Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The large horizontal thermopane dark tinted window that is over the driver's side door is showing condensation between the panes now. I presume I have a failure of the thermopane window/system. Is that "easy" to fix? or easy to repair/replace? or do I need to have dealer do this? Just noticed this problem this summer...
Arghh...lately, first the tv goes fritz, now this, wonder what next?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The large horizontal thermopane dark tinted window that is over the driver's side door is showing condensation between the panes now. I presume I have a failure of the thermopane window/system. Is that "easy" to fix? or easy to repair/replace? or do I need to have dealer do this? Just noticed this problem this summer...
Arghh...lately, first the tv goes fritz, now this, wonder what next?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have heard that this condition in not repairable, at least by the owner. It may be cheaper to replace the window. I have not heard of a glass shop that was able to restore the seal.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
A slide or crank out is replacable by us common folk. A fixed window is only replaceable by the pros.

Your rig is an '03, but what is the in service date? Attwood has a 2 year warranty from the in-service date. In my case I was able to get the window ship to me directly me by Atwood solely based on calling them (see postCondensation in Double Pane Window). Although I didn't need it Winnie authorized an hour worth of labor even though I was outside of their warranty.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well, Atwood doesn't consider this a warranty issue, since I am out of the warranty period. DUH!! Now, the small triangle window in front of the door is leaking. I think the water is still coming from the tinted thermopane window above. Atwood recommended I buy replacement parts from Duncan System, their distributor. I called Lichstinn (spell?) and they say the replacement for the thermopane is $481...I'll investigate some more and will post what I find out...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Suggest you file a complaint with NSTB these windows are a saftey hazzard. Fogging up until the outside rear view mirror is un-usable, (especially on cool damp days). I have filed a complaint.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just noticed today...the three pane window next to the bed on my slideouts has the middle pane with condensation...This is getting ridiculous!!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Homer: How'd you file that NTSB complaint? Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Homer: How'd you file that NTSB complaint? Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>could you let me know also?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

BOBPIE & BELGIQUE (and anyone else with this safety problem).

Google up "NHTSB" and follow prompts. Here is what you will see as a start:
Use one of the following methods to file a complaint:
Web Forms

By Phone

Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

General Information

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

* If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.

* Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

* We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.

For a prompt response from NHTSA, send your information request, suggestions, or comments to [email protected].

There is a complaint form on the website in the menu.

IMHO this does constitute a safety hazard especially on the front windows on both passenger and drivers side.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Adventurer 33V and having the same problem. The upper glass above the driver door is completely fogged and the triangular window leaks when it rains. I have re-caulked the windows with black automotive window sealant, but that is not solving the problem.
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Rick Stephenson: Go back on this thread and you will find instructions on filing a complaint with the NTSB. This is a safety hazard and hopefully we can force Atwood to recall these defective windows. You can google NTSB and follow the prompts also.