Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash cam

How many of you have a dash cam in ur motor home.
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We do. Garmin.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
How are you using it?
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dashcam video is proof in the event of an accident caused by another driver who claims I am at fault. Without witnesses, it's your word against theirs. Or drivers who cut you off to exit the freeway or pass you and then brake check, or aggressive drivers who cause an accident, drunk drivers, road rage, etc.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So you have it running full time?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just picked up the Cobra CDR-840 dash cam and plan on using it full time in the RV. So far, great little cam (Tried/tested it out in the daily driver)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes I do in the RV when we are in the car I put it in there .All it is a tool to use
Old 04-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I use my GoPro Hero as dash camera. It's running whenever the coach is moving or the toad. I run mine off of a USB port that's plugged into a 12v cig. plug which also charges the GoPro battery. Runs in an endless loop through a 12 Gig micro SD card that I run on my computer.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I should have mentioned that I , too, use the GoPro Hero 3+ BigSkyBob. I forgot about that.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We bought and use this one: Robot Check

I was looking for one that would run continuously and the description said this would do that. It doesn't. At the end of the day/trip, whatever, I still have multiple files to deal with. I really just want one continuous recording. This is our second one in an effort to obtain continuous recording but I'm beginning to think they don't exist.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Go Pro 3 has continuous loop in its programs. Search Google for instructs.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
Living The Dream

Garmin 35 with a 64gb memory card .... activates and deactivates with the ignition.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post

I was looking for one that would run continuously and the description said this would do that. It doesn't. At the end of the day/trip, whatever, I still have multiple files to deal with. I really just want one continuous recording. This is our second one in an effort to obtain continuous recording but I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

Why? When searching for a particular event, it's easier to sort through the files by date/time stamp. Also 8 hours of video would be a HUGE file, taking a really long time to load, and might even crash your computer. Also it makes it possible for the camera to start overwriting the oldest files when the memory card fills up. If you just had several huge files, and the space filled up, it would have to delete the "entire" oldest file to make room...meaning you could potentially lose valuable video.

If you just want to "stitch" the individual files together to make a "movie" for entertainment, there are utility programs that can do that.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post

I have 2 or three different ones, Everyone one of them can be set form a continuous loop. You might have to go into the setup and change settings though.
Right now I have 2 Cobra CDR 840's and they will do it, just needed to change the settings. They also turn off and on with the ignition, or at least they do in the cars, haven't tried yet in the MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I use a Go Pro 3 as a dash camera, and when it's not on my dash I record video with it. I like it as the Go Pro is designed to be used where water and shocks are prevalent.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I use a Go Pro 3 as a dash camera, and when it's not on my dash I record video with it. I like it as the Go Pro is designed to be used where water and shocks are prevalent.
Don't you have to manually start and stop the recording? I'm using a GeekPro (Cheap GoPro) now and I have to start and stop the recordings. I ordered a Dash Cam that will auto start and stop, tired of the manual version. Should be here Thursday.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why? When searching for a particular event, it's easier to sort through the files by date/time stamp. Also 8 hours of video would be a HUGE file, taking a really long time to load, and might even crash your computer. Also it makes it possible for the camera to start overwriting the oldest files when the memory card fills up. If you just had several huge files, and the space filled up, it would have to delete the "entire" oldest file to make room...meaning you could potentially lose valuable video.

If you just want to "stitch" the individual files together to make a "movie" for entertainment, there are utility programs that can do that.
I look at it like this; I use a 64GB card which is good for at least one whole days driving. If something happens during that day that would justify keeping the video, chances are I would note what time it happened.

I don't know what kind of computer you have but mine loads up video faster than I can sit down to get comfortable. All I have to do is fast forward to just before I think the incident might have happened and start watching. It hasn't been an issue. I do all of my deleting manually which is the way I prefer it. I just format the card at the end of the day and I'm ready again.

With individual files I might have to view 3 or 4 to find what I'm looking for. Opening and closing videos isn't my cup of tea.

As far as stitching files together, well, that would just be silly. I use the dash cam only to record the rare incident that would warrant keeping video. While I am fully versed in editing video, a dash cam, for me, is just to record "emergency" type events and one long file would be preferable.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Try this to set the GO PRO to loop.

Search YOUTUBE for GO PRO continuous loop. First one that pops up is excellent.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Here is the link
Old 04-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Check out Tao Tronics dash cam on Amazon.com on sale for $74.99 with a 4+ star rating.

Tags
dash