Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Compartment Door Latch Paint

I just purchased a 2014 Winnebago Journey 36M 2 months ago and have found the compartment door latches rubbing and removing the paint on the edge of the handle. I recently spoke to a neighbor who has the same latches on his 2012 Phaeton and has experienced the same issue. It appears to me that the tolerance is so close when the latch was engineered it did not account for the thickness of the paint. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what solved the problem?
kpnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpnestor View Post
I just purchased a 2014 Winnebago Journey 36M 2 months ago and have found the compartment door latches rubbing and removing the paint on the edge of the handle. I recently spoke to a neighbor who has the same latches on his 2012 Phaeton and has experienced the same issue. It appears to me that the tolerance is so close when the latch was engineered it did not account for the thickness of the paint. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what solved the problem?
www.motorhomelatches.com.
Chrome replacements look nice and cover the damaged paint.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I've experienced the same on our 13' 36M. Touch up won't help since it will chip again.

Jesse, am I missing something on the link? I could only find replacement latches on the link and not the pull handle. Chrome pulls would be a great solution.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Yes, I've experienced the same on our 13' 36M. Touch up won't help since it will chip again.

Jesse, am I missing something on the link? I could only find replacement latches on the link and not the pull handle. Chrome pulls would be a great solution.

cheers,
Joopy
Hi Jupiter
Try
http://www.rvstainless.com/DoorLatch...6/Default.aspx

IRV2 Customer review.

Summit products is where we got ours. We changed our entry door and eleven cargo handles out to chrome, what a gifference in looks! Also the mechcanical parts are steel instead of plastic. Installed ours ourselves and installed the catch's in the cargo doors with lifetime guaranteed catch's. No more nylon and plastic to break.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Jesse. Looks like a nice upgrade and solution.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

And what is the dealer saying about this issue that occured during the warranty period? Winnebago should at least reimburse you the cost of the defective OEM parts towards those that won't self destruct if they don't have a fix for this yet.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Compartment Door Latch Paint

My motorhome is presently at the dealer getting some warranty work done, the paint on the latches are on the list. Repainting does not appear to be the long term solution to this problem, however I suspect that will be the solution the manufacture will offer, time will tell. I have recently walked through an RV storage facility to do a random survey of painted latches similar to mine. I observed approximately 9 motorhomes that had similar latches to mine, 4 of these motorhomes had 1 or more latches that had paint missing or marks on the paint that appeared to be caused by rubbing. I suspect that the latches that were missing paint were on compartments that were accessed more often than the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	57676  
kpnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

That would be on the bottom of the handle then as the lock is on the top and the bay doors open sideways not up.

Tags
door, paint