Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello everyone! I think I have read every A/C post on this forum as well as the Workhorse forum and still have an issue. I have a 2004 33V on a W20 chassis. The dash air is blowing at 70 degrees with 108 outside temperature (yes, I live in Arizona!) When we were in Utah a couple weeks ago, it was blowing about 50 degrees with an outside temp of 70 degrees. Pressures are fine...53 low and 300 high, outside temp 108. The low side line on the expansion valve does not get very cold with the temp at 108. But it did get cold when outside temp was 70. I took out the water valve and put in 2 ball valves. No change in performance. Compressor is on when its supposed to be on, the condenser fans are on, dash air blows fine. The only thing I haven't done is evac the system and recharge with fresh refigerant. QUESTION....in the sight glass of the receiver/dryer, I have no bubbles but the refrigerant appears "white/tan color" in the sight glass....Is this correct? As you can all tell, I am trying everything to avoid taking it in to a repair facility.....

04' 38 Allegro Bus
softballdad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello everyone! I think I have read every A/C post on this forum as well as the Workhorse forum and still have an issue. I have a 2004 33V on a W20 chassis. The dash air is blowing at 70 degrees with 108 outside temperature (yes, I live in Arizona!) When we were in Utah a couple weeks ago, it was blowing about 50 degrees with an outside temp of 70 degrees. Pressures are fine...53 low and 300 high, outside temp 108. The low side line on the expansion valve does not get very cold with the temp at 108. But it did get cold when outside temp was 70. I took out the water valve and put in 2 ball valves. No change in performance. Compressor is on when its supposed to be on, the condenser fans are on, dash air blows fine. The only thing I haven't done is evac the system and recharge with fresh refigerant. QUESTION....in the sight glass of the receiver/dryer, I have no bubbles but the refrigerant appears "white/tan color" in the sight glass....Is this correct? As you can all tell, I am trying everything to avoid taking it in to a repair facility.....

04' 38 Allegro Bus
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

im no expert but i think your pressures are a little high for 134 gas. low side 24 to 44 should be about right. also at 108 outside 300 high side might be ok but i would get out the simple green and waater hose and make sure your radiator and condenser are clean so you get the most air flow thru them. Don
Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

the sight glass should be clear also. Don
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don.....thanks! thats the info I was looking for....Clear sightglass. I will evac and start fresh and go from there.

04' 38 Allegro Bus
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If it appears to be tan in the sight glass, I's suspect you are seeing foam. Should be a clear liquid, unless some has added a tracer dye.

Also, sounds as if you are groping in the dark and could cause some serious damage before you locate the problem and a cure. Best thing to do is pony up the $$$ and take it to a tech which can work on the dash air.

Ken
Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all of you for responding......we'll get er' blowing cold.......or just bake here in AZ at 115!!!

04' 38 Allegro Bus
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I hope you get your problem solved. I don't know a whole lot about A/C but I used to be a charter bus driver. While in AZ at the end of July beginning of August, the passengers complained about the heat in the bus. We took the buses to a service center, and they confirmed that the A/C in all the buses was working correctly. They said at that time, that the A/C in the bus was only good for about 25-30 degrees of cooling. With temps above 110 degrees, it was very uncomfortable in the bus, but there was nothing they could do to help the situation.

Hopefully, you won't find the same.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We just had our motorhome into the local Workhorse service center to get the dash air fixed. It worked until I got about 5 miles out of town and then just blew hot air again. We're goin to try the dealer we bought the rv from in a couple weeks and hopefully they will get it fixed correctly and permanently. I think we have a leak somewhere that is allowing the freon to escape. 5 minutes of cold air at $200.00 for the fix is not a good deal!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote