Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Crank Out Window Removal

Hi,

I'm looking for info on how to remove the lower crank out window used on most RV's these days. I have three that the seal has broken on and now have moisture trapped between the dual glaze. I can get the repair made, but can't find anything on the removal of the lower crank out window.

Thanks in advance,

Fred,

2014 Itasca Meridian 34B
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
2014 Journey 36M

Took one out on my 14 Journey 36M....seems like there are a couple of screws visible under the hinge once you crank it open....I can't recall exactly and coach not nearby so can't check, but i remember it was easy once i found the screws. Sorry not more help!
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Wheelcrazy

Remove the handle (crank) from the mechanism.Drill out the 2 rivets that attach the crank assembly to the Window frame. Push the window outwards, slide the flat bars that push the window open out of the tracks and remove. There is usually a small round foam or rubber seal about 5/16” diameter between the stationary upper window and the lower moveable window , pry this seal out. Rotate the lower window up 90 degrees or more, to a horizontal or higher position. Pull down at the hinge point and it should come out. I reinstalled the crank mechanism with 2 small stainless screws and nuts rather than rerivet. It is actually easy to do after you have done it once and understand the process. I’ve done it 3 times. This method applies to the newer style, flush mount (“frameless”), double pane, windows.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Super easy fix! Didn't even need to remove the crank handle. Did two windows in about two hours start to finish. One thing I did find though was that in just about three months the moisture that had been trapped inside had left etching on the glass. Cleaned them with alcohol and glass cleaner and you can still see faint water marks. Not real obvious, but it's there.

Thanks guys for the advice!

Fred
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, window