Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Connecting Propane Grill to Motorhome Propane Tank

I have a 2002 Journey DL 36GD. I would like to connect a gas grill to the coach propane tank. I've been looking at youtube videos but I've not found one that matches the propane tank setup on the DL. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to blow myself up at least until after Christmas.
rhigg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Since no one else jumped in even though I don't have a 2002 Journey here is what I think will fix it. I believe it was in early 2002 they changed the propane tank connectors from the smaller one to the larger one with big threads. I would think that your coach as the older one so looking at the videos and products out there you are not seeing what you have. You would need an adapter to go between connector. Here is one:

Adapter old to new: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4h49y6sqjs_b

Grill adapters are available at Amazon and Camping World. The grill adapter is connected after the regulator so you end up with low pressure propane for your grill. You will need a grill without a regulator. I think they use low pressure for safety, However, I would think it would be possible to insert a t-adapter coming off the tank before the regulator and have a high pressure connection that you could connect a hose to. The question would be what pressure are the hoses good for and is it safe. My coach came with a low pressure outlet on the passenger side for a barbecue and It has a quick connector end on it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Propane attachment

Hi bud, Camping World,Stay longer propane adapter kit 49.54. I've been using this for my grill for 7-8 years now .love it wouldn't be without it. It also has an additional quick connect to attach an external larger tank say for cold weather
Notice I secured the piece with a brace because after 5 years it vibrated lose . It was scary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_082446.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	169176  
sdrtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the information.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

One thing I'll note, if you mean you want to connect to a quick disconnect port on your RV that is low pressure 10" Water Col. Pressure and you would have to connect to your external grill on the burner side of the grill, bypassing the regulator that connects to a propane tank. Many propane grills use a lower water col pressure than 10" to feed their burners so this is iffy. You might not get a usable flame off the grill if it was not designed for the 10" WC pressure right to the burners. Can't be of more help because I have never tried to make this work. I just have a little grill that uses 1 pound bottles and don't use enough propane on the grill to make it worth the trouble to hook it up to the RV.

If you mean you want to connect to one of the high pressure ports on an Extend-A-Stay tee that is the high pressure vapor side of your propane system and you would find a hose that matches the high pressure connector on your BBQ grill on one end and the port on the Extend-A-Stay on the other end.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was wanting to connect a small grill that uses the small 1lb bottles to the rv propane tank.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Team

My Adventurer came with a low pressure quick connect outside for connecting to grills. Since it is a low pressure connection, I had to remove the regulator on the Weber Q100. I’m not very mechanically inclined, but it was a piece of cake, and there are several videos online to demonstrate. I removed the regulator, and added a 1/8 inch female to 1/4 inch female connector, then added a quick connect to the end. Presto! Here’s a photo, and it works like a charm!

macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigg1959 View Post
I was wanting to connect a small grill that uses the small 1lb bottles to the rv propane tank.
As you've likely figured out, If you want to connect a grill that uses 1lb bottles to your Motorhome propane tank you need to connect it upstream of the motorhome regulator. If you connect the grill downstream of the regulator then you have to remove the regulator that is currently on the grill. Removing the regulator from the grill means you can no longer use 1lb bottle for grilling. As posted there are several different varieties of "extend-a-stay" devices that allow you to connect an external propane bottle to your RV for additional propane capacity. In addition to that you can also connect your motorhome directly to your grill with no modifications to the grill.

I use 12' long hoses for my grill. IMO that is about as short as you really want to go.

Here is a video that describes how to install the "extend-a-stay".

There are literally dozens of youtube videos describing how to connect your grill to your motorhomes propane tank.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My Itasca came with a quick disconnect for an external hookup for grill attachment and to expand the possibilities, I also installed an Extend*A Stay. The problem I had with the factory installed quick quick disconnect was it came off a pressure reduced line, so I had to modify my Weber Q to remove the pressure valve on it to get it to cook properly. I got the parts to modify the Weber to except the lower pressure feed from the main tank. The site listed below is where I got the needed parts.

https://caloreequipment.com/weber-q-...-fittings.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017 RV Supply Storage  (8).JPG
Views:	418
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	169181  
Old 12-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

rhigg1959 - I’m pretty sure my 2002 Horizon has the same propane tank set up as your Journey. I used the Sturgi-Stay fitting with the quick connect for the hoses and I am very happy with it. Since my regulator comes off the tank to the rear I had MBSturgis make my unit with the fittings reversed, that way the hose connections are oriented down which is more to my liking. I also added a support brace to make sure nothing vibrates loose. I’ve attached a picture of the finished installation. I have the Weber Q1200 grill and with this set up you don’t have to remove the grills regulator. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	73867580-23A8-4BBA-B74A-3810A6CD4195.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	169189  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I made a homemade propane adapter for 2018 View 24J. Using Brass 3/8 Flares and a Tee plus 3/8 brass pipe. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CwP...1bhCJCQ#Reston
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Grill propane hookup

rhigg1959, see what I did in the Propane Plumbing thread under Winnebago Class C Motorhomes.
Subsailor653 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank