Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Creaking and popping while on jacks.

I have a 2014 Tour 42QD. Lately when we camp and put the jacks down we hear interment creaking and popping sounds when we walk around inside the coach. The sounds come from both the front and back. It sounds like it is coming from around the area where the wheels and jack are. We also hear the sounds when the outside temperature increases in the mornings. Could it be the bolts on the jacks are loose or what could it be?
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Do you have hydraulic jacks? If so, most likely the fluid compress/decompress creating the sounds. There is a CAT fluid additive that lots of folks have had success with. I can't recall which exact part #. You should be able to search it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's most likely your air bags deflating and settling down on the rails. I bet it stops after a while, when all the air is out. Also they may still 'pop' after a while due to changes in atmospheric pressure changes. It's the bag setting itself back down on it's supports.

You can hear this when airing up also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

For many--the explanation might be with the design of the jacks as they are mounted to the frame rails. They are often bolted on at a slight angle which overtime means the foot of the jack will tend to "walk" a bit on the parking surface. Slight pressure leaks over an extended stay in the jack or solenoids may cause the Rv to become a bit un-level and intensify the sounds.....just a thought or two as to why....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Are you camping on a concrete pad? We have one, and if I don't put pads under my jack while on concrete, we get the same creaking banging when we walk. The pads silenced that.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes we are on concrete right now. I have also heart the sounds when on gravel. But it seems louder now while we are on concrete. I will try the pads and see if this helps.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

mine was doing it real bad at first (drivers rear) it was replaced under warranty. last year it was replaced under extended warranty because after parking in one spot for an extended period that corner would drop out of level. i still get the popping sound at times, especially when the temperatures drop at night. it was suggested to flush out the fluids and put in a synthetic at a cost of about $200 but no sure fix. so we left it.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I have a 2014 Tour 42QD. Lately when we camp and put the jacks down we hear interment creaking and popping sounds when we walk around inside the coach. The sounds come from both the front and back. It sounds like it is coming from around the area where the wheels and jack are. We also hear the sounds when the outside temperature increases in the mornings. Could it be the bolts on the jacks are loose or what could it be?
I experienced the same sounds on my 15 Adventurer...a little research and I found this:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf

Had my dealer install the Cat Hydraulic fluid and that took care of the creaking and popping sounds...we experienced the popping noise when the temps went up during the day.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for this information. I did additional research and found many instances where this fixed the problem. I love this site you can find solutions for almost anything.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We winter in Yuma, AZ. The overnight temps are often in the 50's ... we are parked headed almost north ... about a half hour after the sun comes up I know the entry door will make a noise ... it is expansion from the solar heating of the door.

Other parts of your coach also expand or contract with change of temperature between the inside and outside temps ...

I also know that the crows and doves will walk around on the roof harvesting the dew ... took me a while to figure that one out ... finally saw the crows on the rig next door ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Creaking and popping while on jacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post

Ron
My experience with my rear jacks doing the same:
I Called Winnebago and they hooked me up with a Lippert rep. I explained what was happening in detail to him. He told me that there were a bad batch of jacks manufactured. He explained that these jacks were fine until the user extended them to the max stop. This would slightly damage the inner seal and cause a slight leakage internally.
He told me to look at the rear jack sticker and give him the date. (Don't rub hard it will wipe the info off) one of the dates during the bad run of jacks was 10/23/2012. I told him I would remove and replace them if he would send the replacements to me. The jacks came I exchanged them and sent the bad jacks back in the same box. They come without the foot.
I have not had any noise since. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462032953.789563.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	125647

My personal belief about the additive is that it is only a seal enhancer and not good for the long run. But it sure beets them not having to replace the jacks now.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks