Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cost of removing and replacing carpeting in a motorhome

We are considering removing the carpeting in our 2004 Winnebago Journey. It is rather average condition and looks a bit shop worn. I've looked inquired at 2 or 3 companies that replace flooring (currently Bradd & Hall, in Elkhart, Indiana looks far and away the best to me). I have made two inquiries with Winnebago at their headquarters in Forest City, Iowa. I explained what I wanted to have done, and was told that someone would get back to me. I waited one month, made another inquiry and was told the same thing...someone would call me. That was over a week ago. I guess Winnebago in Forest City is rolling in dough and doesn't need the business. Thus, I've looked elsewhere.......Bradd & Hall respond promptly. Be that as it may, have any of you replaced your flooring? What approximately am I looking at with regard to cost? (I'm going to find out soon since I will be making a trip soon to Bradd & Hall in Elkhart.) I know it depends on how much flooring will be replaced, and with what material, but I would like to at least get a ball park figure. Another issue involves type of flooring. I don't want carpet any longer. Thinking about going with a nice tile. I have noticed a number of installs that have used what looks like, appears to be, laminate flooring. Since laminate flooring has to move, will this work in a motorhome? I've installed laminate flooring in my home. I won't attempt to install any type of flooring in my motorhome. Right now, thinking of going the whole way from front to bedroom with a good looking tile. Appreciate comments, opinions, and whatever anyone can share to enlighten me about cost. Thanks.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Most large carpet companies can handle the job. You do not need to go back to the factory area.

Ken
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We replaced our carpet with laminate flooring everywhere except in the cockpit area. We did it ourselves so our cost won't be very helpful, but as I recall it was about $1200 including some tools I bought (air stapler, air brad nailer, good saber saw).
It sure is better than carpet. Much easier to keep clean.

If i was going to do it again I would take a close look at Allure vinyl strip flooring by TrafficMaster. It floats like laminate but has adhesive on undercuts on the edges. The strips overlap and stick to each other. It can be cut with a utility knife or shears and should be pretty easy to install.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We just replaced our carpeting in the living room dining room - kitchen area with heavy vinyl tile. Sure is an improvement. We had to put down 1/4" underlayment as the sub floor was rough and had a lot of screw holes and etc. in it. Total cost was under $300.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My previous coach was a 03 Horizon 36. We had laminate flooring put down to replace all of the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathroom and the area between the two front seats. Total cost was about $1200. The installers used a laminate that was thinner that that normally used in homes so flexing was not a problem. In two years of use we had no problems.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was told, "If you ever need carpeting, just go to a reputable carpet store." There is no need to have an RV place or the factory do it. This is a second a comment above.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Several people in our WIT club have had work done at Precision in Breman Ind. and have been very pleased.

Precision RV Interiors - Homepage
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Just purchased seven cases of Traffic Master Dimensions Resilient Flooring-Allure, from Home Depot ($1.79 sq ft) and plan to do the installation myself once the weather cools down. Will leave the carpet around the cockpit and bedroom. Never want to deal with carpeting again, just too much upkeep.
Good luck with whatever you choose...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We replaced our carpet with laminate flooring check this thread for pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/99-t...ete-55619.html
We did it ourselvs and the cost was between seven and eight hundred dollars. The flooring came from Home Depot and so far no problem. It is floating with trim covering the edges. The trim was the bigest reason we bought from Home Depot (Product made by Dupont). I was a little leary about the slide scratching it up but I see no problems after four trips in about three months.

Dick
Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We replaced ours in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N with Pergo Laminate from Home Depot. Replaced it from front seat belt posts to just before the bathroom door. Did not track cost but as I remember it was well under $1,000.
As others have commented it is easy to keep up, looks good, & a few area rugs
let you change the look easily & as often as you like.
If interested photos of that & other projects at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We replaced all the carpet in an 01 Suncruiser with laminate. We decided that the best carpet to have in an RV is none at all.

A little Swiffer and the floor is clean.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just had the carpet in our 99 Adventurer replaced. We had all the carpet and vinyl removed, and put NAFCO Permastone tile in the kitchen dining area, hallway and bathroom. Put carpet in the bedroom, living area and cab area. It took a 12x20 piece of carpet (about $600) and about 90 SF of tile (about $300) and $1,800 labor ($300 a day). Pretty spendy, but looks nice. Had a higher quality pad installed under the carpet. I removed the dining room table, the couch, the recliner, both "captain's" seats, the cabinet behind the couch and both side cabinets by the bed, so the carpet is "wall-to-wall."
According to our RV salesman, we preserved the value of the motorhome.
Hey, we like it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We are currently at Bradd & Hall having our carpet replaced with laminate flooring. This is day two for the project and so far we are very pleased with the progress. The cost will depend on the type of flooring used as well as the area covered. We have seen many jobs Bradd & Hall have completed and are very impressed with their craftsmanship. After having been in the shop and watching the techs we are pleased with their professionalism. We will post pictures when the job is completed.
munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
We replaced ours in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N with Pergo Laminate from Home Depot. Replaced it from front seat belt posts to just before the bathroom door. Did not track cost but as I remember it was well under $1,000.
If interested photos of that & other projects at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
Wow, nice job. Was it hard to remove the org rest easy sofa and why did you rpl the sofa?P.S. I think its called rest easy. I have the one with the push button that lowers the sofa to a bed.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
can do
http:groups.yahoo.com/group/erniesremodelingandrepair
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi jdsr. I did not have a rest easy sofa, that is one reason I removed the original(jacknife sofa). It was not hard to remove, the hardest part was getting the replacement through the doorway. The replacement is a queen sleeper sofa, it takes a lot of room when opened, but the replacement chair is easily temporarily moved & I made a portable cover for the stairwell to prevent someone from accidentally falling in the hole.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi jdsr. I did not have a rest easy sofa, that is one reason I removed the original(jacknife sofa). It was not hard to remove, the hardest part was getting the replacement through the doorway. The replacement is a queen sleeper sofa, it takes a lot of room when opened, but the replacement chair is easily temporarily moved & I made a portable cover for the stairwell to prevent someone from accidentally falling in the hole.
thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I replaced all the carpet in my 36ft Journey DL with a high grade linoleum that looks like wood. It also has a padded backing which i would think helps reduce road noise. Real nice stuff. I paid $2,000 total including installation. Local floor guy had it done in 2 days. Looks amazing. Not a fan of laminate bc water can get under it causing bubbles.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

remodeling

Quote:
looked at your albums and what a great change...did you do all the work yourself??????????looks just like home...
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
I replaced all the carpet in my 36ft Journey DL with a high grade linoleum that looks like wood. It also has a padded backing which i would think helps reduce road noise. Real nice stuff. I paid $2,000 total including installation. Local floor guy had it done in 2 days. Looks amazing. Not a fan of laminate bc water can get under it causing bubbles.

Just wondering what you did with the carpet that is on the main slide? Our slide goes out and then down. It worries me about replacing the carpet because of that. What happens if you get a rock or something that will scratch the flooring?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote