Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Adventurer 35U that began to leak coolant this past Tuesday. Has anyone had this problem and had the refer repaired? Curious about time to take it out, get repaired, and replaced. Have an appt with RV dealer on the 22nd and scheduled to leave for GNR on July 9th.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
03 Ford Windstar W/Brake Buddy
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Adventurer 35U that began to leak coolant this past Tuesday. Has anyone had this problem and had the refer repaired? Curious about time to take it out, get repaired, and replaced. Have an appt with RV dealer on the 22nd and scheduled to leave for GNR on July 9th.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Not on a fridge less than 10 years old.

Are you taking it to one of the following RV dealers in Great Falls?

MCCOLLUM MODERN RVS INC
4200 10TH AVE S
GREAT FALLS, MT 59405
406-761-3520

TRAVEL TIME RV
4035 10TH AVENUE SOUTH
GREAT FALLS, MT 59405
406-454-0777

They are both listed as certified Norcold service centers.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Taking it to McCollum's. They remove it and then sub it out for repair and reinstall when completed.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
Old 06-16-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Cooling units are usually replaced and not repaired, however, some service operations might want to use a repaired unit from stock for your replacement. If it were me, I would insist on a new cooling unit and not a repaired unit due to difficulty in successfully repairing cooling units.

Probably less than half a day job, and maybe only a couple of hours or less for an experienced tech.

Most likely the biggest issue will be the availability of parts since there are dozens of different cooling units - the shop will need to order your specific model. Also, the cooling units can only be sent via ground transportation (no air freight) due to the ammonia content.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If the job is being subbed out then it's going to take longer for sure.

What I don't get is McCollum's is supposed to be a certified Norcold service center for dual gas-electric refrigerators (per the Thetford web site anyay). I don't understand how they can be listed that way if they sub out the work.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Will be talking to McCollum's tomorrow a.m. (Monday). After reading the Norcold Instal manual, they are rather emphatic about replacing and not repairing the cooling unit from a safety standpoint. Will see what their response is and will update.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
Old 06-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Repairing an Aqua-Ammonia refrigerator is a highly specialized job. It takes special tools and skills to handle the ammonia and salts that goes in to the system. I doubt seriously if the dealer or even the coach manufacturer will anyone remotely qualified to actually work on the refrigerator.

The thing that is usually done is to replace the cooling unit in the case of a leak. A leak is very apparent due to the smell of ammonia.

Ken
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I understand how a typical RV dealer would not be able to do the work. The Norcold service center in my area is a not an RV dealer but rather a place that specializes in RV regfrigerators and similar appliances and has all the tools to do the work, etc. So my question is how do you tell the difference in reality of the "service center" label as found the Theford/Norcold web site?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

There are very few places that will work on the actual ammonia system. It is totally unlike any refrigeration system you have seen before. It is chemical process where your home refrigerator and A/C are mechanical compression and relatively easy to under stand by comparison.

Nearly all of the "service centers" only remove the unit and replace it. They then send the old unit or core back to the shop that does the repairs.

The chemical balance between the water, ammonia and salts is very precise and the components are weighed very precisely in to the system once the repairs are made. The system has to be pulled into a very deep vacuum to insure all of the non-condensibles are removed.

A shop can generally have a new cooling section a a matter of days for most refrigerators.

Ken
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

You can have your cooling unit removed and rebuilt or an already rebuilt cooling unit installed in most areas of the US. Look in the yellow pages. Do not go through an RV dealer as they just sub them out.

I had the cooling unit rebuilt locally in my old '94 Vectra just before trading it in 2 1/2 years ago. Drove coach over and they removed the fridge. He rebuilt the unit and I drove back in a week and they installed the fridge while I waited. This was the largest 2 door Norcold made. Cost was ~$690 with a 3 year full guarantee. And the fridge worked great.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I think I found the key to my "service center" question. My local Norcold service center is also a distributor. I will count myself lucky in this regard.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The dealer contacted me Thursday, 6/28, to bring my coach to them so their could reinstall the refrigerator. A new cooling unit was intalled and have had it on through the weekend and everything is fine. Thanks for the replies and will be leaving a week from tomorrow for GNR.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
03 Ford Windstar w/Brake Buddy