Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Summing it up: Read your coach's manual and follow the instructions.

This thread will reappear in six months.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampphillips View Post
Lets see, alternator put out 160 amps (more or less), pedestal puts out 50 amps.

Someone at the very least, needs to read the manual(s).

HUMMMMMMMMMM 160/12 = 13.3 50/1 = 50 don't forget 12 volts vs. 120 volts
I'm not an electrician so could you explain the formula you are using? What is the 13.3, the 1 and the second 50?

I would have used Watt's Law where power = amps x voltage

160A x 12v is 1920w and 50A x 120v is 6000w
Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Lets see, alternator put out 160 amps (more or less), pedestal puts out 50 amps.

Someone at the very least needs to understand voltage and electricity.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

You need to understand that the levelers and slides are powered by the chassis batteries in Winnebago coaches. The primary charging source for the chassis batteries is the alternator and they receive only a trickle charge from the coach inverter/ charger when parked. The advice to run the engine is related to the significant current requirement to level or move the slides. The coach batteries are not deep cycle and will not take the depletion cycles the house batteries will hence you need to run the engine \ alternator to not depleted the chassis batteries
The 50 amp versus alternator argument is irrelevant because the coach batteries receive only a small portion of the output of the charger - no where near enough to fully power the slides or levellers - and the recovery time for the chassis batteries much longer due to the small charge provided compared with the house batteries. So it is not as simple as comparing the capacities of the power sources.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Page 10-4 of the 2012 Tour operator's Manual:

"Start the engine so the alternator can provide maximum power for proper operation of the slideout mechanisms".

Forgive me for believing my lying eyes. How could Winnebago be so wrong??
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Pretty much everyone says the same things...
1. A slide will operate much better if the coach is level...so the chassis is square and gravity does not affect the motion of the slide. Harder for the slide to operate if the front is 6" lower than the rear.

2. Have adequate voltage to run the equipment. Hence a running engine or charger is much better than engine off.

3. Don't believe the "Air Tight" wives tale. You can just about fit your entire hand between the cutout and the slide during extend/retract. If you actually feel your ears poping, it is probably because you farted with your shoes on

4. Then there is the air-bag question - dump air first or last. I have seen different coaches state the opposite in their manual. I think it is more related to them worrying that you might extend your slide into something. but I think your in trouble either way if you don't have room.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

X2 what bobmac said!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, bobmac. You said it so much better than I did. Ugh! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Thanks bobmac, as many times has I have looked at the drawings I never noticed that the slides were connected to the chassis batteries. I do have the Battery Isolation Manager relay but I don't know how fast it will kick in. I will be changing when I shut down the engine.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Quote:
Page 10-4 of the 2012 Tour operator's Manual:

"Start the engine so the alternator can provide maximum power for proper operation of the slideout mechanisms".

Forgive me for believing my lying eyes. How could Winnebago be so wrong??
Reading the manual is the proper thing to do and your completely correct about that and about which supplies the power, but not why it does.

The first statement is not correct. 160A at 12v is less power than 50A at 120v - Watt's Law. The reason for the use of the alternator, in this case is because the pedestal won't apply any power since the slides operate off the chassis batteries and they are at best trickle charged by the house battery. And prior to 2006, the chassis batteries are not charged at all by the house battery or pedestal. I found that out the hard way and installed a Amp-L-Start.

Tags
slide, slideout