Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I talked Winnebago Service Administration yesterday. They directed me to call Attwood Customer Care at 260-463-2116, x553 or x510 for year 2 warranty coverage. They also graciously went out of their way and said once I got the part they would goodwill one hour labor at the Winnebago dealer of my choice.

I called Attwood at approximately 3pm Central time and got voice mail. To my delight one of their reps, Paul Diamond, got back to me this morning. Once the problem was described then each of us set out to verify the Winnebago and Attwood part numbers (two going at this separately ensures any discrepancies will be uncovered as you'll see next).

Winnebago was pretty quick to give me part numbers for my coach based on serial number. Unfortunately it turned out later they gave me the part numbers for the big bedroom window on the passenger side not the small one on the driver side. Paul at Attwood figured it all out and verified with me what was what based on measurements.

Then things got even better. Paul at Attwood says the flip glass out part is replaceable separately and it is something I should be able to RnR on my own (but I do have that hour of goodwill Winnie has offered up so I'll probably do that anyway).

The replacement will be delivered to my home address in two weeks just after we get back from this current trip.

All in all this has been a positive experience so far. Now we wait and see what shows up.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

That's great that they're being responsible. I guess it's too much to think that Atwood would investigate why so many have this problem and help us with older coaches also. I believe in the Easter Bunney too . Again, great thatthey're doing the right thing for you. Steve
Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I don't see how they could have refused to take care of an '05. Most of us with this problem are two and three years out now. It is a saftey hazard in every aspect. An expensive repair for an individual, if one can find some one in fact, to repair it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

This coach was built 9/04 and in service 3/05

After all the pain plus 14 weeks of downtime for 20+ warranty items in the first 6 months after 3/05 I'm just happy my initial third party supplier warranty experience went smoothly. Attwood has been a pleasure to work with so far.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I agree that the sample of folks having this problem suggests that there is something wrong with the manufacturing process.

We've had our Adventurer a little less than a year, and we've had 3 windows go so far, both BR crank outs and one on driver door.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Replacement window (just the flip out part as described previously) arrived today from Attwood. Seems modular enough for me to replace on my own. I should be able to take a stab at it this Friday. I'll take pics along the way and let you know how it turns out.

If I get in over my head I'll defer to my dealer and use the hour of labor Winnie has generaously offered.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Replacement of the flip/crank out part of the window turned out to be fairly simple and the new window pane looks great.

Possible good news for the long term is Attwood wants the failed window back for analysis (they are paying the freight).

Here's the offending window in and out of the frame. Note the standing water at the bottom (from rain).

And here is the new window installed.

I have documented my recommended steps for replacing this type of window in a separate post,
How To Replace Attwood/Excel Flip Out Window, as it applies to a more global audience than just Winnie.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:34 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

I have similar problems in my itasca 2000 32V withthe front fixed passenger side window that also has a sliding window. iwas also quoted $600 for replacement window set. Also upper fixed window on drivers side fogged. Contacted Atwoodmobile.com , they do windows for a lot of RV mfg. They will send me just the failwed seal windows. $60 for the assenger side one and $40 for the smaller driver side one. I now am looking for a local installer. Will surely be a lot cheaper!
Vt Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

This is evidently a common problem with the Atwood Windows. I had the two crank out windows in the bedroom slide of my 03 Adventurer replaced under warranty because of the same problem. It also happened on the crankout portion of the escape window. Now two years later, both of the bedroom slide windows have again fogged up.

Winnebago won't do anything because the coach is two years out of warranty; was on the phone with warranty personnel at Atwood yesterday about this issue and am waiting a reply back from them. They state that the panes cannot be removed and resealed with new glass. Time will tell.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Last year I went thru the issue of having the small pane over passenger side replaced. Not from leakage, but from BB shot.

Dealer would only replace whole unit. I ordered the glass from mobility rv near the factory. Picked it up while at the GNR & asked Winnebago to replace the glass during my service work. They would not. Said they had tried it in the past, and 4 out of 5 developed leaks again & they were stuck with replacing the whole unit under warranty. So they only replace whole units now.

I had them replace the whole unit, total of $818.06 (I had $250 ded so insurance paid rest).

I thought I would be smart and I kept the old unit, took it back to GNR & spent a day trying to get it apart. I figured I could salvage the other pieces & learn how to do it myself.

First off, that unit is HEAVY. Second, it is pretty well glued together during assembly. The metal pieces are put together really wierd.
I couldn't get anything apart without breaking the other glass, so I threw it away.

If you can find a shop to do it please let us know. I highly recommend you get a good warranty on the work.