Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash air conditioning service

Where would one take it to for general service. It's not broke but not putting
out the cool air like it used to. 10 years old. Would it be Freightliner?
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Dash air is pretty generic to the automotive industry, I'd take it anywhere that does automotive ac. Call ahead to find out if they'll take a motorhome. Use Yelp.com or RV Service Reviews to find a good place.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check your condenser fans that both are running. If they don't run it can't cool. A set of replacement fan unit (best to buy a pair set) can be purchased at most auto parts store.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with TonyMac. I took mine to a automotive air conditioner shop however they only topped off the 134A they did not try to determine the cause of the leak. Walmart sells kits to top off the 134A if you want to try it yourself.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just had my pickup topped off and it made a big difference with the cooling as it has not been serviced in 10 years also. As far as the coach...I'll take it to the guy that did the truck. I'm sure it just need to be charged. Do it your selfers....a word of warning. Adding with that little can may get you in trouble overfilling and damage to the compressor. Over filling just over 1 ounce can lead to damage. That aint much. I'll let my guy do it with the 5000.00 machine. I was going to go to the Freightliner shop but now that I know automotive air is the same I'll give it a try.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just did mine myself. I purchased the kit that comes with a gauge and 20 oz of freon. It is very easy to do and almost fool proof with the gauge. The only issue is if it needs a lot of freon it would be cheaper to take it to someone. I added 44 oz of freon to mine and still not enough. It cost almost $100.00 for the kit and additional freon. Could probably be done cheaper. Although I did not get mine to the proper pressure it now works great.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I just did mine myself. I purchased the kit that comes with a gauge and 20 oz of freon. It is very easy to do and almost fool proof with the gauge. The only issue is if it needs a lot of freon it would be cheaper to take it to someone. I added 44 oz of freon to mine and still not enough. It cost almost $100.00 for the kit and additional freon. Could probably be done cheaper. Although I did not get mine to the proper pressure it now works great.
Ron,
If you had to add this soon you may have a leak! I brought my truck in a week later and they checked the lines with a black light for any leaks. Didn't have any. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the coach.

Tags
air conditioning, dash, dash air, service