Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coolant bottle replacement CAT 3126

I have a 2001 UA with a CAT 3126. Last time in for service I was advised that the coolant overflow bottle has several spider cracks in it and needed to be replaced. They also said the minute they attempt to remove the power steering resevoir that bottle would crack also. Said I needed to figure around $1200 to do both. The coolant bottle is $106.00 at freightliner and the power steering resevoir is $216.00. Anyone ever been told that both will have to be replaced? Apparently the power steering resevoir has to be removed to get the coolant bottle out. Wondering if I should just buy both and carry with me. Has anyone had the ps bottle break while trying to change the coolant bottle?? Thanks
WIDGET33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Read somewhere that u can buy this from I believe US Plastics for about $40 for both.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't know how different my 04 with a CAT7 is from your RV but I replaced the coolant tank and there was no need to "mess" with the power steering fluid tank. I bought the tank at a local Freightliner dealer for over $100.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDGET33 View Post
I have a 2001 UA with a CAT 3126. Last time in for service I was advised that the coolant overflow bottle has several spider cracks in it and needed to be replaced. They also said the minute they attempt to remove the power steering resevoir that bottle would crack also. Said I needed to figure around $1200 to do both. The coolant bottle is $106.00 at freightliner and the power steering resevoir is $216.00. Anyone ever been told that both will have to be replaced? Apparently the power steering resevoir has to be removed to get the coolant bottle out. Wondering if I should just buy both and carry with me. Has anyone had the ps bottle break while trying to change the coolant bottle?? Thanks
Hope the $1200.00 quoted cost includes a lot more than two plastic tanks

Just did the Collent Recovery Tank on my Discovery. Not a complex job and the tank cost $102 and change from my local Freightliner Dealer.

Here's the details on the tank and additional info on fabing some uv covers

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/radia...ew-102916.html
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. My only access is from under the bed. Did the tank come out from inside or outside? Just by looking at mine it appears just getting the to disconnects is going to be half the problem. Do you know if there are any videos or pictures of actual removal steps? Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Go to search and type in ; Replaced surge tank on 330 cat journey
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Getting the old one out was easy once I decided it didn't have to come out in one piece. One fastener is difficult to get at/remove so I used a sawzall to cut the tank apart, then it came out quickly.

Access on ours was from under the bed and from the back, the metal shroud on top of the tank (as viewed from the back) comes off easily.

I think our tank cost $86 when I picked it up at Gaffney a couple of years ago.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDGET33 View Post
Thanks. My only access is from under the bed. Did the tank come out from inside or outside? Just by looking at mine it appears just getting the to disconnects is going to be half the problem. Do you know if there are any videos or pictures of actual removal steps? Thanks again.
Here's written instructions on the tank removal process and tools required. Follow this info and you should be able to get the job done Once you have the closet floor opened up this is what you'll see.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/...be7cb1e2_z.jpg

FreighlinerSurgeTankReplacement
Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #9

On the 3126/Freightliner Frame there are 2 differant tanks; The one showen in the picture the bolts Go vertical Up and down. On our 2000 freightliner X chassic the 2 bolts go horazontily Side to side. All are not alike.. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mine does not have a closet floor and must be accessed under the bed. It looks pretty straight forward but I can see where the forward bolt on the passenger side will be a problem. Whats the trick to keep from spilling fluid all over the ground? I assume it has to come out through the bedroom opening. Also did you do anything special to make sure there was no air in the system once the tank was installed? Thanks Again. This forum is great!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I hope this helps. It's pretty much self explanatery.

Over this weekend I replaced the plastic radiator surge tank which had cracking from UV and was leaking..Searched the forum first and pick up several tips which saved time and money..first, the replacement tank costs about $107 at the Freightliner dealer....Getting the old tank out requires removing the cowling above the radiator..simple to do until youi get to the right side..The original tank was mounted prior to winne putting the body on and thus there are 2 bolts with nuts out of sight behind the mounting frame that cannot be reached...You can turn the bolts but the nuts turn also.
Forum suggestion was to get a sawz all and cut the plastic mounting tabs off the tank..This requires removing the bed and opening up the engine area...Once the tabs are cut, you can get a wrench on the nuts and it is an easy removal..
In addition to the overflow hose at the pressure cap,you need to remove two small hoses on top of the tank and then from inside, the main hose to the engine. Then simply disconnect the low coolant warning wires and pull out the tank from the rear.
Once the tank is out, remove the low coolant probe from the old tank and screw it into the new tank.
Now comes the next "read it on the forum" trick to installing the new tank..Instead of using nuts and bolts on the 2 tabs on the right side, purchase two 5/8th metal clips and bolts and slide the clips over the plastic tabs and then put the tank in place and place the bolts thru the mount holes on the body side...the clips allow the bolt to tighten simply by turning the bolt with a wrench.
Install the hoses and connect the low coolant warning wires and you are good to go...Drive it till it heats up to normal and then burp the tank after it cools...It took about 1/2 gallon of new antifreeze to make up for what spills on the replacement..
Found out for myself that I could not do the job strictly from the rear. All hoses were removed from the engine side very easily.
Last "found it on the forum" advice was to replace all the hose metal clips with good radiator worm gear hose clamps and make a rubber flap which hangs down from the top of the rear compartment and shades the tank and hydralic resavoir from the sun.
Job took a total of 4 hours from start to finish....Hope this info helps someone else on this forum...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
On the 3126/Freightliner Frame there are 2 differant tanks; The one showen in the picture the bolts Go vertical Up and down. On our 2000 freightliner X chassic the 2 bolts go horazontily Side to side. All are not alike.. Life is good.
With all due respect, I believe you are mis-informed. The tank that is in the picture has two vertical holes showing on the right side of the tank and two horizontal mounting holes which are located on the bottom left side of the tank and are hidden from view.

Top view of tank!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/...be7cb1e2_z.jpg

Here's a picture of the botton side of the same tank which clearly shows the vertical and horizontal holes.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6188/...3572b704_z.jpg
Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Chuck 1935,

You are great. Just had my surge tank replaced, it cost $785.00 and took all day. Then they ran into the front of my coach with their tow truck. Some folks have all the luck. Anyway, good for you. Your an insperation.

Yes, I will make a sun shield for the tanks. Good idea. Thank you.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Chuck 1935,

You are great. Just had my surge tank replaced, it cost $785.00 and took all day. Then they ran into the front of my coach with their tow truck. Some folks have all the luck. Anyway, good for you. Your an insperation.

Yes, I will make a sun shield for the tanks. Good idea. Thank you.

Pine Tree
Thanks pine tree but I got that from RLK2. I followed his steps to replace my own tank and put on a sun shield. Don't forget to also cover the Plastic hydraulic tank if your is back there.

Tags
cat, replacement