Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Dik
Winnebago Watcher

Condenser fan replacement

anyone ever have to replace condenser fan in basement unit on Journey

Dik
Dik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What year is the Journey?

It's a pretty common problem with the basement units, to have Outdoor Blower (condenser) problems. The Journey uses the the same, or nearly the same unit as my '04 Chieftain. I had to replace mine in the summer of '08.

On the '05 and earlier models, the squirrel cage is metal and they will loosen up and or crack. If the Journey is '06 or later, it should have a composite plastic squirrel cage that should not need replacing. The bearing on the Outdoor blower is sintered brass and they wear out, mainly because they don't get the required few drops of oil each year. I've found a sealed ball bearing replacement the will last a lifetime.

I wrote a procedure with photos that documents the removal and repair process. Many forum member have found it quite practical to do the repair yourself. Here's a link to the pdf document.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Dik
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Duner, but I think you are referring to the evaporator fan or squirrel cage as it is often referred to.. I am talking about the condenser fan that is located at the rear on a diesel pusher. It is not a roof top or a dash unit.. I'm told I have to drop the whole unit down to access the fan.

Dik
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The condenser fan and evaporator fan is located inside the heat pump that is mounted on the passenger side rear of my Journey

I had to drop the unit to get to them. Not to difficult following Duner's instructions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Dik
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Duner,
I was a little quick on my rely. You have some excellent pictures of removal of basement unit..
It's my sons 07 Journey and I'm trying to help him out..
We should be able to get to the condenser fan from there.

Many thanks on a good reply and the pic's are very helpful.

Dik
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik View Post
Hey Duner,
I was a little quick on my rely. You have some excellent pictures of removal of basement unit..
It's my sons 07 Journey and I'm trying to help him out..
We should be able to get to the condenser fan from there.

Many thanks on a good reply and the pic's are very helpful.

Dik
Everything in the RVP documents refer to indoor or outdoor coils & blowers. I can never remember which is which regarding evap/cons coils.

I've read that many indoor blower problems is in the start-up circuit and that is accessible from the front without pulling the whole unit. You have described the symptoms of the problem, so not sure what's happening. There is an upgraded "hard start" kit available too.

So if you do pull the unit out, the ' 07 should have the newer squirrel cage. But you need to replace or at least check closely and lube both of the brass bearings.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Evaporator coil is indoor. As the refrigerant "evaporates", which is actually changing from a liquid to a gas, it absorbs heat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

In my previous post I left out the "not" in a statement to OP ...... You have not described the symptoms of the problem, so not sure what's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Evaporator coil is indoor. As the refrigerant "evaporates", which is actually changing from a liquid to a gas, it absorbs heat.
But then in Heat mode the evaporator is putting out heat, not absorbing heat. Does that make it a condensing coil in heat mode?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
In my previous post I left out the "not" in a statement to OP ...... You have not described the symptoms of the problem, so not sure what's happening.

But then in Heat mode the evaporator is putting out heat, not absorbing heat. Does that make it a condensing coil in heat mode?
Yes, the flow of refrigerant is reversed. The evaporating coil and condensing coil are merely radiators.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote