Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My cruise control just quit working. I have a 2004 Adventuer 35U on a workhourse W22 chases. When I slide the off/on switch on the cruise to the on position and press the set button the cruise light in the dash does not come on and cruise will not engage. Is there a fuse for the cruise control and is the brake switch the same as the one for the brake lights

2004 Adventurer 35U
Dick & Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My cruise control just quit working. I have a 2004 Adventuer 35U on a workhourse W22 chases. When I slide the off/on switch on the cruise to the on position and press the set button the cruise light in the dash does not come on and cruise will not engage. Is there a fuse for the cruise control and is the brake switch the same as the one for the brake lights

2004 Adventurer 35U
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Give the link a look may solve your problem.

Brake switch problems
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

007 is right, many posts about the problem... It's either the fuse or the brake light switch that's mounted against the brake pedal arm. I had to replace fuses and adjust the plastic switch.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to 007 and Ed for the reply.
I have checked the brake switch and it is working properly, with about a i/8 to 1/4 gap betwein the pluger and the brake arm, brake lights do not come on until brake arm moves this distance. Ed: I have not found the fuse for the cruse control. is it on with some other items. If you have replaced it , can you tell me its location or what it is labeled. I have the same chassis as yours

2004 Adventurer 35U
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The CC inorder to work, the brake arm has to rest and push in the switch for CC to operate. If you have a gap between the plunger of switch and the upper brake arm the CC will not work.

The brake arm as it is used will wear a beveled edge on the plastic plunger so I added a sticky rubber strip to prevent the wear and fill the gap.
The gap was filled in with a piece of sticky back rubber 3/16" in order to close the switch.
If you run a dollar bill between the plunger on switch and the upper brake arm with no reasistance the CC will not work.

While your driving and using CC the upper brake arm is pushing in the plunger for CC to work.
As I said its very differcult to work on this and you have to work by touch to check that gap and put on rubber strip.

Be very careful because you are also working against the brake pump when pushing in plunger and down on brake to do all this.

This switch on mine controls the electric steps,lights, CC and brake pump dependant on what action the brake pedel is operating.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On mine it was the 10 amp fuse for the brake. I also had to adjust the plunger/switch for the brake arm. When the plunger makes contact with the brake pedal arm you can hear it make contact, a very destintive click.
The 10 amp fuse is in the engine compartment fuse panel. On the inside cover you'll find a fuse label and location of each... See if there is a 10 amp fuse for the brake and check it...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sorry 007: I described my brake switch wrong. the switch is a NC switch. The plunger of the switch is depressed when the brake is at rest and the brake arm moves about i/8" before the brake lights come on as the circut closes. as I stated my brake lights are working properly.
Ed/full time: I did find the 10amp fusesin the box behind the hood and I checked one marked brake and one marked cruse both are good. we are having snow in Mpls. so I will wate a few days before I go back to looking for the problem

2004 Adventurer 35U
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a simular problem that maybe someone can offer some insight. If I have the cruise control on and turn it off by on/off switch and than turn it back on and set it works fine but if I disengage by stepping on brake pedal than try to re engage by pressing resume 4out of five times it will not work again and won't work until I stop, Turn off engine and restart. What do you think.
jimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Well, You got me! I would replace both fuses anyway just to make sure they are good.. I had one when I checked it with a circuit light it checked fine, but when I pushed it back in it wouldn't work... It turned out to be a hair-line crack in the fuse. After finding that I went through all the fuses and put silicon grease on all the contact points just to make sure everything was good.
Maybe someone else out there can help?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

OK try this as you are driving down road and you lose your CC put your foot under the brake pedel and lift up brake with your toes.
If you can rengage your CC you have a problem with the plunger of your switch the brake is not returning to normal position to engage switch.
Another thing that can be done is place a spring on the arm of your brake linkage coming off your brake cylinder to pull brake pedel as far back as it can to operate your switch.
I found it was easier to place a sticky rubber strip between plunger and upper arm of brake pedel to keep plunger from wearing any more than it has and solve the problem.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I will have to try that thing about brake pedal. I did check out the fuse thing but in looking at the manual the only fuse for the CC that was metioned was one with about 4-5 other thing on it also. Has anyone found one dedicated to the CC?
jimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Something else I found out this weekend my switch has threads on the plastic portion that goes thru mounting plate, my cruise control was still cutting off, so I got on the floor again and remover the two plugs that plug into switch. After a struggle getting them off, both locking tabs face the back of MH, use small blade screwdriver to release plug and pull out.
You than can turn the switch around, turning clock wise towards the brake arm and you will make up for wear to plunger so switch operates correctly. After I did this CC would work until I hit a bump in road so I have to take it up a notch more.
I wonder how many dealers know this trick and charge people for a new switch.