Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I discovered today that my engine access door is coming loose from the metal backing as several others have reported. I have a similar problem with the "bumper" piece that goes from side to side across the back under the engine access door. I have discovered that the fiberglass on the "bumper" piece is beginning to crack on the bottom lip, probably from wind motion while driving. I am considering putting smooth headed bolts through the fiberglass to secure the pieces in place (in addition to adhesive, which I plan to talk to a body shop that has fiberglass experience about), both on the "bumper" and on the engine access door. Someone else mentioned doing that awhile back ...whoever did that, what was your experiencing in doing it, and how satisfied are you with the final appearance?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I discovered today that my engine access door is coming loose from the metal backing as several others have reported. I have a similar problem with the "bumper" piece that goes from side to side across the back under the engine access door. I have discovered that the fiberglass on the "bumper" piece is beginning to crack on the bottom lip, probably from wind motion while driving. I am considering putting smooth headed bolts through the fiberglass to secure the pieces in place (in addition to adhesive, which I plan to talk to a body shop that has fiberglass experience about), both on the "bumper" and on the engine access door. Someone else mentioned doing that awhile back ...whoever did that, what was your experiencing in doing it, and how satisfied are you with the final appearance?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It is not a good idea to bolt thru fiberglass,it will start splintering around the hole. I had similar problems both front and rear on my coach. Contact Winne for the proper epoxy, prep the parts properly(remove any paint from the surfaces to be glued and prime).Done properly it is a very strong permanent fix. From what I've seen the shiny black paint on all the brackets was never removed, the epoxy will not adhere to that.
Good Luck

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a link to the previous discussion of this issue.
There are several "fixes" discussed with the names of the products to use...
Prior "unglued" discussion
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Paul:

I believe I may have been the one who suggested I might consider bolts with stainless steel cap nuts or some type of rivets. My generator access door is loose. I have not done anything at this point.

I have a friend who has lots of experience in airframe repair and is a composite expert. I had planned to get his opinion on a satisfactory repair.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The fiberglass door on my 03 Advantage engine access door fell off. This was about 18 months after the warentee expired. I called Forest City and they covered the repair under "customer" satisfaction warentee. They stated they received a bad batch of epoxy. They made a computer service note and said all I had to do was bring the rig in to any bago repair center. I contacted La Mesa RV and they wanted 5 or 6 days to repair it. I live in my coach full time so I was able to convince them I really could remove the door hinges and bring the door in. I had already done this! Anyway after 10 days, La Mesa RV called and said the repair was done. This was the worst repair job I've ever seen and to make it worse, the paint was severly scratched. About 1/2 of the area needing reglued was actually reglued and no attempt was made to reglue the lower metal supports along the open vents. I don't trust the reglue job so before I hit the road again I will install 5 decorative bolts thru the cover. I have matching trim paint, so I'll use large bumper washers and a rubber washer and will paint the bumper washer and bolt head to match my paint. The epoxy glue holding the front cap to the roof is also coming loose and thus it's time to call Forrest City again!!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Which LaMesa RV did you visit for this poor repair?

Nick, Journey
Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've had my coach to my selling dealer for several items, two of which are issues involving the fiberglass coming loose from the framing behind it.

Winnebago has agreed to cover the expense under warranty even though I am past the initial warranty period. The dealer has ordered some parts for some other issues, and when I return the coach to them they will repair the loose fiberglass areas with "SMC DURAMIX 4050 Fiberglass Backer Repair." It's an epoxy type adhesive, and requires removal of old adhesive and prep of the area. In the material with the package, it indicates if you want a slower setting mixture you can use Duramix 4154,4186, 4188, 4189 rather than 4050.