you will find a lot of info, including detailed instructions on how to remove the cap. I also included some photos of the job.

This thread has the photos and a number of helpful suggestions:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/r-an...ore-29168.html
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Great job of documenting the heater core replacement
Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am facing the same problem presently. I have the parts on order and my local shop believes they can replace my core with out pulling the cap. I have my fingers crossed. I ordered the core and plastic cover from Lichtsinn Motors. They told me they stock the core due to the many failures. The plastic cover is cracked and there is a 2 week hold up on the cover. Let us know how it works out for you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hi It depends on how good of acces you have to the heater box. I just changed mine on a 95 numar spartan DP and it went pretty smooth. But I had great access to the box. Good Luck
Going2town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had a worse issue when our '86 Winnebago leaked. They could not find a replacement core so it had to be repaired in a radiator shop. All told, labor and everything it was over a thousand bucks. In hindsight I should have pulled the old core out and took it to the shop myself.

Good luck,

Folis
Folis Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey Don, hope all is well with everyone.

I had my core replaced a few months ago and they did not have to remove the front cap.

Also, a tidbit of info..... check the vacuum unit UNDER the box, mine became rusted shut and fail to work. It is hard to see because it is directly under the box. They told me you cannot just replace the vacuum unit, it comes with the box as one unit.

Might as well do the whole thing and save labor later.

My whole cost was $760.00 and got it back the next day.

Good luck to all.
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Thanks all. was able to find a core. Don
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dave;

Thanks for your advice. I had a cracked front case. It took 3 weeks to get a new one and now I find it is not the right one, The one they shipped has screw holes for securing it to the base and mine is secured by clips. Now back to the drawing board. I have had to add freon every spring to the A/C and each year a little more. I always suspected a leak in the evaporator. I had previously had dye installed in the freon. The tech found no leaks in the evaporator and has determined that the leak is in the front seal on the pump. So I will install a new a/c pump as well as the freon is pumped down now. RVing sure is fun.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
RKL
Winnebago Owner

dash heater core leaking

Petro...You can drill holes in the base cap and secure new plastic cap with plastic ties...Worked for me....RKL
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Tye wraps work, but small self taping screws with a big head will be even better As far as the ac goes, dont fix it, just stay far enough north that you don't need it (grin) If you need to save a buck I have a friend in Florida that rebilds AC compresseors.. He has been in business for years and dose a great job, no short cuts. It is Pollar bear in Fort laderdale FL Welcome To Polar Bear, Inc.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Daysu47, RKL, and Going2town;

Thanks for your replies. I just want to bring you all up to date. I have had quite a learning experience this week. As you recall my front cover was clipped on and the new cover was screwed on. You guys were correct in saying that it would have to be secured with wire ties. The new heater core shipped did not have threaded hose nipples like the old one had. They were fixed. When the shop tried to place the new core into the cover it did not fit right.

The shop called SCS Frigette the manufacture of the system. They advised that they had made changes and the new front cover would not work with the old back cover. We would have to order a new back cover. Now Listen Up, they told my tech he would have to order a whole new assembly. It now comes completely assembled with a new heater core and A/C evaporator already assembled inside. The new unit just has to be bolted to the firewall and hooked for heat and A/C. The new problem is the front cap has to be removed to accommodate installing the assembled box. My Tech called Winnebago and they walked him through the process of removing the front cap. His options are to disassemble the box assembly with out removing the front cap or removing the front cap to install the whole assembly. My Tech feels he would rather remove the cap. I may as well replace the A/C compressor and I will have a whole new heating and cooling system less the blower. Maybe I should buy a new MH?

Don
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

WOW, I guess I got lucky.

Heck, while yer in there, ya might as well replace everything, AND check everything!!

Later,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Heater Core replacement Update

Thanks for all the help. We have been waiting for a dry day to do this work and finally got it done today. The post by SLMRanger was very helpful as I found a post by BattChief on 04/09/2006 that had a great write up on doing the work. We did it a little different (we removed the front cap rather than tilt it). I can assure you that anyone with a 2002 Itasca Horizon cannot do this without removing the front cap. This made access much easier. It is a two person job to remove and replace the cap but the whole job took us less than 4 hours. Also replaced the resistor which fixed the fan speed problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quick question. How did you know your core was leaking? Is the carpet wet inside or did you notice an outside drip? Just curious so I can keep an eye on mine. Thanks.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedowney View Post
Quick question. How did you know your core was leaking? Is the carpet wet inside or did you notice an outside drip? Just curious so I can keep an eye on mine. Thanks.
I first noticed that unmistakable smell of hot antifreeze in the coach. Checked under the front of the rig and, sure enough, saw the coolant dripping on the ground.

The way the core is located in the box on the outside of the firewall, I don't think it will leak into the coach. At least I had no coolant inside.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedowney View Post
I did not smell anything because I was not using my heater during the summer. I noticed some A/F on the ground and later noticed A/F dripping on the floor mat in front of my Travel Agent. Don't ask me how it got there but it did.

Don
Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

slmranger is right on the Money. Just what happened to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I thought I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that failure was due to some type of electrolytic action that caused to core to deteriorate and a new replacement core should have a grounding strap installed. If that's true, what's your opinion on adding some type of grounding strap to my 10 year old non-leaking core? Would it do any good or will I be wasting my time since the damage has already been done?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I can only tell you my experience.

After approx. 3 years my core (the one with different metals)went out. I replaced it with same type and soon after installed a ground strap. 3 years later it went out again. Replaced it with a core with same metal and didn't bother with a ground strap.

We'll have to wait another 3 years to see.

If you feel better with a ground strap it takes only a few minutes to install however with my experience it makes no difference.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey 126,000 miles
XR-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote